DRL in JDM fog lights DIY - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > DIYs

DIYs These threads contain answers to common topics. "Do it yourself" modifications are also archived here.

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-08, 03:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: '94 Blk/Blk Legend GS / Sold to Nightshift
Car 2: '07 Toyo Sienna Ltd
Car 3: '08 Lexus GS 460

iTrader Score: 12 reviews
DRL in JDM fog lights DIY

For some of you interested to have the fog lights in JDM 1 piece headlight to work as DRL. Now, I'm very glad to provide some of the basic steps by steps instruction how to make it happened. I knew that some of the other members on here have already done it, but I've tried my best to put this mod together and hope that you all can enjoy.

First, I would like to thank a member Quaraxkad for letting me borrow your pic for demonstration purpose only.

1. I truely suggest to disconnect your positive battery terminal for your own safety.

2. If you still have the OEM Bose head unit, please be sure to obtain the security code prior disconnecting the battery terminals.

Parts and some hand tools need to have to complete this task:

1. One new 12VDC normally closed (N.C) contacts relay.
2. Approximately new 10 feet 20 gauge red wire.
3. Approximately new 8 feet 20 gauge black wire.
4. Electrical tape or heat shrink.
5. New splash guard fuse holder with amperage rating up to 30A (recommended using 7.5A fuse).
6. One new 7.5A fuse.
7. New (4) 16-14 gauge-cal. female .250" quick disconnect w/protective sleeves crimp lugs.
8. New (1) 12-15 gauge-cal ring terminals.
9. Twist-on wire connectors.
10.Approximately new or used 10 feet flame retardant wire conduit uses for covering up the new wires.
11.Black tie wraps.
12.Soldering iron if available.
13.Power drill if available.
14.DVM if available.
15.Heat gun if available.
16.Hand tools: wire cutter, crimper and stripper, etc ...

Listed parts would be able to purchase at any local autopart stores.

There were a couple of ways to run just one single red wire from the ignition switch through the engine bay and all the way up to the headlights:

1. Drill a small hole through the fire wall on the driver side. Make sure to add a piece of rubber grommet or electrical tape around that hole edge to prevent from electrical short. And also make sure to use the flame retardant wire conduit to protect the red wire from the engine heat.

2. Or feed it through a black large clump of wires that leads to the inside fuse box. Take the gasket/grommet off, unwrap the electrical tape, and stick your red wire through there. Require to take off the front driver side fender liner.

You can see it in this picture. NOT the grommet the arrow is pointing at, use the one that's above it.

There were a couple places inside the engine bay that I chose to mount the relay:

1. Near the cruise control unit right next to the black fuse box. (Hella DE fogs relay).

2. Or the upper mounting headlights frame on the driver side. (DRL fogs relay - I picked that white relay at the local junk yard from 91 Corolla - FTW).

In the past experiences, for a clean installation: I'd like to remove the front bumper which made it more convenience to run wires to both fog lights and fed them inside the flame retardant wire conduit then tie wrap it along the lower condenser chassis frame.

1. Strip off approximately 1/4" black wire insulation and twist or solder to each of the fog lights wire then crimp the other ends together to the ring terminal for grounding it to the chassis frame or a negative battery terminal.
2. Strip off approximately 1/4" red wire insulation and twist or solder to each of the fog lights wire then crimp the other end together to the quick disconnect w/protective sleeves crimp lugs then insert it into # 30 relay terminal.
3. Assuming that the supplied +12VDC red wire has been fed through the fire wall, now strip off approximately 1/4" of its insulation and crimp it into the quick disconnect w/protective sleeves lug then insert it into # 87a relay terminal.
4. Strip off approximately .5" black and red wire insulations and tap or solder them to the driver side head light power (HLP) wires and crimp each of the other ends to the quick disconnect w/protective sleeves lugs and insert both of these lugs into the relay solenoid coil # 85 & # 86 terminals.

Sorry for a paint brush drawing pic, I'm not really good at drawing but I hope that it's still readable and understandable.

