Head Gasket D.I.Y. - Page 10 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > DIYs

DIYs These threads contain answers to common topics. "Do it yourself" modifications are also archived here.

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-22-06, 01:48 AM   #136 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by P2K
Hey thanks. At what point should I watch out for the knock sensors...did you break them taking the intake off?
they are right under ur intake manifold... so becarful taking that off... and when ur unplugging them be careful.. the plastic is britle on those things... so jus take it easy when ur taking that manifold off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-06, 01:13 PM   #137 (permalink)
T The pimp

Car 1: 92 Legend LS 5spd R.I.P
Car 2: 93 Legend L AT
Car 3: 92Legend L AT R.I.P

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Yup Legend engine is da most Paint in da A$$ to fix. when come to Head gasket and valve cover. my bro blow once in his 93 and he had go back and redo da valve cover gasket cuz it leaking oil and soak one of the spark plugs. so my best advice is drive steady try to avoid race wit full accereleration (that how my bro car get blow head gasket). and i race some time too. but when i go up 5500rmp i thinkin about that and then drop da gas. oh nice direction lol that is very helpful. thank man.
Old 07-28-06, 08:41 PM   #138 (permalink)

Car 1: 1993 Gold Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonrider55
they are right under ur intake manifold... so becarful taking that off... and when ur unplugging them be careful.. the plastic is britle on those things... so jus take it easy when ur taking that manifold off
Amen to that, brother. I broke one of mine two weeks ago without even touching it with a wrench. The top cracked off when I was trying to remove the electical connector. Be careful or bye-bye $125.

Old 08-05-06, 05:32 AM   #139 (permalink)

So today is my first day on this website, I have a 91 Acura Legend and have dont alot of work to (all work done by myself)
-Motor R&R
-Radiator
-T-belt, water pump, cam/crank seals, final drive seal,
-Master Cylinder
-Brakes
-And i service it religiously, trans service every other oil change, tires rotated every 3k, not a drop of oil in my driveway. I hope everyone knows where i'm coming from, not alot of legends out there, but the ones that are out there, we have to keep them clean.

So Check this, about a 2 months ago, my radiator started leaking, no problem with that, lifetime warranty through 1800radiator, replaced it, changed the t-stat and I was set. A week later, it blows a bypass hose, so i replace it, then my upper hose blew in the exact spot that ICEMANS blew. So i replaced the hose and the t-stat cuz i thought it was a defective one. Then the radiator goes out again, warrantied at no charge. Car runs good for about a month, then the temp gauge starts to fluctuate, so i replace the coolant temp sensor for the gauge and the computer as well, all parts that i have put in my car have been OE (WorldPac is the way to go!!!!) Well i thought that fixed the problem but the gauge did the same.
I did a block test and turns out it has a blown head, what sucks about this is i put a used motor in my car about 3 years ago/26,000 miles ago.
I already ordered the Cylinder Head Gasket kit, but i have a back up plan if the heads are bad, I found a motor from Japan and its gonna cost me $595 (anyone wants their number let me know, they have a few) this motor has about 50k miles.
I want to know what else you guys recommend i should change if i end up doing the heads, help a fellow Legend owner out, and that includes ICEMAN! thanks in advance. I've done some work to my car too, if you guys have a question about anything, feel free to ask me!!!

Freshmex22
Old 09-27-06, 01:42 AM   #140 (permalink)

Car 1: 1993 6spd Black Coupe

Send a message via AIM to legend320 Send a message via MSN to legend320 Send a message via Yahoo to legend320
hey everyone, i'm redoing my heads and i'm having some problem getting them off. it almost feels as if there are couple nuts and bolts that i have to take off in order to get them off. any ideas people? ie. on the passenger side, it seems like i need to take off the whole power steering unit in order for it to come off,and on the drivers side, it seems like i need to take the whole alternator off but from all the manuals and research i've done, there's no mention of that. any comments welcomed. thanks
Old 09-27-06, 11:50 AM   #141 (permalink)

