My 91 LS Sedan is dying - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Welcome to Acura-Legend.com > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions New to the site? Stop in and tell us about yourself and about your car.

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-08, 07:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 91 Legend LS

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Angry My 91 LS Sedan is dying

Keep in mind the fact that I have replaced the radiator, hoses, thermostat and all sensors envolved with engine temperature prior to having these problems. My car started over heating one day then the check engine light came on. I added a little less than a gallon of distilled water to the coolant when I saw that it was low. This seemed to solve the problem because I drove for about an hour and a half with no overheating. Later the same day I start the car and it starts overheating after about 5-10 minutes and smoking (steam I beleive). I drove about a mile or two then stopped and refilled the coolant because the car was overheating severely. I was able to make it home but I left a trail of coolant on the ground which seemed to be coming from the exaust along with a lot of white smoke. I could find no sign of coolant leaking from under the car at all, only from the tail pipes. The next morning my car would not start at all.
1InBmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-08, 08:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 Twilight LS sedan
Car 2: 1992 Rosewood JDM'd
Car 3: 1986 Porsche 944

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Legendary91
Fixer up! Invest the money into a HG and keep her rolling.
Legendary91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 08:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car 1: 91 Legend LS

I've got over 200k mi. Would it be better to replace the HG or replace the entire motor. Does anybody know if you can put a type II motor in an LS and still get all the sensors and indicator lights to work.
1InBmore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-08, 08:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1InBmore View Post
Later the same day I start the car and it after about 5-10 minutes and smoking (steam I beleive). I drove about a mile or two then stopped and refilled the coolant because the car was overheating severely. I was able to make it home but I left a trail of coolant on the ground which seemed to be coming from the exaust along with a lot of white smoke. I could find no sign of coolant leaking from under the car at all, only from the tail pipes.
Congratulations buddy, you just seized the motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1InBmore View Post
The next morning my car would not start at all.
Raul Dke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 08:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Man, sorry about that. I think it's a good fixer upper though
LegendLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 10:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car 1: 1995 Canadian Blk/Blk LS Coupe
Car 2: 1990 Honda Accord LX
Car 3: 1995 White KA7- SOLD

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Yeah bro sorry to hear that. I think with the Type II swap all you need to swap out is the engine, tranny, and ECU. There are several threads on this and a lot people have done it successfully. I think that's the best route to take.

1995 Canadian Black on Black LS Coupe
3.5 swap|SR5Guy Stage 3 Chip|12K HIDs|Cathode Trunk Mod|Custom Projector Fogs|OBX Shift Knob|SRI|NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
ACK N UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 10:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
I was going to say "Just change to synthetic and everything will be fine," but I don't want to be mean. Your motor is seized, search junkyards or JDM engine recyclers for a used motor. If you like the car and its in good shape aside from the motor, then find a used motor for $600-$800 and find a buddy or shop that will give you a good installation price.
Dethred is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Welcome to Acura-Legend.com > New Member Introductions