Torque this, torque that... - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995) > Engine & Performance Modifications

Engine & Performance Modifications Discuss Engine and performance modifications from intake to suspension to rotors to etc. :)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-05, 06:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 01 Audi S4 6spd Blue
Car 2: 00GSR Sedan5spdWhite

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Torque this, torque that...

Why do I read sooo much about how we need low end torque when we have so much trouble with traction as it is? I was thinking that while our cars are heavy, they get down the road pretty good stock (relatively speaking). Why aren't we focusing more on top end horsepower? Any more torque down low and we won't have traction. People talk about turbos for more low end torque and what-not, but what about turbos focused more on high rpm applications? Isn't it easier on the engine to have boost higher anyway?

Last edited by KindBuddy; 02-07-05 at 06:44 PM.
KindBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-05, 06:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car 1: 1992

Send a message via AIM to GSteg
traction sucks because we have fwd. No matter what people say, FWD has its limitation and you'll have a hard time getting traction with it. likewise, people are still able to spin their wheels going from one gear to another so its not just the low end. losing traction on the top end is possible. See Toyota Supra for example

to incerase horsepower, you're going to have to increase torque. horsepower is derived from torque so if you're concentrating on top end horsepower, you're essentially trying to increase torque.
Old 02-07-05, 06:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Sorry man, I guess I should have underlined "low end torque" as what I had been reading. Increase HP derived through increase torque since horsepower=derivitive of torque, yeah gotcha.

So yeah, why do I read people writing soooo much about low end?

Old 02-07-05, 06:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
0000$$$$0000####0000

Car 1: Acura

I agree. Everyone wants more torque and HP, but there is a point where enough is enough. My 04 RX330 is tuned for some good low end torque and for my driving style it is too torquey. I usually have to feather the throttle or else you will jerk back into your seat. Now, some people like that feeling and I do too when I go WOT, but not for every day driving. My SC400 has decent torque. Much more than the Legend did. The other day I just installed an Injen intake system. Just like any under hood intake, you gain some upper HP and probably loose a little bit of low end torque. Guess what? I like the way the car drives better now. I'm not one that does any type of burn outs since I think it is a waste of tires so when you get aroudn 250-300 ft lbs of torque that is probably enough unless you are talking about a truck for towing. The people that want low end torque are the poeple that probably like burning out or racing from stop light to stop light barely hitting 60MPH.
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-05, 07:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
i have to agree, i also would like to see someone build one for more top end. Now one thing that we should do is just shift the torque curve, ie headers and different length runners on the intake manfold. thats just my opinion.
tnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 01:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car 1: 3.5L 1991 LS Coupe 5 Spd Blk/Blk
Car 2: 1999 Acura 3.5RL
Car 3: 2004 GMC Sierra Z71

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Mike Diaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnelson
different length runners on the intake manfold.

Any luck finding anybody? *WINK WINK*
Mike Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 02:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

its getting shipped to be modified this weekend.
tnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 02:44 AM   #8 (permalink)

Car 1: 3.5L 1991 LS Coupe 5 Spd Blk/Blk
Car 2: 1999 Acura 3.5RL
Car 3: 2004 GMC Sierra Z71

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Mike Diaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnelson
its getting shipped to be modified this weekend.

Ahhh, you're a godsend.
Mike Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 04:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
B+O
I'van der Rohe
Towers of Hanoi Champion

Car 1: why?

Send a message via AIM to B+O
I get confused silences and more questions than i care to answer when i talk about why I want lowend power.

especailly by Ronnie (Imran).

The reason you probably hear it so much from me is because i have had a major impression left on me from cars that have huge lowend power and carry it through to the top end. i LOVE that feelin of being able to not have the transmission shift and it feels like you're being rocketed forward without delay.

Another thing is when my mom drove my car, she was like "WHY is this so slow?!?!" i told her "stop poosie-footin the throttle" about five minutes later she finally did dig into it further and found out it had gobs of power (mrore than the car she drove at the current time) down low (she didn't take it past 3500rpm....next thing out her mouth was "you dont need this car...it's too fast" this is the nature im looking for.

With most centrifugal superchargers you have that nasty whistle/whine all the time (a no go for me). with roots superchargers (if it was that easy to install in teh first place) they are instant on and often loose power as the spin up higher because of over heating air. Lysholm was the only supercharger i would really consider, but again, that's instant on and i want the car to be able to creep around off boost and still be pretty darn quick.

for one, i've driven VR4s, 1.8t's, and several big engine oldschooler american iron types of vehicles. torque i love and if you're not a dumbass trying to spin your tires all the time you can actually put it down pretty well.

one note...
"RPM=Rapidly Pulverizes Motors"
-i cant remember who i heard that by
Im not an RPM fanatic...im a lowend yank me to 120 in 8 seconds fanatic. it's just more fun when you feel like your car has more in reserve but i DO agree...top end hp is needed in some applications.
B+O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-05, 12:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Blk/BlkGS6

Car 1: '94 Black/Black Legend GS Sedan 6 Speed
Car 2: '92 Silver LS Coupe
Car 3: '94 Cashmere L Sedan

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to legend4life Send a message via AIM to legend4life Send a message via MSN to legend4life Send a message via Yahoo to legend4life
Low end is for street drivability, top end is for racing.
legend4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-05, 01:04 AM   #11 (permalink)

I use both low and top for both street and racing.
Old 02-24-05, 05:27 AM   #12 (permalink)

Car 1: 1995 Acura Legend GS

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Roger
man i dont know what your talking about our low is is terrible i never loose tracting what kinda tires you got, i would trade half my top end power for more low end casue thats what i use the most.

1995 Legend GS (sherwood Green)
My ride
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/608014
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-05, 05:46 AM   #13 (permalink)
Blk/BlkGS6

Car 1: '94 Black/Black Legend GS Sedan 6 Speed
Car 2: '92 Silver LS Coupe
Car 3: '94 Cashmere L Sedan

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to legend4life Send a message via AIM to legend4life Send a message via MSN to legend4life Send a message via Yahoo to legend4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger
man i dont know what your talking about our low is is terrible i never loose tracting what kinda tires you got, i would trade half my top end power for more low end casue thats what i use the most.
Wanna buy a 2002 3.5L motor? 231 lb of torque at 2800 rpm

https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...ad.php?t=58186
legend4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-05, 08:29 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger

Man, this is a performance section, quit pussi-footin' the throttle. Anyway, I said we have trouble with traction and that if we actually had more torque down low like you want, that we would have loose the little traction we are getting. I wouldnt loose traction if I never floored it.
Old 02-24-05, 08:47 AM   #15 (permalink)

Car 1: 1992

Send a message via AIM to GSteg
i floored my car a couple of time before and i do not lose any traction at all. Only time where i had any lost of traction was when i go from 1st gear to 2nd gear, at even that, i had only a small chirp.
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995) > Engine & Performance Modifications