Rattling Rear Deck Fix - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > DIYs

DIYs These threads contain answers to common topics. "Do it yourself" modifications are also archived here.

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-03, 11:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 94 Milano Red Coupe L

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs up Rattling Rear Deck Fix

Ok, I'm reposting this since when my old account got deleted accidentally on the forums it made it hard for people to search for some of my DIY's. Here ya go:

------------------------------------------------

First off there are a few things that I should say. I really hate rattles that come from inside the cabin of my car and I do just about anything to get rid of them .

Now this guide is written up for a G2 Legend Coupe, but may help out quite a bit with the G2 Sedans, and possibly even the G1's if they have this same kinda problem.

I'm sure that many of you who have subwoofers get really annoyed when you subwoofer hits real hard and the cleaness of your multi thousand dollar car audio system is interupted by a rattle. Rattles can kinda mix their way into the music and cancel out certain frequencies and greatly degrade sound quality along with annoy anybody in the car especially if they are continuous because you start to expect them. Another thing that the Legend is prone to is the rear deck rattling when you are driving down a bumpy road if there are any damaged clips (which is very easy to do).

Ever since I got my Legend I was always annoyed by my rear deck rattling and I always came up with little fixes for it, but never could eliminate everything at once. I had been looking at dynamating my trunk for a very long time, but never wanted to spend the money or really put to much effort into it to do it perfectly. What I did is basically the poor mans dynamat but it worked perfectly.

Now this guid might not work for G2 Sedan owners because I hear that you guys have problems with your third brake light rattling up agains the rear window as well (same for 91-93 coupe owners I guess).

Basically what I did though is I found a old towell that was about the same size as the rear deck area.

Here is what you'll want to do once you have that taken care of (if you have a helm manual read from that and ignore my first few steps):

1) Make sure that you remove the 2 plastic clips in the tray in the deck and also disconnect the tweeters by going into the trunk

2) remove the deck that has the speaker grills on it and everything by reaching to the left corner closest to you and lifting up (once off set off to the side outside of the car)

3) now take off the things covering the pillars directly aove the rear deck basically... this is done by basically just popping them off, I kinda stick a screw driver in there sometimes and just pop em out a little (just let them hang down once they're off

4) now you need to take out the little plastic clips from the left and right parts closest to you and the whole other rear deck basically pops off. (I can't tell you enough times though to be careful and take your time or else you will break clips). If you do break some though don't worry about it to much (I broke quite a few at first because I had no idea what I was doing).

5)Once you have pulled that out of the car too, just lay the towell over the rear deck and take a sharpie and start tracing on the towell what you are going to need to cut out so that the clips can still be used and everything. If you broke any clips don't cut a hole their because this will stop the rattling. then just assemble everything taking your time, and make sure that all the clips are connected (or else you will get rattling for sure)

6) make sure that your speaker grills aren't broken off in any way. If they are just take some elmbers glue and put it underneath it and press down and stick something on top of it for a bit once it's in the car.

Enjoy and feel free to tell me how much you love me . I always enjoy that. Once I get over to my bigger computer I'll get some of the helm manual pages scanned.

1994 Acura Legend Coupe
SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-03, 11:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Thanx man, I'll try that soon
legend4life95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-03, 12:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

BTW, 92coupeon18's tried it if I remember right and it worked great for him.

I don't know if I mentioned this, but you can also use Dynamat which would probably even work better.

1994 Acura Legend Coupe

Old 05-17-03, 01:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

yeah, but that stuff is just too damn expensive for rattles
legend4life95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-03, 09:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

I had the same exact problem, after i put in 2 12 inch puch 2 rockford fosgates in the trunk, the rear deck started rattling, and the high brake mount light started rattling also. This summer ill layer it with dynamat, but what i did for now is a temp solutin that worked out pritty good. I put a wine cork under the high brake light to make it stay in contact with the rear window and not rattle. And as for the rear deck just took 2 pieces of newspaper(fat pieces) and stuck them between the rear deck and the windshield in such a way that they wont be too visible, they keep the rear deck in place and the sound is very crisp now) So now i can enjoy the sound of my 4 way rear and 3 way front pioneers, with a nice crisp bass. I hope it will be even better after i put dynamat in the trunk and on the rear deck.
Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-03, 09:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

thanks

thanks Aaron!!!

