Thought I blew the Head gasket. - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum
 

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995) > Engine & Performance Modifications

Engine & Performance Modifications Discuss Engine and performance modifications from intake to suspension to rotors to etc. :)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-16-03, 06:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 6


iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Thought I blew the Head gasket.

I thought I blew my head gasket tonight. I was driving down the road and I noticed the Temp gauge creeping up. I have not had radiator fans on the car fr 4 weeks now, due to he fact I am finding some thinner fans to make more room for the turbo kit. As long as I dont get stuck in traffic and keep air flowing through i should be fine, but a couple times this past week I got stuck in traffic and it would start to over heat, but before it hit the red or even go close I would pull over and turn the car off. So tonight I figured maybe it just ran out of fluid, but boy was I wrong, I opened up the hood and everything was soaked. I saw steam comming up from down low and I thought to my self, sheit, no turbo, I gotta go a damn head gasket job now. But I filled up some fluid and tried to make it to a gas station that was just down the road. So I did after 2 stops, the temp was really moving up quick, so I finally made it after 2 breaks and I let everything cool. I found out, the belts rubbed against the lower radiator hose and thats where it was leaking and steaming from. So I bought a repair kit and patched it up. I started back down the road after being at the gas station for 20 minutes. And after about 45 seconds it was getting hot again, so I pulled into a 24hr auto zone that was 2 lights down. I went it and was going nute, b/c I didnt know what the deal was, maybe the radiator went too, b/c I still saw leaking from under the car. I filled the radiator up with coolant and water and I was good to go. I didnt buy the new hose b/c I think I am going to get a Steel Braided Hose ($60 ) instead of $16.99 for rubber. But I made it home after filling her back up and she didnt have a problem. I am just hoping I didnt cause a near future head gasket problem. Do you think the high temps that it has been to the last week is going to cause the head gaskets to go soon?

Does anyone know some thin race fans we could use?
AlphaTouring is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-16-03, 06:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dv8
Life Ruiner
 
Dv8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: CA
Posts: 4,701


Car 1: 08' Lexus IS-F
Car 2: 91' 3.5 Hybrid Turbo
Car 3: 92'Yukon/06'Trailer


iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Re: Thought I blew the Head gasket.

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaTouring
I thought I blew my head gasket tonight. I was driving down the road and I noticed the Temp gauge creeping up. I have not had radiator fans on the car fr 4 weeks now, due to he fact I am finding some thinner fans to make more room for the turbo kit. As long as I dont get stuck in traffic and keep air flowing through i should be fine, but a couple times this past week I got stuck in traffic and it would start to over heat, but before it hit the red or even go close I would pull over and turn the car off. So tonight I figured maybe it just ran out of fluid, but boy was I wrong, I opened up the hood and everything was soaked. I saw steam comming up from down low and I thought to my self, sheit, no turbo, I gotta go a damn head gasket job now. But I filled up some fluid and tried to make it to a gas station that was just down the road. So I did after 2 stops, the temp was really moving up quick, so I finally made it after 2 breaks and I let everything cool. I found out, the belts rubbed against the lower radiator hose and thats where it was leaking and steaming from. So I bought a repair kit and patched it up. I started back down the road after being at the gas station for 20 minutes. And after about 45 seconds it was getting hot again, so I pulled into a 24hr auto zone that was 2 lights down. I went it and was going nute, b/c I didnt know what the deal was, maybe the radiator went too, b/c I still saw leaking from under the car. I filled the radiator up with coolant and water and I was good to go. I didnt buy the new hose b/c I think I am going to get a Steel Braided Hose ($60 ) instead of $16.99 for rubber. But I made it home after filling her back up and she didnt have a problem. I am just hoping I didnt cause a near future head gasket problem. Do you think the high temps that it has been to the last week is going to cause the head gaskets to go soon?

Does anyone know some thin race fans we could use?
FAL makes thin radiator fans, so does Imperial.

I'm tring to understand, by your description you dont have a turbo yet, and yet your sig implies you do, it also implies you have a 6spd, care to show photos?

If your worried about the head gasket just change it should be easy since you turboed you car and all...........

