Climate Control Tempeture Sensor Fan Noise Fix - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > DIYs

DIYs These threads contain answers to common topics. "Do it yourself" modifications are also archived here.

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-06-04, 04:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Climate Control Tempeture Sensor Fan Noise Fix

Okay this fix is quite easy, I could only take pictures of the climate control unit itself because I had a spare, but maybe you could find a tutorial on how to take out the radio which is the first part of this tutorial.

Okay first you need to pry off your center console, to do so you:

1) Unscrew the two screws in the felt area under the ash tray
2) Pull parking brake
3) Remove trim around the gear selector
4) Start by carefully prying off the wood section in front of the arm rest
5) As soon as you have the bottom half lifted pull the panel towards you and it should pop off. CAREFUL OF CRACKING THE UNIT!!
6) Remove the one harness that connects the cigarette lighter and ash try light. Now would be a good time to replace the ring light that lights up the cigarette lighter or the ash try light. Also would be a good time to polish this piece, use rubbing compound and Maguire’s Scratch X. Not to many people are aware that these panels have a plastic coating over the wood, so the only way to get a nice shine is to polish it like the head liights.
7) Carefully place this panel somewhere you won't crack it or scratch it. Its real wood, (LS Models).

Okay Second, Radio removal

1) Make sure you have your radio code if it's a stock unit
2) look under the radio, you'll see two Philips screws that are #10 bolts (I think) make sure you get a Philips head that’s big enough and long enough to give you enough leverage to remove the bolts, or else you should bust out your socket set and remove the bolts.
3) Carefully pull the radio out and disconnect the harness and Antenna wire

Third, is the actual center vent removal you made it this far, great! Not that much more to go... almost there.....

1) Now that the radio is out of the way, you should look up and see two regular Phillips screws. These hold the center vent in. Unscrew those
2) CAREFULLY pry out the center vent. It's old and plastic, prone to cracking, be warned. There are actually a number of ways I discovered on how to pry out the vent, you can start by pushing it out from the bottom are inside of the console, and getting a putty knife or something flat and pry out the sides as well as the top.

Fourth, now we have the center vent out, we have to remove the climate control unit from the vent.

1) Unscrew the two top screws on the climate control unit that screws it into the center vent
2) Remove the plastic pins that clips onto the metal bracket
3) Now you have the unit apart from the vent.

Last thing to do, remove the fan from this box, now that you have the climate control unit out, you might as well think about replacing the bulbs for the controls, they will go out at some point. If you want to do this, pick up a set of them at the dealer and install them, make sure you clean the contacts with alcohol and use a small standard screw driver to remove and install the bulbs. Also this is a good time to pick up some epoxy to help re-enforce the center vents to help percent those nasty common cracks we all get. Just apply this to the trim around the vents and it should harden and then cross your fingers. Moving on:

1) If you look at the unit from the top, on the left you'll see this metal cylinder thing that looks like this:

Remove the left end screws on this bracket

2) Now unplug the fan unit from the Climate control and pull the fan out from the tubing

This is how it should look after the fan removal

3) Now remove the two remaining screws from the top of the fan unit. Be careful not to strip the screws, make sure your Phillips head is big enough. Also be careful a few nuts are going to fall out, those were holding those screws in.

4) After removing the remaining screws you can go ahead and take off the metal cover of the fan and separate the unit in four

a) Fan cover
b) Fan blade
c) Fan Base
d) Fan mount

Now the fun stuff. Get your can of air and silicone spray handy.

1) Blow all dust away from this unit, you might also want to blow the dust out from the vent area and tubing on the control unit

2) Spray silicone on the mental area of the fan base, Fan Cover and the tips of the fan itself.

Now you’re done! Wrap everything up and install it. And the noise should be gone. It's been a year since I did mine and no buzzing coming from my vents. Sorry this was really mediocre, but hope it helps --=Keith

Last edited by KeithQNguyen; 02-06-04 at 04:23 AM.
KeithQNguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-04, 04:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car 1: Gynomobile

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Great! That's exactly what's making the noise is from that small vent. The noise is not annoying, but disturbs me to know something is 'not' right.
While that's out.. I'm going to go ahead and replace the bulbs with leds/resistors. I bought a bunch of leds for the Prelude, but never got a chance to solder them in the buttons.

Thanks

1994 GS (F:18 X 8.0 - R:18 X 9.0)
Volk Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-04, 04:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Can't you just get LEDS that plug into 12v? --=Keith

Old 02-06-04, 04:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by KeithQNguyen
Can't you just get LEDS that plug into 12v? --=Keith
I wish it was that easy.... most leds take only 3.5 volts. If it goes over that, then usually it burns out. So an inline resistor is needed OR have about 4 LEDS in series (not parallel) to divide up the voltages. But then 12V/4 leds = 3V each, so you won't get as bright as it's max. So resistors have to be soldered in each. =(

Old 02-06-04, 06:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yikes! I guess... good luck!!
Old 01-16-06, 04:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Awesome - I've been hearing that noise for several years, on and off. My mechanic told me it was the main blower, and very hard to get to; but that didn't make sense since I could hear the noise even when the main fan was off. So this little itty-bitty fan is there, I presume, to draw cabin air into the unit so it can 'measure' it, I'm guessing.

