Sidemarkers DIY - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > DIYs

DIYs These threads contain answers to common topics. "Do it yourself" modifications are also archived here.

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-25-05, 11:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Sidemarkers DIY

Hey, I decided to give back to the community after taking so much! Hope this helps you guys! Thanks to JTJohnny102 for help with the wiring!

Materials: Sidemarkers with wires, bulbs, Wire cutters/strippers, electrical tape, solder and soldering iron, two different color wires (one color will do), Dremel tool and cutting discs(1 will do), safety googles and sanding mask.

Procedures:
1) Measure and mark the area you want to cut with a white crayon or tape. The crayon will rub off.

2) Use a dremel tool to cut the marked area out. My dremel was 35,000 rpm which was really fast so i kinda messed up. Touch up paint will fix it.

3) Insert the marker to make sure it fits correctly and make any adjustments.

4) After adjustments, go on to pull off your corner light housings so you can do the wiring. There will be a screw where the corner headlight is that will release the corner light housing. Then pull the sucker off... its a pain. There are two bulbs that you will see when you pull the housing out. One blinks and the other does not. Make sure you wire the sidemarkers to the blinking one. To check which is which just turn on your blinkers!
Okay, so now get your extra wire that you bought (one of the two colors) and splice it into the positive wire of the blinking corner light. You do this by stripping the wire around it and twisting the new wire around and and soldering it together. Then wrap it in electrical tape. You can also buy wire taps which are a lot easier and save you time. The positive wire is the blue one on the right side and the yellow one on the left side.

5) Measure the length of wire you will need to run it do the sidemarkers then cut it with the wire cutter. Run the positive wire all the way through the inside of the fender and under the wheel liner. Then tuck it into the wheel liner and run it down toward the sidemarker hole. This is the tricky part, because i had to use a clothes hanger to grab the wire to pull it through the sidemarker hole.

6) Okay now its type for the ground wire. You have some choices. You can wire it to your chassis ground or splice the ground on the corner lights, which is the black wire next to the positive wire. I chose the chassis. So, I measured the length of wire I might need and wired it to one of the ground points in my car by wrapping it around the ground cables.

7) Then, I ran the ground wire all the way back to the corner housing and back to the sidemarker hole like in step 5.

8) Okay now that your positive and negative wires are attached to the car, we will begin wiring it to the sidemarkers. Strip the positive and ground wires about 1/2 inch. Then strip the wires that came with your side markers the same length. Twist the wires together, positive to positive, negative to negative. Then solder them and wrap it in electrical tape. Tape up or tie any excess wire lengths.

9) Insert the bulb holders and bulb. I chose xenon white bulbs.

10) Then use touch up paint to line the sidemarker holes so that they don't rust and touch up any mistakes.

11) Attach the sidemarker to the bulb holder and insert it into the hole. Test the lights to see if they work. Then use some silicon adhesive to attach the sidemarker to the car and for added water protection.

12) Reattach corner lights and your done! Congrats now you got sidemarkers!
acuralegend94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-05, 04:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

which brand side markers did you use? where'd you get it and how much?
do all side markers require to use the dremel to cut a piece of the fender off?
jackdanielsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-05, 07:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
EDM Honda Legend Coupe

Car 1: '95 EDM Legend Coupe

Send a message via ICQ to MikeD Send a message via AIM to MikeD Send a message via Skype™ to MikeD
Wow, great pics and a very nice tutorial. I love those nice write-up's! Hat off, 'acuralegend94'

Such a nice tutorial belongs to the place where it should be... Into the DIY Forum. I move that thread over there. Thank you very much, my friend ! -Mike

BTW: I never knew that USDM's does not have side Marker Lamps?
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-05, 08:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car 1: 93 Black L Coupe
Car 2: 91 Red LS Coupe(RIP)

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JTJohnny102 Send a message via MSN to JTJohnny102
good job man, way to get those done on there, good write up, bout exactly the same way i did mine. how was it the first time cutting into the car? i remember asking myself "what am i doing, now i have no choice but to finish it" but the other side was a piece of cake after doin one side. i guess i wasnt used to just cutting into my car.

the only difference I did and recommend is to put a couple layers of automotive tape around the area to be cut, minimizes the chance of running outside into areas you didnt want to cut.

anyone who chooses to do this be careful with the dremmel, it'll kick back if you dont hold it strong and you'll end up cutting out of the cutting zone.

dont forget earplugs, it gets hella loud cutting into the fender

heres a pic of mine(just click on image), i used the bmw 3 series e46 clears, i think he also used the same type if im not mistaken

Last edited by JTJohnny102; 04-26-05 at 08:17 AM.
JTJohnny102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-05, 12:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

yah i used the bmw e46 side markers also. I think they look nicer than the others. Thanks for all the comments! i was wondering when somebody would notice! I tried posting in the DIY forum but it said my account couldn't post there or something.

