Differential Pinion Seal Replacement DIY - Done! DL it here! - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > DIYs

DIYs These threads contain answers to common topics. "Do it yourself" modifications are also archived here.

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-04, 05:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 1992 LS Sedan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Differential Pinion Seal Replacement DIY - Done! DL it here!

Alright, it is finally done.

20 pages, 44 steps, 34 pictures, and 16 pages scanned from the helms service manual.

Below is the link to the differential removal DIY for those needing to replace their differential pinion seal - or anything else that requires removal of the differential.

I hope it is comprehensive enough.

Let me know if something is wrong, hard to understand, or just what you think of it in general.

Download it here (right click - save as).

Thanks,

James
James92LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-04, 03:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car 1: I35 Sedan
Car 2: 2004 Lincoln LS

Send a message via AIM to morbo
I've always been paranoid about my differential-how would I know that I need to use this writeup????

http://ffejbomb.blogspot.com
CODEALARM CAR ALARM W/REMOTE START 4 SALE! PM OR EMAIL ME FOR INFO!!!
Keepin it real fo the SA
The Internet wasn't designed for ridicule. It was invented so researchers could share common data sets at University. It was I tell you.........it was. --Homer Simpson
morbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-04, 04:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

Are you leaking differential fluid?

I knew my differential pinion seal was busted because I had drops of diff. fluid on my garage floor in the morning. The differential fluid in our car is gear oil. It is yellow, somewhat thick, and smells pretty bad.

-James

Old 06-11-04, 05:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Type I King

Car 1: 92 LS Sedan
Car 2: 91 LS Coupe 5 spd
Car 3: 95 LS 6 spd coupe

iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Hotstartup Send a message via MSN to Hotstartup Send a message via Yahoo to Hotstartup
DAYU M!!!!that was worth the wait, great write up man.
Hotstartup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-04, 05:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car 1: I35 Sedan
Car 2: 2004 Lincoln LS

Send a message via AIM to morbo
Nope, no fluid leaks at all-except for water when the A/C is on...

I hope I never need it, but good to know it's here if I do. DEFINATELY NEEDS TO GO IN THE DIY SECTION!!!

http://ffejbomb.blogspot.com
CODEALARM CAR ALARM W/REMOTE START 4 SALE! PM OR EMAIL ME FOR INFO!!!
Keepin it real fo the SA
The Internet wasn't designed for ridicule. It was invented so researchers could share common data sets at University. It was I tell you.........it was. --Homer Simpson
morbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-04, 10:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car 1: 1994 Granada Black Acura Legend GS Sedan
Car 2: 2007 Subaru Forester

Send a message via MSN to shahavchik
Good job, James. Let's hope I will never need your DIY
shahavchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-04, 01:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahavchik
Good job, James. Let's hope I will never need your DIY
Awesome job on the write up!
smth_hckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-04, 01:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Car 1: 1995 Legend LS Coupe

James - thanks for the extensive write-up. Some questions:

1) What was the most difficult repair procedure you did before this one & how did this compare to it in difficulty?

2) Did any of the steps require a second person?

3) You said that disconnecting the upper coolant hose was very difficult. Would it be possible to cut this hose instead & replace it (would this make it any easier)?

4) Are there any other items you would suggest replacing with the differential out?

5) If you were to do it again, what would you do differently?

Thanks again.
oldacura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-04, 03:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hey Oldacura,

Sorry for not replying sooner, I actually have a sticky note on my keyboard to remind me to respond to your questions in the other thread

So here are the answers:

1) I'd have to say the most difficult repair I did before this was probably replacing my brake pads - not very complex However, I did have help from someone who knew what they were doing. They hadn't done any work on Legends specifically, but work on cars in general. I probably would have been able to do it myself, but it would have taken longer.

2) Yes - when I was putting the differential shaft back in I needed someone to turn one of the axles to make the gears in the differential turn so the teeth on the shaft would line up inside the differential. (See step 29.b.i)

3) Yes, you could just cut this hose if you wanted. It would make taking it out easier. Once the differential is out you should be able to unclip it from the engine side pretty easily and just replace it. It still might give you some trouble when you put the differential back in as you'll have to attach the hose to the engine side first.

