2nd to 3rd slip on 89 trans - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > First Generation Legend (1986-1990)

First Generation Legend (1986-1990) Discuss the 1st Generation Honda/Acura Legend (US 8

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-14-04, 03:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
2nd to 3rd slip on 89 trans

What would cause the trans to slip from 2nd to 3rd. Its kinda like a delayed shift. The revs. increase and if then shifts, just a little slip (i guess) but sometimes when the car is cold the trans is stuck in 2nd. I have drained and refiled the trans with honda atf 3 times and cleaned the solenoids about 6-7 times. before I did that the car would only shift from 1st to 4th. I now just want to get rid of this problem. Could it be a clutch pack or something, trans fluid pressure? and should I ad a filter? as there always seems to be debris on the solenoid screens even after a week.

P.S. will a 90 trans work in a 89 I know the tcu is different.
mattpalmeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-04, 03:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpalmeris
P.S. will a 90 trans work in a 89 I know the tcu is different.
Sorry Im not able to answer all your questions but a 90 Transmission is all alone. no other transmission made on the legend goes with the ninty.

I have a 90 and I looked and looked and all mecanics told me the same thing.

BUT!! I think with swapping here and there you could get it to work.
MrSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-04, 11:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Could be a number of things. Two make the tranny salvageable if they are 1. Test for Throttle Valve adjustment. You make this just tight enough and a little extra to make the line pressure higher. AKA kickdown cable. Look up the honda online manual on the stickie.

2. Drop in some Auto-RX to clean out the valve bodies inside if the tranny was not maintained with yearly drain and refills previously.
GREYLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-05, 08:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have A '90 legend L Auto, and a similar problem.
If I don't warm her up for a long time, it won't shift up to 3rd & 4th gears.

Also if I drive it while it's warming up (only 2nd gear) at some point it will rev up, as in Neutral, but this will only last a few seconds at most, then it shifts up and runs great (I usually let off the gas for several seconds, then tap the gas, and it will be ok).

I Changed the fluid (3X) shortly after I bought it (about 170,000 mi) to clear out the fluid from the tourque converter, etc.

It has done this since the day after I bought it. It now has about 185,000 mi.

Any chance it could be a solenoid, or sensor, or are the clutch plates the only likely source of the problem??

Anyone else out there have any info - advice..?

Also in looking for used trans (and other parts) I find 86-89, and 91-95... ? Is the '90 "special" or the same as 86-89?

Last edited by skip; 02-26-06 at 07:12 PM.
skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-05, 10:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car 1: 1989 legend coupe

sounds like the shift solenoid screen is plugged and the ATF can't pass through it when cold and thick but can when thinned out a bit by the heat.
jmm67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-05, 03:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm67
sounds like the shift solenoid screen is plugged and the ATF can't pass through it when cold and thick but can when thinned out a bit by the heat.
Ok, thanks.

Where is it and how can i check it?
Is there a DIY on it?

BTW, mine only slips when it its warmed up just enough to start to shift up to 3rd, once in 3rd. it is fine.
Old 12-03-05, 03:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

mine will slip from 2nd to 3rd but only if i im at full throttle, its not really a slip since the rpms dont go crazy, they just stop and chill for a second, its more of a hesitation, i could be wrong though, at that high of a rpm a slip isnt gona be able to rev up that much lol
cigarettcancerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-05, 08:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Trans. codes

Ok.
I checked the trans. code box, under the Pass. seat (from the back).
It blink 1 real long, then fast 12 times. I had found a link to a chart in another thread on this but there was NO code for 12..?

Is that bad? Am I reading iot wrong?
Any Ideas?
Old 12-05-05, 01:19 AM   #9 (permalink)

Found it:
For Code 12, I had that, and it was the coolant temp sensor, located right below the intake, under the distributor (I think) It will hesitate shifting gears when I drive it first thing in the morning, then all is well after 5-10 min. ~ redlegend
Old 12-05-05, 02:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

These tranny's are good but delicate, and the there are only 3 differences from the 90 to 89, housing with sensors, computer and the 90 doesn't have a shaft assembly for the sensor. All other internals are the same. Change the fluid every other oil change and it last a long time.
john bigonion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-06, 06:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarettcancerman
mine will slip from 2nd to 3rd but only if i im at full throttle, its not really a slip since the rpms dont go crazy, they just stop and chill for a second, its more of a hesitation, i could be wrong though, at that high of a rpm a slip isnt gona be able to rev up that much lol
This is what mine is doing now. Last week Tue, Jan 17th the lower ball joint on the driver side came appart and the car hit the ground hard. put it back together and it made a grinding noise when I put it in gear then two days later it did not make this noise and it seemed to shift fine, now this. Mine is doing the same as yours Cigarettcancerman. ????How is this corrected?????

Last edited by 1genacura; 01-27-06 at 04:14 PM.
1genacura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-06, 09:58 PM   #12 (permalink)

My ack does the same thing. When you accelerate and it shifts from 2nd to 3rd it seems as though it slips. The rpms increase and then it shifts. once its in 3rd its fine.
real mckoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-06, 10:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
Spiral descent

Car 1: 1994 GS 6-speed
Car 2: 1996 A6

iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via MSN to telafonic Send a message via Yahoo to telafonic Send a message via Skype™ to telafonic
Quote:
Originally Posted by real mckoy
My ack does the same thing. When you accelerate and it shifts from 2nd to 3rd it seems as though it slips. The rpms increase and then it shifts. once its in 3rd its fine.
My '87 auto did this too. We don't have external solenoids or a TCU, so this problem is most likely mechanical, and to fix it, would probably require a rebuild.
Changing the fluid often with Honda ATF still helps though.
Old 02-03-06, 12:44 AM   #14 (permalink)

Mine was doing this recently. I tried cleaning the solenoids, changing the fluid, etc.. Nothign helped. About a month later it died.

Just changed it out with a rebuilt one though. (:
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-06, 05:01 AM   #15 (permalink)

does the 89 4dr have a tcu?
Shai_Hulud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > First Generation Legend (1986-1990)