Head Gasket D.I.Y. - Page 6 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > DIYs

DIYs These threads contain answers to common topics. "Do it yourself" modifications are also archived here.

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-30-06, 08:44 PM   #76 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs up

The 1/2 tooth tip worked perfect. Thanks alot for the tip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-06, 07:29 PM   #77 (permalink)

i just had this done myself, i payed 300 for the gasket kit, and my uncle did it for me. i got a 1993 Acura Legend, and it was 170k miles on it, i just replaced the head gaskets, its got a new timing belt, new water pump, and radiator. Think it still has some life to it?
Old 04-08-06, 09:25 PM   #78 (permalink)

Ay, very good post. Woulda helped me out on my first Legend!

Old 04-08-06, 09:30 PM   #79 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poizun
i just had this done myself, i payed 300 for the gasket kit, and my uncle did it for me. i got a 1993 Acura Legend, and it was 170k miles on it, i just replaced the head gaskets, its got a new timing belt, new water pump, and radiator. Think it still has some life to it?
Dude my first 1991 Legend ran till 270k Just baby it
Old 04-15-06, 02:18 AM   #80 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 legend sedan

blown piston rings

thanks for D.I.Y on that, I recently done my head gasket and spent 1200 , and it was fine, now after 7 months , blue smoke is coming oujt of my muffluer. i recently took back too da shop that did the job on my head gasket and they told me it now blown piston rings, someone please help
Old 04-17-06, 12:55 PM   #81 (permalink)
Destory The Peace Champion, Empty Santas Sack Champion, Attack from the Influenza Chickens Champion, Last Man Standing: Keg Stand Champion, Kill Kitties Champion

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
You didnt follow the cardinal rule with HG replacement. Since the engine was apart you should have changed the valve seals and other pertinent things. Blue smoke definatly means oil is burning. Not so sure on the blown rings thing though. How often does the smoke come out?
Old 05-08-06, 12:44 AM   #82 (permalink)

Cool Here we go...

Well I'm throwing my hat in the ring. I had a cracked Cranshaft pulley and one of the sections came right off of the hub!! The used replacement I got has the same stress cracks in it!! So I said screw it might as well address the intermittent rising of the temp gauge, and screwy high idle. Besides it looks cool and I want to drive this car for along time. I'm up to the ignition coils...

Let's hope for the best.
Old 05-10-06, 09:29 PM   #83 (permalink)

if anyone has done this job before..umm i cant loosen the screws that the driver side pulley is connected too..the whole pulley seems to turn when i try to unscrew it..anyone has any tips on what to do?
Old 05-12-06, 04:07 PM   #84 (permalink)

Where were you when I needed you like a year ago man! I had to go through the same shit!
Old 05-12-06, 04:31 PM   #85 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlWhiteLedge
if anyone has done this job before..umm i cant loosen the screws that the driver side pulley is connected too..the whole pulley seems to turn when i try to unscrew it..anyone has any tips on what to do?

Make sure the tensioner screw is going through the AC compressor pulley, that will prevent the pulley from rotating with the bolt. If its the Alternator then you need to loosen the bolt below the Alternator and then loosen the tensioner, you dont have to actually remove the pulley for it. Power Steering pump is the same procedure as the AC compressor.
Old 05-12-06, 04:34 PM   #86 (permalink)

Car 1: 3.5L 1991 LS Coupe 5 Spd Blk/Blk
Car 2: 1999 Acura 3.5RL
Car 3: 2004 GMC Sierra Z71

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Mike Diaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethred
Make sure the tensioner screw is going through the AC compressor pulley, that will prevent the pulley from rotating with the bolt. If its the Alternator then you need to loosen the bolt below the Alternator and then loosen the tensioner, you dont have to actually remove the pulley for it. Power Steering pump is the same procedure as the AC compressor.

I think he's talking about the camshaft pulley.

I used an impact gun to break those bolts loose, it gets it quick and easy. Otherwise you need to use a belt strap to hold it still
Old 05-12-06, 06:22 PM   #87 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlWhiteLedge
Lacking an impact wrench, the method I used was this, though it may be a little hard to visualize: I put a wrench on one bolt, and another wrench on the second bolt. Squeeze the two wrenches together until the first bolt breaks breaks loose, and remove. Do the same for the next bolt, but do not remove. Use it as leverage to break the third one loose, and remove it. Yes, as you freed the third bolt, you tightened the second, but not near as tight as it was. Wedge a piece of wood abut the width of the timing belt against the pulley and remove the third bolt.

Convoluted a bit, but it worked for me.
Old 05-12-06, 10:41 PM   #88 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Diaz
I think he's talking about the camshaft pulley.

I used an impact gun to break those bolts loose, it gets it quick and easy. Otherwise you need to use a belt strap to hold it still

Whoops! I couldn't get mine off with an impact wrench, so I sent it off to the machine shop with them still on.
Old 05-13-06, 11:57 AM   #89 (permalink)

Car 1: 3.5L 1991 LS Coupe 5 Spd Blk/Blk
Car 2: 1999 Acura 3.5RL
Car 3: 2004 GMC Sierra Z71

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Mike Diaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethred
Whoops! I couldn't get mine off with an impact wrench, so I sent it off to the machine shop with them still on.

When I do head gaskets, I usually leave them on.
Old 05-13-06, 03:55 PM   #90 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Diaz
When I do head gaskets, I usually leave them on.

The machine shop made me take the pulleys and lifter assembly off of each head.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > DIYs