Erratic Speedometer? D4 Light Flashing? Check Engine Light? HOW TO FIX! DIY - Page 3 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > DIYs

DIYs These threads contain answers to common topics. "Do it yourself" modifications are also archived here.

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-07, 12:42 PM   #31 (permalink)
The Legend Metal Head

Car 1: 1989 Acura Legend V6L Coupe (gone :'( )
Car 2: 2004 Cavalier LS

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Aright, this might also help me, but I have a few things that are different.
My speedometer jumps a lil bit, and my check engine light use to come on frequently, I've heard how to fix both of these seperately, but could it be the VSS? I'm going to look into it in a few on my car, try to fix them seperately. If that doesn't work I guess I'll try the VSS.
8n9ne Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-08, 05:28 AM   #32 (permalink)

Car 1: 1995 Acura Legend

it should be code #17 in the acura repairbook? code 17=VSS
Acura 1 carman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-08, 02:00 PM   #33 (permalink)
Legend

Car 1: Cobalt Blue Pearl

Send a message via ICQ to u2vex Send a message via AIM to u2vex
ok, I have the famous D4 blinking light. I jump the service connected (black/white) like told on here but I get a solid check engine light. what to do?

P.s. no jumpy or erractic speedo or rpms, just drove 400miles only stopping to put gas last night but nothing out of ordinary.
u2vex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-08, 02:54 PM   #34 (permalink)

Car 1: 91 Acura Legend Four Door
Car 2: 96 Honda Civic B20

so heres the run down

what the dash is telling me:

the check engine light comes one after a few seconds of driving (havent been able to track down a place that can scan it for less than $100 because its OBD-1)

the transmission light (D4) will flash once driving no matter what gear it is in

the odometer will act sparatic but most the time will sit at zero

Completely different:
annnnnd the fuel gauge is out. but the fuel light will come on once its low. suspecting its the fuel return and not the float.

not to mention SRS is on...

how she runs:

she will die once i come to a stop while shes still cold

smokes when i pull away from a stop

sometimes after i take a left turn it will take a little while to slip into gear

and once i get into higher rpms she will kick (slipping)

dont know if these are cause by the ECU going into limp mode or if these are signs of transmission failure

so what im trying to say is if anyone know when i can get my CEL (check engine light) and CTL (check transmission light) scanned somewhere besides the dealer so i figure out what the hell is going on!

besides guessing and replacing parts such as the speed sensor
Moglyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-08, 05:09 AM   #35 (permalink)
Leaving the lights on

Car 1: 1988 Acura Legend L Automatic

I have an 88 Legend, and it's got a slightly and intermittently erratic Speedometer, the engine sometimes revs a little funky (maybe I'm just not experienced with it, I just got it a week ago). So far, the S4 light has not blinked, and since an O2 sensor was replaced, the Check Engine light has never come on. I was looking at the Vehicle history a while ago, and I remember seeing something, an oil change within the last 20,000 miles, where the Mechanic's recommendations said a code 8 had been tripped in the computer or something, something about the Differential. I don't know if it was ever fixed or not. Are these symptoms of this easy-fix problem?
Goatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-08, 03:35 PM   #36 (permalink)

Car 1: 2008 Nissan Altima 3.5SE
Car 2: 95 Milano LS Coupe

Sorry for the thread revival but i just bought a 95 Lengend Coupe type II with all options for a DD it has 145,xxx miles on it and im having some odd issuses, It shifts hard and idles rough when its cold and seems to be running really really rich all the time and the CEL and TCS light is on and my Tach doesnt work speedo does however any advice?
Thanks Skyler
slostjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-08, 03:42 PM   #37 (permalink)
Leaving the lights on

O2 sensors?
Old 11-21-08, 03:50 PM   #38 (permalink)

Car 1: 2008 Nissan Altima 3.5SE
Car 2: 95 Milano LS Coupe

Sorry for the thread revival but i just bought a 95 Lengend Coupe type II with all options for a DD it has 145,xxx miles on it and im having some odd issuses, It shifts hard and idles rough when its cold and seems to be running really really rich all the time and the CEL and TCS light is on and my Tach doesnt work speedo does however any advice?
Thanks Skyler
slostjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-08, 04:04 PM   #39 (permalink)
Leaving the lights on