5. The next thing need to do is to locate the ignition switch (ig.sw.) wiring harness and slice or solder the remaining red wire end which has been fed through the fire wall into 1 of the hot wire on the ignition switch wiring harness.
6. It would be much easier to work around the ignition switch (ig.sw.) wiring harness by just removing the lower driver side dash panel.

7. The solid yellow wire in the ignition switch wiring harness is the only one that need to be tapped, sliced or soldered the remaining red wire end to it. Wait, don't forget to add the fuse holder by twisting or soldering its wires in between these 2 connections.
8. Now grounds both black wires ring terminal lug into the chassis frame (must locate a very good ground spot) or nut it into the negative battery terminal if possible.
9. Finally, reconnect the positive battery terminal and insert a 7.5A fuse into the fuse holder then turn the ignition key on to level II position to test the fog lights functionality. Both of them will be on for sure then switch the parking lights on, both fog lights will still be on untill switch the head lights on then both fog lights will be shut off immediately due to 12VDC feed from the head lights power to energize the solenoid coil (#85 & #86) to open up the normally closed contacts (#30 & #87a) relay terminals.

This is the end of steps by steps instruction how to make the fog lights in JDM 1 piece head lights to work as DRL (Daylight running light).

Thank you,

PIAA H3 Yellow Ion behinds the amber difuser = double amber light outputs.

Disclaimer:

I will not hold any responsibilities for any shortages or damages it may cause if you decided to leave the battery terminal connected live while performing this mod.

In addition: Since the USDM head lights don't have the fog lights option just like the JDM ones, instead they have the high beams in place of the JDM fogs so this is not a highly recommended modification to the USDM head lights version to have the DRL due to the high beam lense's configuration because:

1. Will definitely blind the oncoming traffics with high beams on all the times during the day unless switching the head lights on to kill the high beams off.
2. Will permanently loose the high beams functionality when the head lights are on.

Comments and questions are welcome.

• Gentex mirror installed (02-04-07). Hella Micro DE fog lights (03-10-07). BMW X5 smoke side markers (05-10-07). JDM 1 piece head lights w / DRL. Addco front and rear sway bars

Last edited by ptan1968; 04-26-08 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Gramma correction.
ptan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-08, 05:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
JZ_
B anned (SIKE!!!)

Car 1: 03 G35 Coupe
Car 2: 98 Accord EX
Car 3: 95 Legend SE

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Nice Car!!!!

G35 Coupe all day!!!
JZ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-08, 10:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Coupe View Post
Nice Car!!!!
Thanks, man.

Old 03-30-08, 01:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car 1: 94 ls 6spd
Car 2: 89 saab spg
Car 3: 01 navigator

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
sweet pics!!

you hava hella micro de's too... what kinda switches you got to operate them? can you turn them on/off seperately?
n8s94ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-08, 02:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fut RIP

Car 1: 91 Alpha/Alpha Touring KA7
Car 2: 92 Alpha/ AlphaT KA8
Car 3: 91L,93LS,94LS KA7's

iTrader Score: 39 reviews
nice diy may have to do this one it seems to be the best one on this yet!

Yes im back! Alpha/AlphaTouring!https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...ang%2Fjdm-kang
Originally Posted by Blackend
Good to meet you too Willie. I tell ya, when we were walking the Auto-X course and you guys started pulling in, I had no idea who it was until I saw the green machine and we're all like "ooohhhh, that's Willie and the Acuraholicks!"

Glad you guys made it out, and nice meeting all of you.
L3GDKANG/JDMKANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-08, 08:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Great White North

Car 1: 95 Black on Black LS 6-speed

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Heh i dont envy you americans
this was much easier to do on my car... just wire the JDM fogs to your high-beams and voila

