Here's how to fix your ashtray if it's stuck open and won't latch shut
Here's how to fix your ashtray if it is stuck open and won't latch shut.
1. pull the black trim panel from around the shifter area. (if it has a manual transmission, just pull down the top shift boot from the shift knob and unscrew the shift knob)
2. remove 2 black screws from tray below ashtray.
3. remove the whole trim piece with the ashtray attached (the woodgrain piece if you got it), it's held in by clips that just pop out, be careful, don't pry too hard, it can break if you're not careful.
4. take the trim piece in the house and work at a desk or table, this makes working with little parts a little easier.
5. flip the trim bezel over and look at the bottom of the ashtray part. See that little silver metal tab? That's what you've got to fix.
6. Remove the 4 larger screws that hold the ashtray to the trim bezel.
7. Remove the screw holding that silver metal tab. be careful not to lose the U-shaped metal bar that's below it.
8. Once you have the metal tab in your hand, bend it, so that it'll push the U-shaped metal bar down a little harder.
9. Reinstall the screw that held the metal tab
10. Reinstall the 4 screws that held the ashtray to the bezel.
11. Test out your ashtray to see if it clicks into place, if it doesn't you need to bend the metal tab farther, or the other direction.
12. When it works, reinstall the trim bezel, the 2 screws below the "now working" ashtray, and the black trim panel from around the shifter area.
This takes about 5-10 minutes to fix, all you need is a phillips screwdriver. Happy fixing!
Last edited by Mike Diaz; 01-21-09 at 08:41 PM.