Head Gasket D.I.Y. - Page 13 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > DIYs

DIYs These threads contain answers to common topics. "Do it yourself" modifications are also archived here.

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-18-07, 03:34 PM   #181 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Well guys, I just dropped my heads off at the shop....

The guy was cool and told me it would be $80 for the milling and he told me that the compression was AT HALF what it should be, oh man I can't wait for all the extra power! but that is gonna cost $180... Should have them back on tues, had hopefully running by friday....

Cant wait....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-07, 12:46 AM   #182 (permalink)

Car 1: 1999 Acura TL w/ Nav
Car 2: 2005 Odyssey EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Diaz View Post
That is NOT necessary at all. I'm not sure why he put that in there.
I believe the type II engines have a bracket in front of the main pulley that you have to remove. With it removed, you still have to pull the two front engine mounts and then jack the engine up to get the pulley out....otherwise the subframe is in the way. I had to do this when I did the TB/WP on my GS but didn't need to do it when I did the head gaskets on the 91 sedan.

Hope this helps.
1992 L Sedan - Phantom Gray Pearl (Black/Black) (178K, RIP - 18 year old ran red light)
Old 05-25-07, 09:25 AM   #183 (permalink)

Car 1: 3.5L 1991 LS Coupe 5 Spd Blk/Blk
Car 2: 1999 Acura 3.5RL
Car 3: 2004 GMC Sierra Z71

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Mike Diaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamLegend View Post
I believe the type II engines have a bracket in front of the main pulley that you have to remove. With it removed, you still have to pull the two front engine mounts and then jack the engine up to get the pulley out....otherwise the subframe is in the way. I had to do this when I did the TB/WP on my GS but didn't need to do it when I did the head gaskets on the 91 sedan.

Hope this helps.

You do not need to remove the mounts. All you need to remove is the center support, and it's held in by 4 14mm bolts, and one 14mm from the top. There's 3 14mm bolts at the bottom that will release the rubber mount you're talking about. Once again, you do not need to remove the two side engine mounts, nor do you need to jack up the engine. Just remove the center suppport, then the rubber mount underneath it.

Old 06-20-07, 02:22 PM   #184 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 LS Sedan

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Just a FYI, but I just ordered the harmonic balancer hold-down tool from http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/ and it was well over $10 cheaper than ordering from thetoolwarehouse.com (they tacked on a $19 shipping charge that took the total order to almost $70).
Old 06-27-07, 02:23 AM   #185 (permalink)

Car 1: 1995 Acura Legend Coupe LS, Type II
Car 2: 1988 Cavi Z24 Drop

Talking Still Not Finished

After eons of not looking at the ride after I picked up the heads...I finally decided to start putting it back together.
Passenger head went on easy like. We put the gasket and dowels on the block and slid the head on. But the d*mn driver side wasn't so cooperative. Tried the same method as the passenger but the gasket kept getting caught/bent near exhaust manifold. So tried with the gasket/dowel in the head and attempted to slide it on...NOPE. While tryin to get the bolts in the exhaust pipe never could line up the dowels, had to pry it back off.
Long story short ...ruined the gasket. WHAT IS THE EASIEST WAY TO GET THE DRIVERS SIDE ON? (after I get my new gasket )

Rochelle

----------------------------------------------------

Old 08-03-07, 03:22 PM   #186 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
16hrs & an Opps

I started replacing my HG's two weeks ago. Here's a few tips:
Expect to need other parts for assembly!
- I had to get new studs for the exhaust headers because a few broke.
- Also need new o-rings for the injectors because they dry rotted with over 200k miles!
- Had to replace the timing tensioner because I tried to adjust it incorrectly and bent it!
- The worst though was when I found part of the head gasket on the bench when I was "Done"

So I'm starting over. It shouldn't take 16 hours this time now that I "know what I'm doing." but it's still a btch!

The manual says to oil the head bolts before you torque them. Don't take this for granted - there is a difference between wet torque & dry... I didn't lube them so naturally they were under torqued and on my test drive I had some terrible leaking, in addition to running a little hot!

What's the consensus - Should you replace the bolts on a head gasket job? Where can you get them from?

Good luck - don't suck. Unlike me, pay attention to detail.
Old 08-03-07, 04:57 PM   #187 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy_21 View Post
I started replacing my HG's two weeks ago. Here's a few tips:
Expect to need other parts for assembly!
- I had to get new studs for the exhaust headers because a few broke.
- Also need new o-rings for the injectors because they dry rotted with over 200k miles!
- Had to replace the timing tensioner because I tried to adjust it incorrectly and bent it!
- The worst though was when I found part of the head gasket on the bench when I was "Done"

So I'm starting over. It shouldn't take 16 hours this time now that I "know what I'm doing." but it's still a btch!

