Acura Legend Forum banner

Thought I blew the Head gasket.

4K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Mike Diaz 
#1 ·
I thought I blew my head gasket tonight. I was driving down the road and I noticed the Temp gauge creeping up. I have not had radiator fans on the car fr 4 weeks now, due to he fact I am finding some thinner fans to make more room for the turbo kit. As long as I dont get stuck in traffic and keep air flowing through i should be fine, but a couple times this past week I got stuck in traffic and it would start to over heat, but before it hit the red or even go close I would pull over and turn the car off. So tonight I figured maybe it just ran out of fluid, but boy was I wrong, I opened up the hood and everything was soaked. I saw steam comming up from down low and I thought to my self, sheit, no turbo, I gotta go a damn head gasket job now. But I filled up some fluid and tried to make it to a gas station that was just down the road. So I did after 2 stops, the temp was really moving up quick, so I finally made it after 2 breaks and I let everything cool. I found out, the belts rubbed against the lower radiator hose and thats where it was leaking and steaming from. So I bought a repair kit and patched it up. I started back down the road after being at the gas station for 20 minutes. And after about 45 seconds it was getting hot again, so I pulled into a 24hr auto zone that was 2 lights down. I went it and was going nute, b/c I didnt know what the deal was, maybe the radiator went too, b/c I still saw leaking from under the car. I filled the radiator up with coolant and water and I was good to go. I didnt buy the new hose b/c I think I am going to get a Steel Braided Hose ($60 :( ) instead of $16.99 for rubber. But I made it home after filling her back up and she didnt have a problem. I am just hoping I didnt cause a near future head gasket problem. Do you think the high temps that it has been to the last week is going to cause the head gaskets to go soon?

Does anyone know some thin race fans we could use?

See less See more
#2 ·
AlphaTouring said:
I thought I blew my head gasket tonight. I was driving down the road and I noticed the Temp gauge creeping up. I have not had radiator fans on the car fr 4 weeks now, due to he fact I am finding some thinner fans to make more room for the turbo kit. As long as I dont get stuck in traffic and keep air flowing through i should be fine, but a couple times this past week I got stuck in traffic and it would start to over heat, but before it hit the red or even go close I would pull over and turn the car off. So tonight I figured maybe it just ran out of fluid, but boy was I wrong, I opened up the hood and everything was soaked. I saw steam comming up from down low and I thought to my self, sheit, no turbo, I gotta go a damn head gasket job now. But I filled up some fluid and tried to make it to a gas station that was just down the road. So I did after 2 stops, the temp was really moving up quick, so I finally made it after 2 breaks and I let everything cool. I found out, the belts rubbed against the lower radiator hose and thats where it was leaking and steaming from. So I bought a repair kit and patched it up. I started back down the road after being at the gas station for 20 minutes. And after about 45 seconds it was getting hot again, so I pulled into a 24hr auto zone that was 2 lights down. I went it and was going nute, b/c I didnt know what the deal was, maybe the radiator went too, b/c I still saw leaking from under the car. I filled the radiator up with coolant and water and I was good to go. I didnt buy the new hose b/c I think I am going to get a Steel Braided Hose ($60 :( ) instead of $16.99 for rubber. But I made it home after filling her back up and she didnt have a problem. I am just hoping I didnt cause a near future head gasket problem. Do you think the high temps that it has been to the last week is going to cause the head gaskets to go soon?

Does anyone know some thin race fans we could use?
FAL makes thin radiator fans, so does Imperial.

I'm tring to understand, by your description you dont have a turbo yet, and yet your sig implies you do, it also implies you have a 6spd, care to show photos?

If your worried about the head gasket just change it should be easy since you turboed you car and all...........

~TRu Hybrid

#3 ·
I think it was a bad idea in the first place to take the fan out until you had something to replace it with. You should NEVER be driving without a radiator fan of SOME sort. Even if it is cold outside. (you live in FL, so its never very cold)

I recommend you put your radiator fan back on, get some new radiator hoses, make sure the belts are not rubbing, and have your radiator leak tested.

#4 ·
RangerJoe said:
I think it was a bad idea in the first place to take the fan out until you had something to replace it with. You should NEVER be driving without a radiator fan of SOME sort. Even if it is cold outside. (you live in FL, so its never very cold)

I recommend you put your radiator fan back on, get some new radiator hoses, make sure the belts are not rubbing, and have your radiator leak tested.
Exactly!

Taking off your radiator fans, sounds like something typeRkon would do. Kinda like removing your VIS from the intake manifold.

~TRu Hybrid

#8 · (Edited)
Man, did TypeR get banned again?!?!?!?!?

OH, I just read that post, man, that was a dumb thing to do. I knew this guy would/will find a *reason* to not do his *turbo*. :giggle: :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

Anyway, how can someone "capable" (most unlikely assumption) of actually engineering a Turbo setup be put off by something so simple as a blown HG?? OBVIOUSLY TypeR was not so dedicated that a BHG will stop his project.:****:

#12 ·
AlphaTouring said:
I have not had radiator fans on the car fr 4 weeks now, due to he fact I am finding some thinner fans to make more room for the turbo kit
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

#13 ·
Bleed your coolant system or it will continue overheating

#16 ·
WhiteLegend said:
It doesn't matter if he bleed his coolant, without radiator fans, the coolant will continue to stay hot and overheat.
Yeah I know, but if he puts the fans back he'll still have problems if he has air in the system.

#17 ·
All I have to say is if it wasn't blown before it will be now. Dumbass. I attribute my BHG to the short amount of time my motor spent in the *red* when my radiator top cracked. This *genius* rode around without the radiator fans going and then overheating? I bet ya his HG is scorched right now and will fail within a month. Good luck when you start boosting.

#18 ·
LegendC said:
All I have to say is if it wasn't blown before it will be now. Dumbass. I attribute my BHG to the short amount of time my motor spent in the *red* when my radiator top cracked. This *genius* rode around without the radiator fans going and then overheating? I bet ya his HG is scorched right now and will fail within a month. Good luck when you start boosting.
Yeah, what he said:werd:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.