how to install your front konis - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > DIYs

DIYs These threads contain answers to common topics. "Do it yourself" modifications are also archived here.

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-04, 01:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 1993 BLACK SEDAN

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to LEGENDARY 93
how to install your front konis

After trying to install my front koni's correctly 3 times, i finally got it right. I know what to do and what not to do when installing koni's and stock springs on a generation 2 acura legend sedan. the following is a comprehensive guide on how to install your front koni's. PLEASE READ THESE INSTRUCTIONS ALL THE WAY THRU PRIOR TO ATTEMPTING THIS JOB!! It helps to know what youre getting yourself into, and what you will and will not need.
here goes....

when you get your konis, ensure that you have the 2 shocks and the parts bag. The konis come factory set at the highest of the 2 perches and at the softest setting. I left mine soft and adjusted them to the lower perch.

this DIY is MUCH easier with an impact gun/ compressd air tools and spring compressors. I got my compressors at Auto Zone for $43.00 and they let me borrow them. Borrow, beg or buy these items to make this project go as smooth as ex-lax. you will need about 2 to 3 hours for a beginner to do this. Please enlist the help of a friend- this is VERY difficult to tackle by yourself.

It took me 3 times to get this right- Thank you to Ranger Joe for the phone help and to Cole Austin for hosting the pics. some of the pics may be of the actual koni's when i am referring to the stock shocks- if you have any questions at all, please PM ME and i will edit this post with your concern so that others dont hafta read thru a bunch of crap to get the info they want.

1. jack the car up and remove the rim.
2. remove the 17mm lower fork bolt with a wrench and a socket.
hold onto the strut bar and jump on the rotor while a friend wiggles and pulls the lower fork bolt out. use WD-40 to help.

3. remove the 2 13mm brake line bolts from the brake line retainer. you may need to bend one of the supports in order to get a socket to the bolt.
4. remove the15mm upper fork bolt that tightens around the base of the shock.
5. hold onto the strut bar and jump on the rotor while a friend wiggles and pulls the entire fork out. be careful of the brake line and the rubber boots.

6. remove the 3 14mm bolts from the bump stop in the engine bay. DO NOT REMOVE THE CENTER BOLT AT THIS TIME! trust me..

7. pull out the entire shock assembly
8. place the spring compressors on opposite sides of the spring. ensure that:
a.) the adjustment bolts of the spring compressors are pointed toward the bottom of the spring, away from the bump stops. this prevents the bump stops from hindering the movement and placement of the socket.
b.) the 2 spring compressors are placed on opposite sides of the springs, and that they stay that way. these compressors tend to slide toward eachother during adjustment, which makes the process more difficult.
c.) you adjust the 2 compressors evenly, in intervals, on both sides.
d.) the spring compressors are as close to the end of the springs as possible. dont struggle to twist them into the last curl, but ensure that they are close to the end. this makes removal easier.

FOR SOME REASON THIS PIC WONT SHOW UP ON HERE- CUT AND PASTE IT TO YOUR BROWSER AND IT WORKS FINE. JUST DONT HIGHLIGHT THE [IMG] ON EACH END.

9. commence to tightening the spring compressors. This is where having an impact gun really helps. you will be dead tired if you attempt to do this by hand!
10. once the pressure is off the perch, you can remove the top center 17mm bolt. Be careful- if you havent taken the pressure off of the bump stop and the perch, then you will have an unpleasant surprise! "Pop goes the weasel" comes to mind...
11. remove the brake line retainer, metal cap and perch. spray them generously with WD-40 and put the shock in a table-mounted vise, or if you dont have one, place the shock on the ground standing up and use a flat head screwdriver and/or a hammer to beat those pieces off, periodically turning the shock to hammer them off evenly. Be careful not to tighten the vise onto the shock- it might be hazardous!
12. keep the spring perch and the brake line retainer- you will use them. you can discard the metal cap and the shock. It is up to you if you want to keep the stock boot. there will be red stuff that will fall out of the boot. i dunno niether do i care what it was. i didnt use em.
13. slide the brake line retainer onto the bottom of the shock with the lip towards the top using WD-40 and (carefully) a hammer. ENSURE that the tit on the retainer is directly lined up with the groove on the shock.

14. adjust the perch clip to the desired position by prying it off with a flat head screw driver.
15. slide on the metal ring provided w/ the koni's all the way down to the perch clip. see next pic.
16. slide the OEM spring perch onto the shock like a bell- DONT put it on upside down! see next pic.
17. slide on the white plastic protective ring to the base of the plunging rod of the shock. see next pic.