~TRu Hybrid
Dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-03, 06:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Ok
Posts: 6,027


iTrader Score: 5 reviews
I think it was a bad idea in the first place to take the fan out until you had something to replace it with. You should NEVER be driving without a radiator fan of SOME sort. Even if it is cold outside. (you live in FL, so its never very cold)

I recommend you put your radiator fan back on, get some new radiator hoses, make sure the belts are not rubbing, and have your radiator leak tested.
RangerJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 11-16-03, 06:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dv8
Life Ruiner
 
Dv8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: CA
Posts: 4,701


Car 1: 08' Lexus IS-F
Car 2: 91' 3.5 Hybrid Turbo
Car 3: 92'Yukon/06'Trailer


iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally posted by RangerJoe
I think it was a bad idea in the first place to take the fan out until you had something to replace it with. You should NEVER be driving without a radiator fan of SOME sort. Even if it is cold outside. (you live in FL, so its never very cold)

I recommend you put your radiator fan back on, get some new radiator hoses, make sure the belts are not rubbing, and have your radiator leak tested.
Exactly!

Taking off your radiator fans, sounds like something typeRkon would do. Kinda like removing your VIS from the intake manifold.

....


~TRu Hybrid
Dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-03, 07:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 6


iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Would anyone know which Part Number, which one I need. I am really tired and cant figure it out. Night/
http://store.summitracing.com/produc...earchtype=ecat
AlphaTouring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-03, 07:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dv8
Life Ruiner
 
Dv8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: CA
Posts: 4,701


Car 1: 08' Lexus IS-F
Car 2: 91' 3.5 Hybrid Turbo
Car 3: 92'Yukon/06'Trailer


iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaTouring
Would anyone know which Part Number, which one I need. I am really tired and cant figure it out. Night/
http://store.summitracing.com/produc...earchtype=ecat
http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html...-electric.html

You can answer my questions above at anytime....



~Tru Hybrid
Dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-03, 07:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 6


iTrader Score: 0 reviews
No Pictures until Jan. No Install Until DEC. I can get some pics of some parts. But check out the link in my sig. Read the site, there is some good stuff to check out. As for the fans, thanx.
AlphaTouring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-03, 03:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Washington
Posts: 1,564


Car 1: 1995 CDM Honda Legend Sedan


iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to takemorepills
Man, did TypeR get banned again?!?!?!?!?

OH, I just read that post, man, that was a dumb thing to do. I knew this guy would/will find a *reason* to not do his *turbo*.

Anyway, how can someone "capable" (most unlikely assumption) of actually engineering a Turbo setup be put off by something so simple as a blown HG?? OBVIOUSLY TypeR was not so dedicated that a BHG will stop his project.
__________________
"Sneek-E Honda DA6" "2001 Infiniti QX4 AWD+LSD"
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...1/f617b751.jpg
Transition to the Darkside

Last edited by takemorepills; 11-17-03 at 10:58 AM.
takemorepills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-03, 09:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
AKA Smartjay28
 
Johnny Kim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: East Brunswick, NJ 732
Posts: 5,671


Car 1: JDM KA7
Car 2: w203


iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Johnny Kim Send a message via Yahoo to Johnny Kim
yup...alpha got banned..why?
and is alpha-> typerkon?
__________________
Quote:
yes im in....whose dis jonny kim fella how i find him imma try a search now
Johnny Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-03, 10:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
FIXER
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,717


Car 1: 1992 Legend L 265k Black(sold) 1994 Legend LS 175K Green 1967 NOVA SS Bolero Red


iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Most BHG's start with a minor overheating event, but usually not self-induced. You probably just turned down the headgasket highway.
Jetdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-03, 10:35 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Ok
Posts: 6,027


iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally posted by smartjay28
yup...alpha got banned..why?
and is alpha-> typerkon?
alpha is typerkon. and he got banned on his other name, so when he came back on another screen name, he just got banned again.
RangerJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-03, 10:40 AM   #12 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,590


iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Re: Thought I blew the Head gasket.

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaTouring
I have not had radiator fans on the car fr 4 weeks now, due to he fact I am finding some thinner fans to make more room for the turbo kit
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-03, 10:58 AM   #13 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 746


iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Bleed your coolant system or it will continue overheating
CU-Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-03, 01:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered User
 
WhiteLegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,730


Car 1: 94 Milano Red LS coupe 6spd


iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally posted by CU-Legend
Bleed your coolant system or it will continue overheating
It doesn't matter if he bleed his coolant, without radiator fans, the coolant will continue to stay hot and overheat.
__________________
94 Milano Red LS coupe 6 speed
94 Pearl White LS Sedan (sold )
WhiteLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-03, 01:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
Wha*ever ** *akes
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Naples, FL
Posts: 2,545


Car 1: 2006 Nissan Titan


iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 95legend
ummmmmmmmm...if i was dumb enough to drive around with no radiator fans, and my car started overheating, i dont think i would worry about a blown headgasket. although, if you are dumb enough to go with no fans, im sure you would think your HG was blown.
95legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995) > Engine & Performance Modifications


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:09 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© AutoGuide