Car 1: 1990 Black Coupe, 1992 White Coupe

Send a message via ICQ to DatStyle Send a message via MSN to DatStyle
Hey,
There could be a number of things still attached considering you haven't mentioned what you have and haven't removed; it's such a general picture. Hopefully you've already removed the exhaust manifolds because that would definitely not allow the heads to come off; if you've removed all the head bolts and surrounding accessories they should come off.
I don't know if this will help much but you can take a look at pictures from my attempt.
http://aziz.fotopic.net/c884945.html
Good Luck
Aziz
Old 09-28-06, 12:09 AM   #142 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to legend320 Send a message via MSN to legend320 Send a message via Yahoo to legend320
Aziz, i've taken everything off. every accessory connected. i definitely took off the exhaust manifold as well. it just feels as if its still connected onto the powersteering and alternator. i'll just keep poking at it and i'm sure eventually it'll come off. thanks
Old 09-28-06, 12:45 PM   #143 (permalink)

Head Gasket

That's odd I can't think of any reason why it should still be on there;
I'll try and take a look at my own pictures and see if was anything I can remember that gave me that kind of trobule.
I'm sure you've probably already tried hard at it but just in case; they are pretty hard to get off you almost have to use a pry bar to get them to budge and then pull them off. Let me know if there's anything else I can help with.
Aziz
Old 09-28-06, 01:15 PM   #144 (permalink)

Car 1: 3.5L 1991 LS Coupe 5 Spd Blk/Blk
Car 2: 1999 Acura 3.5RL
Car 3: 2004 GMC Sierra Z71

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Mike Diaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by legend320
Aziz, i've taken everything off. every accessory connected. i definitely took off the exhaust manifold as well. it just feels as if its still connected onto the powersteering and alternator. i'll just keep poking at it and i'm sure eventually it'll come off. thanks

There are 3 bolts that hold the power steering bracket to the head. You must remove those. Same thing with the alternator side.

Remember everyone, there are 2 dowel pins in each head, and sometimes they like to stick. Don't break it off in the head.
Old 09-28-06, 07:09 PM   #145 (permalink)

Dowel Pins

That's it, that's what I couldn't remember; there are the two dowel pins on each side onto which the head slides on. So if you're trying to move the head around it won't move but you have to pull it straight up (this is where careful play with the prybar helped me out but like Mike mentioned be careful not to break them).
Old 09-29-06, 08:54 PM   #146 (permalink)

thanks mike and aziz. i'll definitely look into that more carefully. i only have about an hour a day to work on it these days so hopefully this will do it and i can move on. i'll keep you guys posted.
Old 10-04-06, 10:51 PM   #147 (permalink)

Car 1: 1994-95 gs sedans

Success!

I just wanted to hear from all those who have been able to find success doing this job after reading this thread. It's been over a year and I am just curious. Thanks for everyone who has posted here as I had no idea this would be so popular. I'm glad to see us helping us.. That's what's up!
Old 10-06-06, 02:04 AM   #148 (permalink)

whoa, and the iceman lives. Your DIY is great. it would of been great to have you help me. i haven't had time to work on my car all week. hopefully this weekend i will have some time. Iceman, if you don't mind, can you tell me which machine shop you used. thanks in advance.
Old 10-22-06, 09:08 PM   #149 (permalink)
RAP

Car 1: '95 Legend 3 ea. 240SX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayroc010999
Hey I brought this gasket set it will be here june 1st
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ACURA...spagenameZWDVW
Haven't been around for awhile, but in fact I followed Icemans story at the outset and after reading the entire thread there has been much contributed since. Very good input everyone.

Well after three years of trouble free operation my '95 L joined the BHG club at 128000 miles. Never got hot, run out of water, or any signs of any problems. Three days ago there IT IS, outta the blue.

Shopping around on the net for headgasket sets I find the Ebay deals and the dealer deals. There is quite a difference in price and I mean lotsa difference. $ 84 bucks versus 450-500 or so for a headgasket set.

I am not above saving a few bucks and in this case there is quite a savings. So wats da deal?

Is the ebay deal the exact same set of gaskets as the dealer? Are there the same number of items in both sets?

I would really appreciate some feedback. Thanks

RAP
Old 11-16-06, 02:31 AM   #150 (permalink)

Pictures

Are the pictures gone for this thread?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > DIYs