Any tips for the silicone spray? Can I just pick up a can at Radio Shack or similar?

Regarding the bulbs - a few of mine are out ('off' and 'recirculate', at least). what if I just want to replace the 'standard' ones? Can I not buy replacements at an auto parts store? If I go with the LED approach instead, are they still 'plug and play' replacements? I'd rather keep it simple in this department! Which LEDs would most closely mimic the current 'factory' look?

Thanks again for an awesome guide!
steerpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-06, 05:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

Car 1: 91L KA8 auto Frost White
Car 2: 93LS KA8 6spd Gold

does this fan make a noise that sounds like a faint whistle? Does this fan only exist in the LS model? Cuz there is a faint whistle (not air from outside, but from inside the dash) that i can hear if i try hard enough.
LA Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-06, 11:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Legend
does this fan make a noise that sounds like a faint whistle? Does this fan only exist in the LS model? Cuz there is a faint whistle (not air from outside, but from inside the dash) that i can hear if i try hard enough.
Most annoying whistles come from the blower motor that is located behind the glove (box) compartment. Mine made a sound like a cricket chirping. The removal of the blower motor to fix this noise is a little tougher job. I believe there is a DIY on this also.

Black 91 LS Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-06, 04:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

I believe the most telling distinction is ... if the noise is only there when you turn the fan on, it's the blower. If it's there even when the fan is off, then it's the little fan in the climate control device, the subject of this thread.

I would describe the sound as a 'buzz' or a 'fast click' - maybe the sound of one cricket (many crickets together introduce different harmonics )

Does anyone know if this fan is on all the time? The noise, for me, is definitely intermittent. It used to be noticeable only after running the A/C for a long time, but now, it's noticeable when I first turn on ignition, cold, in the middle of winter! And it does go away at some point, not related to any event I can figure!

I'm going to rip this out this weekend, assuming I can get hold of the bulbs (bulbs or LEDs - I don't care; the first bulbs lasted 100,000 miles so if replacements last just as long, I'll be happy!). I really don't want to change the appearance of the unit at night, it's nice and innocuous as it is (non-distracting) and I want it to remain that way!

By the way - can I drive without the unit in place, assuming I run into any issues (bulb location may be the trick!)? Will it default to 'last setting' or will it default to some other config? Since it's cold right now, I'd prefer not to get blasted by cold air!
Old 03-20-06, 01:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

I finally got round to ripping the Climate Control unit out - it was remarkably easy (with one exception, noted below). I replaced the bulbs, and dismantled / reassembled the fan - and now (so far), no more irritating noise!

The part I had a problem with was in the removal of the unit from the center vent, as covered in this section of the instructions:

Quote:
1) Unscrew the two top screws on the climate control unit that screws it into the center vent
2) Remove the plastic pins that clips onto the metal bracket
3) Now you have the unit apart from the vent.
I could not figure a way to remove the plastic pins (step 2 above) without destroying them. I ended up removing the other end of the metal bracket, which is secured by one phillips head screw, which I had to remove using an 's' shaped screwdriver - with great difficulty! The plastic pins in question seem to be a 'one-shot' design, with no hope of removal ... how on earth did you do this?!

Also - does anyone know what role this fan plays? It draws air from the cabin, to what/where? there is a small sensor in the tube itself, but that seems overkill, so is it drawing air into the rather large area to which the fan is bolted? For what purpose?

If the only purpose is to sample the cabin temp, then I really could live without it - I've pretty much given up relying on the 'auto' feature, prefering instead to simply control everything manually (I don't like the combination of full-speed fans, and recirculate, for example). Anyway, if it's only there for 'auto', I could kill it (next time it gets noisy!) but, if there is some need for airflow in this area, I'll try to keep it alive.

Last edited by steerpike; 03-20-06 at 01:13 AM.
Old 03-21-06, 11:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

Great find, this should be moved to the DIY section.
Marty182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-06, 02:25 PM   #12 (permalink)

OK - bad news; even after disassembling everything, cleaning, and re-assembling, the 'buzz' is still there, intermittently. Not as bad, but still there.

SO - can anyone tell me what this fan does? I'm thinking I can just disconnect it altogether, since I don't use the 'auto' feature. Does it support the auto feature only, or is it also there to cool the components in the climate control unit?
Old 04-08-06, 05:31 PM   #13 (permalink)

After you cleaned it, did you add oil to it?
If you did add oil to it, and it still buzzes, then it's probably worn out.

The fan is only there to circulate cabin air into the sensor part for the auto climate control. If you unplug it, the sensor will think it's hotter (summer) in the cabin than it really is, or it might think it's colder (winter) than it really is...

So it will just throw the auto climate control off. But if you don't use it, then I don't think it matters if you disconnect it.

Old 04-10-06, 09:20 PM   #14 (permalink)

I sprayed with Silicone, as suggested in the guide, but no oil as such. I was surprised at how 'volatile' the silicone was - it seemed to leave no trace. I assumed it was leaving a microscopic trace. What I could do is spray either the Silicone or WD40 through the vent with the ignition off, and wait an hour or so ... what do you think?
Old 04-11-06, 01:51 PM   #15 (permalink)

Hmm the silicone grease that I use worked very well and the noise went away permanently. It shouldn't dry up like WD-40. and do not use wd-40 as it does not last --=Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > DIYs