Head Gasket D.I.Y. - Page 16 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > DIYs

DIYs These threads contain answers to common topics. "Do it yourself" modifications are also archived here.

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-18-08, 05:36 AM   #226 (permalink)

Car 1: 92/95Legends, 88/89 CRXs
Car 2: 91 civic, 90 Integra
Car 3: 71T-bird, 95Explorer

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Yup its actually a pretty easy job, its just a lot of labelling vac tubes and bolts since almost everything on the intake and the water passage and connected has different sized bolts. For me it was cleaning everything really really well that took so long, then having to special order little parts i couldnt find.. like the block to head dowel pins

My Low Buck Non-Legend Builds
91 Civic Sedan (1.5 A/T -> 1.6vtec 5 spd)
90 DA Teg
89 Boosted CRX!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-08, 10:41 AM   #227 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
check tthis out. so i get everything back together and i run the garden hose thru the system and its good. then i put the plugs in and i use my socket to crack the car and my timing was good i had sure and it gets hard for 1 part then water dumps out the pass side exhaust wtf. and it did it like 2 times. i got pissed and went to play hand ball lol. what yall this it is?
Old 08-27-08, 01:37 PM   #228 (permalink)

Be a little clearer about what happened..

90 DA Teg
89 Boosted CRX!

Old 08-28-08, 11:10 PM   #229 (permalink)

not much i can say... i ran the hose thru the pipes to get the block seal out and then rolatated it by hand and on a stroke of 1 cylinder it is hard and then water dumped out the exhust flange. did it again and it happened again. im like 20 minutes from finishing if i wanted to and i might jsut do that and see what happenes.
Old 08-29-08, 01:55 PM   #230 (permalink)

Ya finish it up and see what happens.. Block sealer is the devil.

90 DA Teg
89 Boosted CRX!
Old 08-30-08, 01:29 AM   #231 (permalink)

Car 1: 1995 Acura Legend Coupe LS, Type II
Car 2: 1988 Cavi Z24 Drop

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by reboticon View Post
Ya finish it up and see what happens.. Block sealer is the devil.
OMG! +1

Rochelle

----------------------------------------------------

Old 08-30-08, 10:34 PM   #232 (permalink)

guy came in my job as was like i need a rad cap for a legend and thermo.. he said it dont over heat it pushes antifreeze out the bottle... i game him the dreaded news lol
Old 01-05-09, 10:59 PM   #233 (permalink)
11* [VETERAN NOOB!] *11

Car 1: 91 Acura Legend LS [RIP 06/03/2004]
Car 2: 93 Acura Legend LS

This thread gets DIY-Sticky of the year! Make that the forum!
11********LEGEND"11********11
11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11
Old 05-17-09, 09:10 PM   #234 (permalink)

Car 1: 1994-95 gs sedans

AFTER ALL THESE YEARS I SEE MY THREAD IS STILL ALIVE AND WELL! I GOT A MSSG FROM SOMEONE ABOUT TO DO THE JOB TODAY SO I LOGGED IN. BTW IF ANYONE WAS WONDERING MY LEGEND IS STILL RUNNING FAST AS EVER! NO MAJOR WORK ON MY CAR SINCE THEN AND IT'S FAST AS ISH! I'M GLAD I STARTED THIS THREAD SEEING THAT IT HAS HELPED SO MANY!

PEACE
Old 05-17-09, 10:35 PM   #235 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Iceman View Post
AFTER ALL THESE YEARS I SEE MY THREAD IS STILL ALIVE AND WELL! I GOT A MSSG FROM SOMEONE ABOUT TO DO THE JOB TODAY SO I LOGGED IN. BTW IF ANYONE WAS WONDERING MY LEGEND IS STILL RUNNING FAST AS EVER! NO MAJOR WORK ON MY CAR SINCE THEN AND IT'S FAST AS ISH! I'M GLAD I STARTED THIS THREAD SEEING THAT IT HAS HELPED SO MANY!

PEACE
Your thread has saved the lives of countless legends! Thanks so much for the DIY.

90 DA Teg
89 Boosted CRX!
Old 06-04-09, 03:45 PM   #236 (permalink)
Completly rebuilding...

Car 1: '94 LS 6-Spd Coupe

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
loud knocking after HG work

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasP520 View Post
Just finished the top end job on my '93 LS after a blow head gasket. Thanks so much for the valuable information! I have it all back together and running, but I have a loud tapping noise coming from the right front side of the motor. Any idea what it could be? I had the heads machined, so I'm comfortable everything is OK there. I understand that the valves are self adjusting, right?