... once again. O2 Sensor issue?
Old 11-21-08, 06:30 PM   #40 (permalink)
Gangstar* User

Car 1: 93 Legend Sedan *R.I.P

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Dance4Zak Send a message via Yahoo to Dance4Zak
Haha This is funny, because I just had shop replace mine, and its not working again so its going in monday to see whats up, i can get some pictures if you want them.
Dance4Zak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-09, 09:29 PM   #41 (permalink)

Car 1: 91 acura legend coupe

I have a 91 legend coupe. My symptoms were the same as most here with the added rpm fluctuations. What I found was two separate problems. The speedo problem was fixed once I replaced the vss. I replaced the whole unit not just the guts.

I figured this would of solved the flashing d4 light yet it still flashed even though the speedo was now working. My symptoms that were still left were the rpm's fluctuating. She idled at around 1500 rpm's cold and dropped to 1000 once warmed up yet bounced around from there. My cel showed a bad Coolant temp sensor and the d4 still flashed.

I checked the cts as told in the repair manuel I purchased and it was bad. I spent 26 bucks at auto zone for a new one. I replaced it and started my legend and instantly the rpm's settled in at about 650. Problem seems solved. But why would the d4 light be resolved from the cts. So I took it for a drive. Usually as she warmed up The d4 would start flashing but it didn't. So I assume that it had something to do with it. It was a beautiful thing. No more d4 flashing or cel. Now I just need to get that abs light figured out and I can get started on looks.
IndyJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 10:24 AM   #42 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 Acura Legend LS

HELP!!!

I have a 91 Legend and this morning the speedometer started acting crazy!! My check engine light was on prior to this. I thought it had something to do with me getting the timing belt and water pump replaced recently. That's when I noticed it started coming on. It doesn't stay on all the time though. No other lights on the dash are coming on.

The RPM needle seems to working just fine.

I also noticed a few weeks ago the power steering feels hard/stiff. I purcashed some fluid and added it but it was basically full. Even after adding some I still get the hard steering usually when I first get in the car.

Oh plus I have problems with overheating(no smoke just the temp rises to hot). Well its alot better once I got the timing belt and water pump changed but if I sit idle too long say at a drive thru line the temp guage will rise to hot. Once I press the gas it usually goes back down. The thermostat was changed with the belt and water pump. I can't think of the name of the part but he replaced the one that regulates the fan. It wasn't coming on like it was supposed to.

I also noticed that the temp needle rises to the middle rather quickly. Like within 2 minutes of me being in the car. It usually stays in the middle unless I sit for too long as mentioned above.

What is wrong with this car? It's one thing after another!!
Old 06-28-09, 05:07 PM   #43 (permalink)

Car 1: 1994 Legend

My 93 Legend got a D4 flashing and notice that it is code 9. I have replaced the VSS and still have the same problem. It will not flash while start the engine and will going to flash after the vehicle moved 200 meter . Can anyone tell me what to do? Speed meter normal .

Last edited by 4HondaOwner; 02-17-12 at 06:30 AM.
nightevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-12, 11:41 PM   #44 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 Acura Legend LS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightevil View Post
My 93 Legend got a D4 flashing and notice that it is code 9. I have replacedm he VSS and still have the same problem. It will not flash while start the engine and will going to flash after the vehicle moved 200 meter . Can anyone tell me what to do? Speed meter normal .
i got the same problem
it occured when mechanic tried to solve my fans' problem. My fans were not turning on. He did not have enough time so we connected fans to relay then they began turning on whenever i turn the car on. Then I had CEL and D4 light on. Today replaced radiator (cuz it had some cracks on it) not CEL was gone but d4 still blinking. Speedometer is just perfect.
any ideas?
Chico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-13, 03:48 PM   #45 (permalink)

Car 1: 92 Acura Legend

VSS/Power steering sensor assembly

OK so i replaced my vss but problem still was there now i replaced the whole assembly with a used one and i still get the blinking D4 light.... did i do something what else could it be.
iblas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > DIYs