1989 Acura Legend LS, disconnecting ABS - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > First Generation Legend (1986-1990)

First Generation Legend (1986-1990) Discuss the 1st Generation Honda/Acura Legend (US 8

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-18, 08:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 1989 Acura Legend LS

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
1989 Acura Legend LS, disconnecting ABS

1989 Acura Legend LS, Automatic 4 Door ABS Reservoir overfills when I drive and stop. Modulator, Accumulator, Pump and high pressure lines are no longer available. All shops told me that they wont install these used parts, wont guarantee that they will work, fix this problem. Also, they stated that the cost would be around 2K, for a car worth less than 2K. Also, there are metal shaving in the ABS Reservoir. How many fuses do you disconnect? There are ALB, ALB1, ALB2 and ALB3. ALB1, 2 and 3 are 15W, ALB is 40W. Do I disconnect all 4, or only the 3 with 15W? Is there anything else I need to disconnect? ABS Master Control, or ABS Relay, or will the fuses be the only thing to remove to stop the ABS Reservoir from overflowing? Where would I find the Master Control or ABS Relay, if they need to be removed?
bdgabriel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-18, 10:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
Bullseye Blaster 2 Champion, Bean Hunter Champion, Clover Crunch Champion, Fight Man Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Frantic Killer Champion, Froggster Champion

Car 1: 1988 Acura Legend Sedan

iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to l4zy415 Send a message via MSN to l4zy415
Yes, you should be ok removing those fuses. The ABS module itself is behind the rear seat. You'll have to access it through the trunk and remove the rear cover.

17" DRAG DR-11 Rims/\Matador Red Paint/\Custom CAI/\LED Bright White Dash Lights/\Kenwood KDC-X590 Excelon Mp3 Deck/\Ford Taurus Coin/Cup Holder/\2 12" Kickers/\1800 Watt Kenwood Mono Amp/\Power Acoustic Capacitor/\Clear Rear Turn Signal/\Reverse Glow Gauges/\Swapped 88' Headlights to 89'-90'/\Swapped 88' seats to 89'/\JDM Rear Chrome Trim/\JDM Clear Corner/\JDM Power Folding-Heated Mirrors/\Stromung Muffler
l4zy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-18, 11:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car 1: 1989 Acura Legend LS

ABS Control Module and fuses

Should I disconnect 3 fuses or 4 fuses to stop the ABS (Modulator, Accumulator, Pump)? There is ALB 40w, ALB 1 15W, ALB 2 15W and ALB 3 15 W? I know to remove all 15w fuses. Do I remove ALB 40W, is this a part of the ABS? Do all fuses pull out? ABS Control Module in the passenger side rear seat? Is it held together by screws? Is there a connection to disconnect inside? Thank you. I cant find new parts, even so, its over 4K to replace. Not going to buy parts at a junk yard, no mechanic will use these parts, no guarantee. Thank you.

Last edited by bdgabriel1; 03-17-18 at 12:02 PM.
bdgabriel1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-18, 05:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car 1: Coupes 88L & 90LS (Olympic & Pearl White)
Car 2: 88 L Sedans X 2
Car 3: 87&90L Cpe Blue&Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdgabriel1 View Post
1989 Acura Legend LS, Automatic 4 Door ABS Reservoir overfills when I drive and stop. Modulator, Accumulator, Pump and high pressure lines are no longer available. All shops told me that they wont install these used parts, wont guarantee that they will work, fix this problem. Also, they stated that the cost would be around 2K, for a car worth less than 2K. Also, there are metal shaving in the ABS Reservoir. How many fuses do you disconnect? There are ALB, ALB1, ALB2 and ALB3. ALB1, 2 and 3 are 15W, ALB is 40W. Do I disconnect all 4, or only the 3 with 15W? Is there anything else I need to disconnect? ABS Master Control, or ABS Relay, or will the fuses be the only thing to remove to stop the ABS Reservoir from overflowing? Where would I find the Master Control or ABS Relay, if they need to be removed?
I had the same problem of ALB reservoir overfilling on an 1988 Sedan L which had not been driven for several years (I still have it). With a recommendation from a post on this website I drove the vehicle out to a gravel road and made multiple hard stops causing the ALB unti to "exercise" itself. It's valves re-seated and/or dislodged seat contamination allowing for normal functioning. If the ALB unit valves are not seating, then the master cylinder pressure seeps by the valves and overfills the ALB reservoir, so you'll have to seat the valves to stop the overfill from happening or separate the ALB piping from the master cylinder piping.
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-18, 09:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car 1: 1989 Sedan L. and 1990 Sedan LS
Car 2: 1991 Sedan L

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I solved this issue several years ago by performing a 'bypass operation'. If you search you'll find a very detailed explanation. The reservoir overflow issue occurred on my still-working ABS system. My fix essentially re-directs the overflowing fluid back into the other reservoir, and allows the fluid to move freely back-and-forth between the regular brake fluid reservoir and the ABS fluid reservoir. Go here: https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...low-fix-56937/
1990 Cobalt Blue Pearl Sedan LS w/JSP-92104 spoiler, Bose Stereo w/single cd player, plus FM Honda 6-disc changer in glove box. Automatic, 268,000 kms, original drivetrain, stock size tires. 1989 Ebony Black Metallic Sedan L Auto. Integra AM-FM cassette head unit, and Honda 6-disc changer in glove box. Stock size tires. Original engine threw a connecting rod mid-Feb, 2007 at 380,000 kms. JDM swap-out July 1, 2008. Car still off the road pending serious body work on rear quarter panels.
digger89L is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > First Generation Legend (1986-1990)