Head Gasket D.I.Y. - Page 12 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > DIYs

DIYs These threads contain answers to common topics. "Do it yourself" modifications are also archived here.

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-12-07, 03:31 PM   #166 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Blue Smoke

whats goin on IceMan, I have a 95 LS coupe with blue smoke coming out after idling a couple minutes, can you fix that for me and how much??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-07, 09:20 PM   #167 (permalink)

I've just gotten a blown headgasket myself and now I'm thinking about doing it myself like you guys but I have a couple questions. What are we sending to the heads to the machineshop for, ie the name of the servicing? Should we replace all the other hoses, which and how many are there? Should I use a higher grade kit like fel-pro or one of the cheap knockoffs on ebay?
Old 02-19-07, 11:15 AM   #168 (permalink)

Car 1: 3.5L 1991 LS Coupe 5 Spd Blk/Blk
Car 2: 1999 Acura 3.5RL
Car 3: 2004 GMC Sierra Z71

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Mike Diaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOutlaw View Post
I've just gotten a blown headgasket myself and now I'm thinking about doing it myself like you guys but I have a couple questions. What are we sending to the heads to the machineshop for, ie the name of the servicing? Should we replace all the other hoses, which and how many are there? Should I use a higher grade kit like fel-pro or one of the cheap knockoffs on ebay?

I've used the Fel-Pro kit before without any problems. I recommend OEM at least for the head gaskets, and use the Fel-Pro kit for everything else if you plan on keeping the car for a long time.

The machining service you're going to be requesting is a Pressure check on both heads (checks for cracks & burnt valves), then mill both heads flat (ensures a flat surface to the block.

Make sure you have a die grinder and some 3M bristle discs to clean the block deck surface of any residue from the old gasket.

Old 02-22-07, 08:34 PM   #169 (permalink)
94 6MT KA7_8

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Thumbs up

GREAT DIY..

Big help for my SHG problem.

Need discount software? Check out www.CheapAntiVirus.com!
Old 03-07-07, 03:18 PM   #170 (permalink)

Car 1: 1990 Acura Legend 2 Dr L
Car 2: 1999 Mustang V6

cylinder head DIY

I wonder if it wouldn't be faster to remove the engine from the car first?

This is a second generation Legend, but on my 90 Legend it took about one day (8 hours) to remove the engine, and a bit more time to reinstall it, and with it out of the car removing the heads could easily be done in half a day. It would be a lot easier with adequate space to work.
Old 03-07-07, 04:27 PM   #171 (permalink)
94 6MT KA7_8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen View Post
I wonder if it wouldn't be faster to remove the engine from the car first?

This is a second generation Legend, but on my 90 Legend it took about one day (8 hours) to remove the engine, and a bit more time to reinstall it, and with it out of the car removing the heads could easily be done in half a day. It would be a lot easier with adequate space to work.
Yes, but youre disconnecting more than you need to.. I found the intake manifold and heads simple to remove, it took me two half days.. There were so many little brackets to unbolt from the back.. NO FREAKIN WAY AM I REBOLTING THESE BRACKETS BACK ON!!! I'm just going to zip tie them out of the way to make it easier..so next time i can just get right to unbolting the intake manifold and disconnecting the necessary hoses/bolts..

Need discount software? Check out www.CheapAntiVirus.com!
Old 03-30-07, 08:21 PM   #172 (permalink)

so i stared my HG job last night. my hands are dirty as hell and cut to shit. we're only about 7 hours in and i'm about to loosen the head bolts and then we're halfway there. and i managed to not break anything so far including those pesky knock sensors WOOT!

i think i'm gonna have a few "spare parts" too many fucking brackets
Old 03-31-07, 07:26 PM   #173 (permalink)
ON DAT WAVE

Car 1: 92 Acura Legend LuxuryPerformanceSedan
Car 2: 97 BMW 528I
Car 3: 99 Montero Sport

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
the G2 legends do come with a lot of brackets, i just got my gaskets changed for $600 and man am i happy i finally got it done, no more up and down temp gauge or gurggline in the heater core, the only thing is i also had to change both knock sensor because they were broken, but got them $100 each at autozone compared to 200/260 each at other places so i was
Old 04-05-07, 04:36 AM   #174 (permalink)

Ok I've finally got all the things together to start this job, but it got me thinking. Since I don't have a garage I can do this in leaving me with no choice but to do it in the driveway between me and my neighbors house. So when I disconnect the fuel filter leaving the fuel lines exposed, wouldn't this be kind of dangerous with smokers all around me?
Old 04-05-07, 12:07 PM   #175 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOutlaw View Post
Ok I've finally got all the things together to start this job, but it got me thinking. Since I don't have a garage I can do this in leaving me with no choice but to do it in the driveway between me and my neighbors house. So when I disconnect the fuel filter leaving the fuel lines exposed, wouldn't this be kind of dangerous with smokers all around me?

Not a lot of gas will come out. When you disconnect it, just make sure nobody is lighting a cigarette. The cigarette itself won't ignite fuel, but the lighter will.
Old 05-01-07, 09:00 PM   #176 (permalink)

Car 1: 1995 Acura Legend Coupe LS, Type II
Car 2: 1988 Cavi Z24 Drop

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Question. I am using the 12mm impact socket to take off the exhaust to the head but when I stick up to get on the nut it seems too big. Just spins right around it. Could some one have used a different size?

Rochelle

----------------------------------------------------

Old 05-01-07, 09:27 PM   #177 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRegrets View Post
Question. I am using the 12mm impact socket to take off the exhaust to the head but when I stick up to get on the nut it seems too big. Just spins right around it. Could some one have used a different size?

Rochelle

Sometimes those bolts get rusty and lose some of their edges. I would try an 11mm and beat it on there with a hammer. Sometimes, I've had to take an oxygen/acetylene torch to those bolts to help break them loose.

Worst case scenario, use good vice grips and get as much on it as you can.
Old 05-01-07, 10:12 PM   #178 (permalink)

I found that PBblasting the bolts, puting a crowbar or something similar and tapping them, will yeild pretty good results.
Old 05-15-07, 09:15 PM   #179 (permalink)
makes his putts....

Car 1: 91LS Coupe w/ typeII swap
Car 2: 1966 Mustang
Car 3: 06 GTI 2.0 turbo

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
When getting at the TB /water pump, Iceman says to remove the front engine mounts, and jack the engine up to clear the frame. Is this necessary? I notice in the service manual it doesn't mention anything about this step.
Old 05-16-07, 09:53 AM   #180 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanTheDude View Post
When getting at the TB /water pump, Iceman says to remove the front engine mounts, and jack the engine up to clear the frame. Is this necessary? I notice in the service manual it doesn't mention anything about this step.

That is NOT necessary at all. I'm not sure why he put that in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > DIYs