Yeah definately... the dremel tool kicks back! I scratched the car if you didn't see that silver line next to the hole... haha but touch up paint did a good job of fixing that. I used a 35,000rpm dremel... that thing kicks like a horse! Definately use a slower one if possible or keep two hands on it! I made the mistake of fixing my sanding mask.... Also like johnny said.... use ear plugs! i forgot to mention that!

Thanks mikeD! you were always there to help me! haha

Btw.. the sidemarkers were 11 bucks off ebay. The bulb holders(2) were 10, the harness/clip unit thing(2) was 12, and the 4 wires to connect to the unit were 10. I got ripped off, but others seemed to get it the bulb holders and harnesses for around 20 from the dealer.
Old 04-26-05, 12:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

btw i know my engine bay and car is dirty! and i know my bumper is loose! All will be fixed when summer comes around!
Old 04-26-05, 12:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

btw... yes a dremel is recommended... what you can do is go to walmart... buy one use it and return it! haha they take everything back
Old 04-26-05, 03:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
EDM Honda Legend Coupe

Car 1: '95 EDM Legend Coupe

Send a message via ICQ to MikeD Send a message via AIM to MikeD Send a message via Skype™ to MikeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by acuralegend94
Thanks mikeD! you were always there to help me! haha
Yes, it's my job and esp because you are my friend !!! -Mike
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-05, 09:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
EDM KA8 owner

Car 1: EDM KA8 '91
Car 2: EDM KA8 '91 RIP

iTrader Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via MSN to lgnd
Great! My EDM legend has sidemarkers in orange color. I'd like to change it to a white one with orange bulbs.
lgnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-05, 11:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Looking for Blk/Bk GS6MT

Car 1: 1999 TL - Blk/Blk

Send a message via AIM to mondonalds
I am planning on doing this mod when I get some time. Thanks for the great write-up

1999 3.2TL - Black w/ Type A (01-07 - ____)
1996 Toyota 4Runner Limited (05-06 - _____)
1993 LS Sedan - Geneva Green Pearl w/ Type F (11/04 - 07/06)
mondonalds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-05, 11:45 AM   #11 (permalink)

I don't plan on doing this to my car but I got to give you props for a great write up.
OhGeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-05, 02:09 PM   #12 (permalink)

Haha thanks. I did this a while back it was pretty easy. USE A DREMEL thats all i can say. Drills will crack your paint.

Thanks
John
Old 11-11-05, 11:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
'hood Garage
Arcanoid Champion, Crab Ball Champion, Hail Mary Champion, Indian Shikar Champion, Jungle Monkey Champion

Car 1: '91 Twin Turbo 5/6 spd Panda/Type C
Car 2: KA24DE-T S13

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to hotlavaflow
Good look, that's my project this weekend cause I have no turn signals in the front right now (JDM lights). I have the E46 clear sidemarkers as well as the JDM Legend clear markers but I think I'm gonna do the Leg sides.

AEM powered Twin Turbo KA7 since Feb'07
Sept'10 Reconstruction begins
hotlavaflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-05, 08:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
engineering fanatic

Car 1: 95 L sedan

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Suggestion:

To stop the dremmel from running outside the work area, drill small holes at the corners of the work area, and then work from the middle towards the corner holes with the dremmel.
NB: place the center of the hole a 1/2 diameter of the drill bit away from the lines (both horizontal and vertical), so that the circumference of the hole will fall on the lines (tangential/inscribed).

Since the paint might crack, how about sanding off a piece of the work area, just where the holes will be.
IMDKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-05, 07:17 AM   #15 (permalink)

Car 1: 93 Black L Coupe
Car 2: 91 Red LS Coupe(RIP)

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JTJohnny102 Send a message via MSN to JTJohnny102
a dremel works perfectly fine, just make sure to hold on to it
JTJohnny102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > DIYs