18. slide on the OEM black washer (i didnt use the thick metal OEM washer)to the beveled portion of the plunging rod of the shock.
19. slide on the compressed spring and align with the angle on the OEM perch.
20. slide on the bump stop and the concave washer, ensuring that the angle on the underside angle of the bumpstop is aligned with the end of the spring.
21. tighten the NEW 17mm bolt onto the threaded plunging rod (center bolt on the bump stop)
22. decompress spring compressors evenly on each side and ensure they dont slide toward eachother and ensure that the perch and bump stops stay aligned.
23. reinstall the new shock assembly.
24. reverse the removal instructions. ensure that the groove in the bottom of the koni is perfectly aligned with the upper fork bolt. the bolt will slide almost all the way thru when this is achieved.

THATS IT!!! pm me or post here with any questions and all the praise you wanna give me!!
@#$%$%^&*&*$: SPLIT IN HALF [email protected]#$%^&&**&^

Last edited by LEGENDARY 93; 04-07-04 at 01:45 PM.
LEGENDARY 93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-04, 11:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car 1: 2001 VW Jetta 1.8T WE
Car 2: 2002 Honda S2000

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Nice job on the writeup!

Contact me if you need the following:
Alpine CHA-S634 Changer
https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...hanger-132692/
HELM Factory Shop/Electrical Manual
Sedan Type-F floor mats
Driver Side seat (free)
Throttle Body
Avarice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-04, 03:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

great write up, glad i didnt get koni's now that i know what it takes to install them. all i had was hand tools

and he's dead on about using an impact gun with the spring compressors, the more you turn the tougher it gets
OlympusMons is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-04, 08:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

camn anyone help me with that one picture that wont show? it is driving me nuts...
Old 04-08-04, 04:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

i wouldn't reccomend jumping on the rotor, however, nice write up.
LeoLegendATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-04, 10:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

ok, you should place firm pressure onto the rotor- not more than what is needed in order to remvoe and replace the fork.

HA HA i got a sticker!!
Old 04-09-04, 03:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

Car 1: 3.5L 1991 LS Coupe 5 Spd Blk/Blk
Car 2: 1999 Acura 3.5RL
Car 3: 2004 GMC Sierra Z71

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Mike Diaz
Want me to move this to the DIY? Very good presentation.
Mike Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-04, 05:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

if i can get that one pic to display here, then that would be great to move to the DIY. should i add anything?
Old 07-20-04, 07:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cole Austin

does anybody have any suggestions... I'm going to be doing this soon, and just wondering if anybody has any further suggestions on the install.

Also, I'm assuming the rear is similar to the front?
Old 07-20-04, 02:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole Austin
does anybody have any suggestions... I'm going to be doing this soon, and just wondering if anybody has any further suggestions on the install.

Also, I'm assuming the rear is similar to the front?
The rears are easier, because you don't have to deal with the fork. Just one bolt on the bottom, and the 3 nuts on the top (you have to remove the rear speakers), and it comes out.

James92LS just went through this process, he may have more suggestions as well.
smth_hckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-04, 10:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
AKA Smartjay28

Car 1: JDM KA7
Car 2: w203

Send a message via AIM to Johnny Kim Send a message via Yahoo to Johnny Kim
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEGENDARY 93
camn anyone help me with that one picture that wont show? it is driving me nuts...
if its the hosting problem, send me the pics, ill host them
[email protected]
Old 07-24-04, 05:00 AM   #12 (permalink)

I can see these pics- can anyone else?
Old 07-24-04, 06:26 AM   #13 (permalink)
AKA Smartjay28

Car 1: JDM KA7
Car 2: w203

Send a message via AIM to Johnny Kim Send a message via Yahoo to Johnny Kim
i cannnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Old 07-02-06, 09:06 PM   #14 (permalink)

Car 1: 91 legend coupe
Car 2: 92 legend coupe
Car 3: 93 legend coupe

iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to tofusensei Send a message via MSN to tofusensei
when installing konis with ground controls, is a spring compressor needed? ive read other threads it seems like theres diff answers. after jacking car up it seems like the front still has a bit of tension but someone mentioned a bit of force could just be used to put them on koni. how bout removing?is it still dangerous? the rear looks pretty loose and doesnt look like a compressor is needed.

so will i be okay removing from stock shock/installing gc without spring compressor?

thanks

~t.s.

wireless g adapters -- https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...066#post911066
tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-06, 09:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
Autobahn Champion, Drive and Dodge Champion, Highway Hunter Champion

iTrader Score: 24 reviews
no when installing GC with koni, a spring compressor is not required becuase the GC springs are not under tension.

Alperovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > DIYs