I bought the car needing work, so I'm not sure if this tapping noise is normal or not. It runs ok, but I haven't run it more than a few minutes so far. Should I warm it up real well and see what happens?

Thanks
Just finished my HG repair. Car was apart for about a year. I'm getting a very loud rythmic tapping from the right cyl. head too. Much louder than the normal tapping our cars do. Had the heads PnP, pressure tested, seals done, etc so I'm not to worried about a valve issue (unless the shop did it wrong). However the rocker assembly was off of the heads for about a year and was pretty much untouched from the time it was pulled until it was reattached. Was thinking that maybe some oil hardened in that time and is preventing oil from being distributed to all the tappets & rockers? Just my best guess so far since it doesn't sound like more than one or two rockers are knocking.

Plus the engine is idling a little rough but as I just finished a major overhaul maybe the ECU needs to get settled.

Many users on the forum suggest adding CD2 and see if it clears out. The noise is loud enough to be really concerning. Don't want to further damage the engine components. I would also like to avoid pulling the rocker assembly and trying to clean each and every hole on it as well.

Does it sound like I'm on the right track for diagnosis? Should I do a compression test and make sure all 6 cylinders are firing? Should I try CD2 or Rizolone and hope for the best?

I am running Mobile 1 5w-30 at the moment - hopefully this oil isn't too lean for these components.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Chad / Llloydxmas
Konig Tantrums, Momo Shift knob & E-brake, Eibach Pro-Kit, Koni REDS, Dampner, Web Cams, DV8 y-pipe, OBX headers, Remus exhaust, DV8 intake, Aluminum pulley set, Short shifter, Telion chip, Valentine One w/custom gauge cluster display, MLS strut bar, Tie-Bar
Old 06-04-09, 09:11 PM   #237 (permalink)

Honestly the best way to go about diagnosing for you would be to pull the valve cover and watch what is happening with the valves on that head as it runs. you will need to mask the surrounding area because if its working properly it will throw some oil.

90 DA Teg
89 Boosted CRX!
Old 06-05-09, 06:08 PM   #238 (permalink)
Completly rebuilding...

Car 1: '94 LS 6-Spd Coupe

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by reboticon View Post
Honestly the best way to go about diagnosing for you would be to pull the valve cover and watch what is happening with the valves on that head as it runs. you will need to mask the surrounding area because if its working properly it will throw some oil.
So if I play this out in my head it would go something like this:
Pull valve cover, reinsert the plus and coils, and start-up the engine with the cylinder top-end exposed. Should I be aware of any gotchas with this? Whats the best way to mask off the area? Not knowing how oil is distributed in the head I'm not sure how to best counteract this.

I'm not clear how the oil is distributed throughout the cylinder head as the manual only covers bottom-end lubrication. Is oil distributed to each valve through the rocker assembly or is the oil simply shot into the cavity and 'splattered' throughout the top end as it is deflected from the valve cover. The second way seems rather inprecise so it is unlikely. Is there a different method for oil distribution?

Thanks for the help
Konig Tantrums, Momo Shift knob & E-brake, Eibach Pro-Kit, Koni REDS, Dampner, Web Cams, DV8 y-pipe, OBX headers, Remus exhaust, DV8 intake, Aluminum pulley set, Short shifter, Telion chip, Valentine One w/custom gauge cluster display, MLS strut bar, Tie-Bar
Old 06-05-09, 07:30 PM   #239 (permalink)

Oil is shot through the cam bearings into the cam journals. That lubricates the cam. The lifters themselves also shoot oil through them. If you run it and see lifters that aren't lubricating themselves with oil, something is wrong. Probably one of them had all the oil inside dry out and its got some gunk in it. Oil isnt going to shoot everywhere without the valve cover on but it will have droplets thrown off of the cam.

Now that I think about it, you may also have to ground the coil packs somehow, since the valve cover would be removed. This is the most common technique for setting valve lash on a domestic V8. Adjust the rockers down until they quit clacking, then one extra half turn.

90 DA Teg
89 Boosted CRX!
Old 06-29-09, 01:47 AM   #240 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 Legend Coupe
Car 2: '93 Accord *wrecked*

Hey one question. When you guys have your heads machined, what do you have them milled to? I was thinking really small, like 5/1000 or 10/1000. Or do you just take off enough to make them flat again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > DIYs