Erratic Speedometer? D4 Light Flashing? Check Engine Light? HOW TO FIX! DIY - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > DIYs

DIYs These threads contain answers to common topics. "Do it yourself" modifications are also archived here.

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-19-06, 06:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Erratic Speedometer? D4 Light Flashing? Check Engine Light? HOW TO FIX! DIY

Is you speedometer randomly jumpy? How about works fine for a while then goes crazy? What about the D4 Light is it on flashing sometimes? What about the check engine light sometimes?
Search NO MORE. THIS IS THE FIX!

What the problem is the vss (vehicle speed sensor) the electronic chip inside has went haywire and needs to be replaced. Making it a new speed sensor theroeticly.

What you need.
1991 - 1995 ACURA LEGEND SPEED SENSOR REPAIR KIT NEW OE
Acura Part Number 06560-PY3-000

Dealer Cost : 125$ avg cost
Ebay Cost: 86$ shipped

Where to buy?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1991-...spagenameZWDVW

or
http://stores.ebay.com/FLATIRONS-ACU...QQftidZ2QQtZkm

The instructions are included inside the kit. All products are new in honda boxes packed very well. Super fast shipping to your door 2-4 days tops.

Tips: Remove the one bolt holding the speed sensor on the differental or tranny. Have a towel handy to put inside the hole so you dont loose alot of fluid. Make sure to unplug the speed sensor and mark the placement of it and the gear placement with a permanet marker, SO it goes back in precisely the way it came out.
Please do not get the electronics wet, use the new seals provided, and make sure they gasket seals right, its somewhat tricky.

This neds to be a sticky now. I've seen too many people asking about this.
Thanks.
Hope this helps all the newbs, and the not so newbs.
Remember Search is a very good friend.
mordezmoncou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-06, 01:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
.The.Laos.Guy.
Super Soccer Champion

Car 1: 1993 Acura Legend

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to noudles Send a message via Yahoo to noudles
pretty good write up.. you should supply some pictures to help detail the DIY and it will be a great DIY fix

Legends of North Carolina

1993 Acura Legend L [SOLD]
2002 Lexus IS 300 [current driver]
noudles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-06, 09:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
mods: yes PLEASE!!!!

Car 1: 1995 SE white/silver
Car 2: Flexdex Pro 36
Car 3: Nikon D300, D70

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bboarder711
oh you do suck my vss just died this and i haev the part at home ill be doing this this weekend and my plan was to make a DIY if you want to combine efforts ill still take pics and do a write up

BTW ACURA OF AGUSTA will cost you $94 shipped +- shipping charges depending on how far you live

http://www.legendaryphotos.net <-- CLICK FOR NALM PICS

Final Edited NALM Pis are UP!!!
Legendary Special:
$10 for up to 25 Digital files
$25 for 1 8 x 10 Print
Email me at [email protected] for details and a contact sheet.

A-L.com T-shirts + Hoodies for sale! <-- Click
bboarder711 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-06, 12:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

I will update this sometime this weekend with pictures, and a step by step guide, + list of tools.
Old 10-21-06, 12:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

just an FYI i had the exact symptoms. me and a mechanic friend instead jumped the ecu and found i needed a new coolant sensor. We replaced the sensor and now my D4 doesnt flash my rpms are fine and my engine light is off. It wasnt the VSS like people had said. It was my egine coolant temp sensor. I bought the VSS and now im not using it but im not going to get rid of in just incase.
eddie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-06, 02:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie101
just an FYI i had the exact symptoms. me and a mechanic friend instead jumped the ecu and found i needed a new coolant sensor. We replaced the sensor and now my D4 doesnt flash my rpms are fine and my engine light is off. It wasnt the VSS like people had said. It was my egine coolant temp sensor. I bought the VSS and now im not using it but im not going to get rid of in just incase.