Installed:
JDM Headlights with HID Retrofit,
Weapon-R Secret Weapon, Remus Exhaust,
Metal Substrate High Flow Cat,
MLS Copy Bar, Addco Rear Sway Bar,
Eibach Springs on Koni Reds,
Blackend Engine Damper, 17" RSX A-spec Rims
tw1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-08, 12:06 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw1st View Post
Heh i dont envy you americans
this was much easier to do on my car... just wire the JDM fogs to your high-beams and voila
Oh, if I'm not mistaken reading some where on here, DRL are provides for G2 in Canada, but not sure if that is an option or standard for all models though.
Old 03-31-08, 12:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8s94ls View Post
you hava hella micro de's too... what kinda switches you got to operate them? can you turn them on/off seperately?
Yeah, the Hella is controlled by OEM fog switch independently, but at least must have the parking lights turning on to assist the power sources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3GDKANG/JDMKANG View Post
nice diy may have to do this one it seems to be the best one on this yet!
Thanks for your comments, you should try it out quick and I'm sure you gonna like them.
Old 03-31-08, 06:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw1st View Post
Heh tw1st, I haven't thought about doing that, but you're right, you can have the JDM fogs on or off whenever you like.
Old 03-31-08, 07:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
The Great White North

Car 1: 95 Black on Black LS 6-speed

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Yes, except they cant be on at full power without the headlights being on also

And DRLs are mandatory in canada. All cars must have them. Not sure what year that started but it was definitely before 1991

Installed:
JDM Headlights with HID Retrofit,
Weapon-R Secret Weapon, Remus Exhaust,
Metal Substrate High Flow Cat,
MLS Copy Bar, Addco Rear Sway Bar,
Eibach Springs on Koni Reds,
Blackend Engine Damper, 17" RSX A-spec Rims
tw1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-08, 05:33 AM   #11 (permalink)
TEXAS PSYCO

Car 1: 1991 LS coupe VGM(sold)
Car 2: 1994 LS coupe DMM

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to stella
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptan1968 View Post
Heh tw1st, I haven't thought about doing that, but you're right, you can have the JDM fogs on or off whenever you like.
I have a USDM legend and i want to do this mod but also want to have the JDM fogs on or off whenever i like. is there a way to wire his mod up this way.

With this mod, do you fogs come on with the headlight at all? can you turn them on with the highbeam switch?

The way i would like to do this is to have the fogs com on with the highbeam switch weather the headlight or parking lights are on or off.

Last edited by stella; 04-30-08 at 05:42 AM.
stella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-08, 12:42 PM   #12 (permalink)

1. Just wire up a seperate switch for the JDM fogs through the ignition wire like in this mod but don't include a relay. That way you can turn them on or off at any time you like after crank up the car.

2. With this mod, no the JDM fogs won't come on after the headlights are on, (keep in mind that the fogs are still on while the parking lights are on as well).

Without this mod, yes you can use the high beam power to turn the fogs on or off except the headlights must be on first.

3. Like I've mentioned above, headlights must be on the first thing before you can use high beam power constantly to light up the JDM fog lights. (OEM designed that way originally unless you know the other way around, please let me know).

Hope that I answered all of your questions. Thanks.

Last edited by ptan1968; 04-30-08 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-30-08, 04:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
TEXAS PSYCO

So if i wire this up like your diy, and use a toggle switch in the cabin insted if the relay, and the toggle is in the on position, will they automaticly come on like driving lights when i turn on the car or will i have to turn them on and off manualy every time i turn off/on the car?
Old 04-30-08, 05:53 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella91legend View Post
So if i wire this up like your diy, and use a toggle switch in the cabin insted if the relay, and the toggle is in the on position, will they automaticly come on like driving lights when i turn on the car or will i have to turn them on and off manualy every time i turn off/on the car?
Correct, beside you can manually turn the fogs on or off while driving, also you don't have to worry about running out the battery b/c when getting out the vehicle as normally switching off the ignition and take out the key... to cut off the power sources to the fogs.
Old 04-30-08, 05:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
TEXAS PSYCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptan1968 View Post
Correct, beside you can manually turn the fogs on or off while driving, also you don't have to worry about running out the battery b/c when get off the vehicle as normally switching off the ignition and take out the key... to cut off the power sources to the fogs.
COOL. Ok, i have my jdm fogs hooked up to the highbeam function. what if i left that connection and t spliced the red wire from there through the firewall to the toggle. Could i still be able to turn them on.off as i like and still use the highbeam function for passing inspection?

So with the switch off, the highbeams would work as usual.
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > DIYs