4) Hmmm, not that I can think of off the top of my head. I listed pretty much every part that the service manual tells you to replace when removing, so I think you should be good.

5) Probably would have drained the coolant instead of trying to plug the holes - that made a huge mess.

Let me know if you have any questions. Also, if you want to have my phone number around for when you do the job incase you have any questions, I'd be happy to give it to you.

-James

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldacura
James - thanks for the extensive write-up. Some questions:

1) What was the most difficult repair procedure you did before this one & how did this compare to it in difficulty?

2) Did any of the steps require a second person?

3) You said that disconnecting the upper coolant hose was very difficult. Would it be possible to cut this hose instead & replace it (would this make it any easier)?

4) Are there any other items you would suggest replacing with the differential out?

5) If you were to do it again, what would you do differently?

Thanks again.
Old 06-18-04, 01:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Car 1: 1995 Legend LS Coupe

James - thanks for the reply.

I'm not especially mechanically inclined with my car. To date, I have replaced the radiator & hoses, the brake master cylinder & the brake pads. Neither of these was very difficult. I've found that if you're just willing to tackle a job, their not too bad.

Several people have talked about how difficult this job is and especially how difficult it was to disconnect the upper coolant hose.

I might have a hard time finding someone to help me with the job but I have 2 cars so if it takes a while to finish, so what.

My diff was leaking but I put in Lucas Oil Stabilizer and the leak stopped (temporarily). I'll file away your DYI so I can tackle this in the future.

- John
oldacura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-04, 02:44 PM   #11 (permalink)

Well, those jobs are more than I had previously done, so I think you'll be fine.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

-James

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldacura
James - thanks for the reply.

I'm not especially mechanically inclined with my car. To date, I have replaced the radiator & hoses, the brake master cylinder & the brake pads. Neither of these was very difficult. I've found that if you're just willing to tackle a job, their not too bad.

Several people have talked about how difficult this job is and especially how difficult it was to disconnect the upper coolant hose.

I might have a hard time finding someone to help me with the job but I have 2 cars so if it takes a while to finish, so what.

My diff was leaking but I put in Lucas Oil Stabilizer and the leak stopped (temporarily). I'll file away your DYI so I can tackle this in the future.

- John
Old 01-10-05, 05:35 PM   #12 (permalink)

Just wanted to say nice write up and give it a bump to the top. I'm in the process of replacing my oil pan and the pics and part numbers are nice to have.
If I may make a suggestion or two: I would mention in your write-up that the transmission should be in park or neutral. Another suggestion would be to include current prices for each part number listed. (would also be useful to list the weight of the diff so people reading your tech article could judge if a second person is really needed or not)
cgrant26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-05, 05:47 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrant26
Just wanted to say nice write up and give it a bump to the top. I'm in the process of replacing my oil pan and the pics and part numbers are nice to have.
If I may make a suggestion or two: I would mention in your write-up that the transmission should be in park or neutral. Another suggestion would be to include current prices for each part number listed. (would also be useful to list the weight of the diff so people reading your tech article could judge if a second person is really needed or not)
Glad it was of some help...

I don't think the transmission HAS to be in park or neutral... Even if the car was in gear you should be able to pull the pinion shaft out, although it might be a little more difficult. Weights might help, but really the only one that is heavy is the differential itself... We used a jack to give it support as we unbolted things. It's about 50 lbs, which isn't too bad except for when you are trying to hold it up for 2-3 minutes under the car while your buddy attempts to put the bolts in

-James
Old 01-24-05, 12:57 PM   #14 (permalink)

Car 1: 91 Sedan L / 94 LS Sedan/ 94 Milano Red Coupe

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DJPolak
James92LS is there ant chance that you could sell me your extension shaft puller or renting it to me for my differentil replacment
94 Green Sedan LS sold
94 Milano Red Coupe LS sold

04 Lexus GS 300 perl white
DJPolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-05, 04:57 PM   #15 (permalink)

I didn't buy one. I used one of the 3 bolts that holds on the intermediate shaft and one of the huge washers under the hood that goes on the top of the suspension.

Have you read the instructions yet?

-James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > DIYs