The manual says to oil the head bolts before you torque them. Don't take this for granted - there is a difference between wet torque & dry... I didn't lube them so naturally they were under torqued and on my test drive I had some terrible leaking, in addition to running a little hot!

What's the consensus - Should you replace the bolts on a head gasket job? Where can you get them from?

What part of the gasket was on the bench?

Old 08-03-07, 05:33 PM   #188 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
One of these two little suckers...

Son of A!
Old 08-03-07, 10:31 PM   #189 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 LS Sedan

Quote:

For parts, I've been shopping here as of late and have been very satisfied: http://www.sonsacuraparts.com/sons/jsp/home.jsp

Most say that they don't need to be replaced if you are over-torquing them. However on my BHG repair-job in progress, I am replacing them just to be safe... it's cheap insurance.

Good luck.
Old 08-03-07, 11:30 PM   #190 (permalink)

Quote:
One of these two little suckers...

Son of A!
Same part popped out on my driver side HG so I ordered another one. I was not a happy camper. What do them little parts do/prevent?

Rochelle

Old 09-20-07, 02:43 AM   #191 (permalink)
makes his putts....

Car 1: 91LS Coupe w/ typeII swap
Car 2: 1966 Mustang
Car 3: 06 GTI 2.0 turbo

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
quick question to anyone thats done this- Is it necessary to use sealent on the water pump? It looks pretty sloppy and it seems like just the WP gasket being torqued down correctly to a clean block should seal up. Did you guys use extra sealant? anyone have any leaks?
Old 09-20-07, 02:47 AM   #192 (permalink)

Car 1: 1994 Acura Legend L Model

My BHG project is almost finished. On the first start, both valve cover gaskets leaked like crazy. Come to find out, the eristic gaskets are crap and don't fit properly..strike one for them. Wound up using the original used OEM's...they were in better shape than the aftermarkets and they don't leak. I will replace them later. Filled the radiator with water and and topped off the oil..second start up...no problems no leaks.....bled the cooling system and it worked just like the jetdoc said.....temp gauge rock solid. The only thing left to do now is to do another oil change, flush radiator and add coolant. Also I need power steering fluid....I don't know where it went, but after I started the car, I noticed it was low. I also have a hand full of brackets that need to be put back on....I've tried to find the locations but I think I am going to need some pics of them installed. I also have a few sockets resting on the chassis somewhere that need to be retrieved along with a couple of nuts and bolts....Time wise the project has taken somewhere in the 20-30hr range. I started the project mid June and have only worked on the car during the week in the evenings a couple of hours each night for 2 or three nights per week with my friend..I have to give him most of the credit. He's done most of the work. The work tho has been rather slow. The caveats of the project was breaking the cam seal cap on my left head. That same day a knock sensor was broken removing the plug....those damn sensors are too dang brittle. I ordered another head and it took over 3 weeks to get. So after I got all of the machine work done, and started reassembly, it was August. If you asked me if I would do it again, I'm not sure. The cost savings really isn't that much when you wind up spending what you might have saved on the extra parts that you replaced because you were already torn down. Water pump and timing belt are a no brainer, the but other stuff like the exhaust bolts and nuts are expensive. A shop most likely would have just replaced the ones that broke and that would be it. My project cost was around $1200 so I saved around $400 from what I was quoted.
Old 12-28-07, 06:01 PM   #193 (permalink)
difficult to kill

Car 1: 1995 L coupe

Send a message via AIM to brynosaur
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanTheDude View Post
quick question to anyone thats done this- Is it necessary to use sealent on the water pump? It looks pretty sloppy and it seems like just the WP gasket being torqued down correctly to a clean block should seal up. Did you guys use extra sealant? anyone have any leaks?
im sure were all too good for 'instructions'

but my replacement water pump that came with a page of instructions. advocating the use of sealant. i did and it hasnt leaked a drop in the 200 miles since i put everything back together.
60a urethane mounts
FL tie bars (newly installed)
sr5guy stage III ecu
GB Xdrilled/slotted front n rear
rebuilt top end (~20k on it so far)
weapon r + cold air extension
5wire 4awg ground kit
Old 01-14-08, 04:15 PM   #194 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 9 reviews
just did my BHG job this helped alot, thanks
Old 01-14-08, 09:37 PM   #195 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Use the sealant! It beats starting up the car and finding out the Water Pump is leaking.

When I was installing a new waterpump the gasket for the upper plenum connection wouldn't stay put so I just used a butt load of RTV and it hasn't leaked in a few years. Same with the left rear coolant passage, my headgasket kit didn't even have a new gasket for it, so RTV did the job!

Also, make sure there is no water in the oil. If you remove the heads without draining the block, Anti freeze will fill up the cylinders and drain through to the sump. I ended up driving 20 minutes with water in the sump and the engine has been rough ever since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > DIYs