Got the black/black coupe I always wanted! - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Welcome to Acura-Legend.com > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions New to the site? Stop in and tell us about yourself and about your car.

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-16-12, 12:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: '93 L coupe-auto- black/black 230k

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Got the black/black coupe I always wanted!

What's going on Legendphiles? I just picked up the car I've always wanted bout 10 days ago, a '93 Legend L coupe with black paint on black leather. I bought it for just $1,750 with 198k on the clock. And man, is it butter! I had a '90 Legend LS blue/light blue leather years ago, and have known that the sleek G2 coupe was the next car for me for a while now.
Get this though, I actually ended up buying *two* black Legend coupes, the other one having tan leather, which turned out to be in much worse condition than I anticipated. I bought it in L.A. from some shady cat while traveling down the Cali coast to reside in San Diego from San Francisco, so I took a risk and didn't have it checked out by a mechanic beforehand.
Well, the thing turned out to be a gross polluter, blowing like 4.50 on the CO2 readout when I went to get it smogged. Yeah, I didn't know about the California law saying that the seller must provide proof of it passing smog within the past 90 days or he can't sell it/sale is invalid.
I only bought it because I trusted the guy when he told me it had it's engine rebuilt recently, and the transmission rebuilt like 70k ago...even though the overall odometer read 255k. It still seemed to run relatively good, pulled reasonably strong still, no smoke out of the back that I saw. Who knows, maybe it had one of the infamous blown head gaskets that I hear about...cause after idleing for 10 minutes it started to blow serious white smoke outta the tail, and the smog guys told me it was a "real tired" engine and that I should get my money back from the guy who sold it to me.
Well, thankfully because these cars are so cheap (bought the gross polluter tan leather one for $1,900), i immediately found another beautiful black on black one which I ended up buying for $1,750! I could tell this black leather one was much "tighter" and smoother even than the tan one I was in possession of still. Got my mechanic down here in SD (got to know a great mechanic who drives a Legend himself!).
Anyways, I tried to "return" the tan leather car to the seller but he had "already spent the money on another car", which I figured was gonna happen. And I really didn't want to get into some legal spiff about it, so thankfully there was some redeeming value here because after having my mechanic inspect both of them, we found that it would be best to take the new radiator out of the tan one and replace the cracked one the black car had, plus swap the TL wheels which I loved the look of for the tan one had for the shiny chrome stock ones the black car had, swap the AC, power steering, and alternator belts...and then I scrapped the car for $300 to some guy who came by the shop and relieved me of it (damn me I forgot to swap the shift knobs, mines an AT btw. So it was a loss, but really now I'm so glad that the tan one turned into a bust cause I would have never found this beautiful black on black one (the color combo I wanted most)! I put another $1,500 or so into the black one since then getting the timing belt, water pump, brakes, belts, oils, tires, alignment, etc. It constantly trips me out how cheap this car was for the machine it is! I could still spent quite a bit more servicing/repairing it and it'd be a steal!
Only thing is it needs a paint job, as the roof, trunk, and hood have that "oxidizing" effect going on, but it'll happen in time, a nice dark blue or maybe just straight black again, for now I'm loving how mechanically smooth it is, pulls great, leather in great condition, rock solid at 80+...such an awesome car!

Anyways, I can see how these cars are Legendary ones that people really get into. It is such an incredible car for being 20 years old! Already had two people come up to me and geek out one what a sic ride it is!

.......BTW, I've been in San Diego for just two weeks now, and found this awesome honest , fair priced, mechanic who knows Legends inside 'n out, drives one himself, so if anyone is in need, I'll refer ya.
AJfromCaLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-12, 12:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car 1: 94 acura legend ls

iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Welcome to the community, it's good that you ended up with the car of your dreams after being ripped off. It really makes me sick how people take advantage of others.

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Welcome to Acura-Legend.com > New Member Introductions