Might be getting a mechanic's special - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Welcome to Acura-Legend.com > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions New to the site? Stop in and tell us about yourself and about your car.

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-11, 11:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Might be getting a mechanic's special

Like the title says, I might be getting a 95 Legend via the old "I want it out of my driveway, you can have it for cheap" deal. it has 172xxx miles on it, but I'm told they'll hit 250xxx easily. My brother has a 95 Accord with the same drivetrain(v6/a4 FWD), and it has 22xxxx and is still going strong.

Part of the terms of that deal are that it has a few issues, listed below in order of how how they effect drivability:

Needs Rings. it blows a blue smoke while running.

Power Drivers seat is broken... All the way up and all the way leaned forward. I can not fit in the car with the seat as-is, because my head needs to be about where the roof is.

Front end damage. Broken headlight, dented hood and crumpled fender and torn bumper cover. The car was in a fender bender, but driving is not effected and the light still works.

Sunroof is cracked, but not leaking. Apparently someone got angry that someone had a nicer car and tried to do something about it by dropping a brick on the roof.

Typical honda wheel-well rust. its a honda from the 90's. the wheel-wells are rusted.

All in all, its a nice car with some problems rather than a project car that is $10K from the road. I'm a pretty accomplished mechanic, so I should be able to take care of the rings and some of the body damage. I'm just curious as to how hard these cars are to work on and whether its worth it to do the rings and body work in order to get a good car.
96firephoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-11, 01:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car 1: Kat - '95 KA8 T2 LS
Car 2: Jade - '95 KA7 T2 GS
Car 3: '87 KA3 LS - Donated

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
I believe you are going to be getting way over your head. Try to find a better condition Legend with less issues so you wont have to spent so much out of pocket to get it back on the road. The mechanic's special might be a better option as a donor car for your better condition Legend that you will be buying down the road. Just my 2 Penny...
Old 06-22-11, 08:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car 1: 04 TSX 6MT SSM
Car 2: 08 TSX AT PWP

iTrader Score: 9 reviews
When you approached this car, did you not hear the loud sucking sound coming from it? That's the sound of it sucking huge amounts of money and time from you, which will never end. In my opinion, this one is a much better candidate as a parts car.
CT-Legend is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-11, 08:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car 1: 1994 Legend L Cloth Type II Auto
Car 2: 1994 LS Coupe 6speed

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT-Legend View Post
When you approached this car, did you not hear the loud sucking sound coming from it? That's the sound of it sucking huge amounts of money and time from you, which will never end. In my opinion, this one is a much better candidate as a parts car.
My thoughts exactly.

If I were you, look at southern based Legends that don't have the body cancer and other issues associated with the snow/salt belt. Go on AutoTrader and Craigslist and try to find something that is at least drivable.

Old 06-22-11, 10:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

yea, I Am kinda coming to the same conclusions. The rings and all the gaskets to replace (throw in the timing belt while I'm in there) is already $600 plus all the time and effort for a car that has a KBB of $2300 without any body damage. Throw in a junkyard bumper and headlight, and thats around $700...
96firephoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-11, 04:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car 1: '94 Legend L Sedan Black on Black (NH503P-TypeA)
Car 2: '93 KA7 (resting)

Idk it really doesnt seem that bad, especially if the price is right The wheelwell rust should be solved by a little sandpaper, paint etc etc, it should be relatively simple. Same with the Sunroof... theres a DIY about the "Sunroof Tilt Mod" or sumthin, and it involves removing the glass i believe...seemed pretty straightforward. A trip to the U-Pull-Em should HOPEFULLY solve your headlight/front-end needs...
And have you checked the fuses for the power-seat? If its not a fuse idk what to tell ya...but im thinkin a Search of the forum should come up with sumthin

172k really isnt too high a mileage, especially if its priced as a Mech's Special!! My current '94 L Sedan has ~223,000mi still going strong! My '93 Sedan basemodel(NO Sunroof lol) had ~360,000mi when timing belt went, but it also needed struts, control arm, had badly cracked windshield(360k worth o'rocks!), etc, etc so i instead bought the '94 with 167k. I still have my '93, "takin a break" in my backyard. I'll plan to eventually rebuild with aftermarket suspension etc, until then it donates parts from time to time!!
Just my opinion...but hopefully Welcome to the Club!!!
UrbanLegend313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-11, 12:09 AM   #7 (permalink)

Car 1: 91 legend coupe

i have a 91 coupe almost no rust{has 2 smal spots just surface not a hole} nice paint 114,000 original miles runs and drives like new all power everything works exept ac wich probably needs charged make an offer and i might get off it
chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Welcome to Acura-Legend.com > New Member Introductions