I will try this over the weekend.....i have my dynamat in my trunk covering the trunk lid and the rear ....my trunk doesnt move and the lid doesnt rattle.....but my rear deck lid and window go crazy....i am gonna try to use ur technique and see how it works.....

thanks again
95coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-03, 05:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Honda 4 L*fe

Car 1: 94 Coupe L -- Sold 8/04

Speed--

you da man! that's a great, cheap fix from the sounds of it. Couple questions for you though. Is a thick, plush towel or thin, old towel better to use? is there any clearance/fitting issues witha thicker towel.

Also, about the speaker grills.....mine rattle pretty bad becase of broken plastic clips so the glueing down should help there but i've also noticed that the cloth that covers the grill moves as well creating another rattle-like noise with deep base. Have you experienced anything like this or better yet, know of a solution? Thanks again man.
CBRKid20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-03, 04:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ahh, for the speaker grills I just use RTV silicone, cause by now pretty much all of my clips have broken off as well. Thicker the towel the better pretty much. I just used a normal shower towel (went back into my parents bedroom and grabbed one of the nice polo shower towels, I was going crazy ).

1994 Acura Legend Coupe
Old 09-16-03, 06:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car 1: 94 Milano Red LS coupe 6spd

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Anyone else tried this and got it to work? I'm about to try it in my coupe, cuz the rattling is driving me nuts
Old 09-16-03, 08:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
K L E A N M O D

Car 1: 1995 KA8 *R.I.P*
Car 2: 1997 S14 *SOLD*
Car 3: 2004 GTO

iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Worked good for me..
-1996.8 S14a-SOWED
-1995.8 S14a- SOLD
-2004 GTO-R.I.P
-1998 S14a

-Holy Rollerz CCC Member-

My KA8's totaled and still greater than....

Imitatated. Never duplicated.
Thai.95LCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-03, 03:09 PM   #11 (permalink)

i ripped out the wierd lookin insilation that goes around the border of the trunk ya know behind the trunk lineing. well i found some on the back on the trunk facing the seat figured i dint need it cuz the liner was leaning against the foam seat back and cut the sheet up and placed it around my rear deck
legendcoupe93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-04, 08:15 AM   #12 (permalink)

I did a somewhat sloppy job the first time so I'm going to do this again pretty soon here, I'm going to cut the towel better. There's also the possibility though that the towel just kind of wears away after a year.

BTW, A plush towel would be better to use.

1994 Acura Legend Coupe
Old 01-19-04, 09:01 AM   #13 (permalink)
K L E A N M O D

Car 1: 1995 KA8 *R.I.P*
Car 2: 1997 S14 *SOLD*
Car 3: 2004 GTO

iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally posted by SpeedDemon
I did a somewhat sloppy job the first time so I'm going to do this again pretty soon here, I'm going to cut the towel better. There's also the possibility though that the towel just kind of wears away after a year.

BTW, A plush towel would be better to use.
Just break down and get it dynomatted.. Good to see you still have the Legend Arron! Happy new year man..
-1996.8 S14a-SOWED
-1995.8 S14a- SOLD
-2004 GTO-R.I.P
-1998 S14a

-Holy Rollerz CCC Member-

My KA8's totaled and still greater than....

Imitatated. Never duplicated.
Thai.95LCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-04, 01:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
my name is also my PSN id

Car 1: white 91 turbo LS coupe
Car 2: black 94 GS sedan

Send a message via Yahoo to alienclay
heh heh, i simply removed the little hatch door and threw it away.

then i mounted my 1 farad capacitor in the bare open tray

now people either give complements on my audio setup or ask me if that's my nitrous bottle.
and keven, my legacy stock black 94GS sedan.
2 cars, one passion.
alienclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-04, 10:14 PM   #15 (permalink)

i was bout to ask about this so good thing i found this first so i didn't get flamed... anyways.. i gotta go thru the trunk to get to the high brake light right.. i think that's where the rattle i hear is.. I'd love to turn up my system but the damn rattle is killing me.

I have a 92 Sedan so i'mma have to look up another thread or something. I got the Haynes manual (yeah i know) so how much could that help me stopping that light or whatever is there from rattling!

/edit

OK well that went well.. it's freezing outside but i think the only rattling i had was from the panel where the high brake light is and not the light... Just stuck some paper between one corner and it's all gone... if i turn it waaay up more then the other side rattles a lil but i usually don't even go that high..

Last edited by SHoTTa35; 01-22-04 at 10:37 PM.
SHoTTa35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > DIYs