Rpms arnt the vss the speedo is .... then that you make sence anyway

FOR ANYBODY DOING THIS DO NOT STRIP THE SENSOR SCREWS you will forever be up the creek and your car will be sitting on jacks till you get new screws and a way to get the old out

BTW im currently taking pics as i go and ill prob make a DIY thread in the DIY section anyway unless you want my some pics

Legendary Special:
$25 for 1 8 x 10 Print

Old 10-22-06, 09:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

email me the pictures and I will put them in here and give you credits for the pictures.
[email protected]
Old 10-22-06, 10:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordezmoncou
email me the pictures and I will put them in here and give you credits for the pictures.
[email protected]
ill host them instead and send you the links BTW you might want to put this ins the DIY section ...ill prob startonce and deff link this thread

EDIT there is already a DIY thread about this .....

Legendary Special:
$25 for 1 8 x 10 Print

Old 10-23-06, 12:31 AM   #9 (permalink)

This thread is here because the poor little newbies keep posting stuff about this and they dont search or look in the diy section first, so this cuts down on 30 threads a week started about this problem.
So It needs to be where the noobs post them so they will see the sticky right in there face and refraim from posting a new topic about there speed sensor issues.
Its very very simple to change, so I dont think a DIY really is almost neccesary, instructions come in the box.
Old 10-23-06, 01:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
what!

Car 1: 95 LS Coupe 6 spd
Car 2: 02 TT225 Quattro 6sp
Car 3: 94 L Cpe 6spd - sold

iTrader Score: 20 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to kotetu Send a message via AIM to kotetu Send a message via MSN to kotetu Send a message via Yahoo to kotetu
I used the DIY on the LegendTuner website.
kotetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-06, 05:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Stagedive Dewy Champion

Well I wish I would have seen this a while ago. I was having the same exact problem. At least I know now.
MrShay-rett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-06, 07:55 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrShay-rett
Well I wish I would have seen this a while ago. I was having the same exact problem. At least I know now.
hey man welcom and yes this happened to be a common legend problem just becarefull when doing this but once its done you will be set

Legendary Special:
$25 for 1 8 x 10 Print

Old 11-01-06, 01:28 PM   #13 (permalink)

Oh my goodness.... you have TOTALLY helped push me in the right direction. My boyfriend gave me his 95 type II and this is what has been going on. I tried to get a diagnosic done, but the two places I went to said that they can not find the hook up for the machine. But my speedometer is not acting crazy.. it's my RPM gadge once in a while and my fuel and temp. gadges are not working.... Do you think that would be the same problem?
MD Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-06, 08:52 PM   #14 (permalink)

prob so, it might be a combo if a bad gauge cluster (instrument cluster)
and this speed sensor, id go fix the speed sensor first.
if it doesent fix everything, then you know you need an instrument cluster too.
Old 11-14-06, 04:39 PM   #15 (permalink)

I ordered the VSS repair kit from ebay but I wanted to outline my symptoms and see if some other irregularities have been noticed by other members

I have all the regular symptoms: erractic speedo, sometimes check engine light, often D4 light is flashing. But sometimes (rarely) my tach will act a little erratic. I've had it where I've turned on my car and the tach wouldn't be working but the speedo would. I tried turning the car off and on a couple time and eventually the tach starting working....but then the speedo wasn't.

Another thing I've noticed with the speedo is that if I have the cruise control switch on (the dash button, not the steering wheel button), and the speedo stops working, usually turning off the cruise control light will make the speedo work again. If that doesn't work, pressing the button to roll the drivers side window up (only the drivers side) will allow the speedo to work. As soon as I stop pressing the button though the speedo returns to it's not-working state. And once when that didn't work, I pressed the button to cycle the air in the cabin instead of drawing in fresh air and that allowed to speedo to work normally. I've tested these again and again and they are very consistent in making the speedo start working.

It also seems that if you warm up the car really slowly, i.e. driving it around in 2nd and keeping it under 2k for 15 minutes, the speedo doesn't go erratic and the D4 light doesn't flash. Everytime I've had problems with the speedo and D4 light, I've found that when I park the car and stop it for 15 minutes or more (enough time to eat at taco bell) and return, as long as the car is still warm, I won't have any problems with the D4 or speedo until the car gets a chance to cool completely. Then my problems start up again.

I just wanted to see if all of this is indeed caused by a malfunctioning VSS.

Now to fix my overheating problem. The cooling fans keep blowing the fuse whenever they turn on. But only if the car is on.
fraidknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > DIYs