Car history issues - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > First Generation Legend (1986-1990)

First Generation Legend (1986-1990) Discuss the 1st Generation Honda/Acura Legend (US 8

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-08, 12:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 1989 Sedan L. and 1990 Sedan LS
Car 2: 1991 Sedan L

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Car history issues

Okay ..so my son was looking for a mid-90's Honda product ...maybe a Civic, maybe an Integra, maybe a Legend G1 coupe. We planned on looking out-of-province, so we figured a car-fax account would be helpful ( a LOT of junk out there!). So, I signed up for the $35 for 30 days, unlimited VIN search deal ...and we started looking at cars. Most reports came up as "clean" ...very few showed any mileage history. Then I got scared. We found a car in-province, and it came up clean on car-fax. Then a friend suggested we try our province's free VIN search service for "local" cars. We ran the VIN and it showed a theft recovery ($3500 damage claim), an accident ($1800 damage claim), and that the car had been written off as a total loss vehicle ..not once, but TWICE!! Yet, the car-fax service said it had a clean title. All provinces in Canada are now part of a national car info database ...so this information is not kept secret.

I sent an email to car-fax, explaining my dilemma: I had purchased their service, relying on it to give me accurate info on cars I was looking at. And now, I'm having doubts about the "quality" of the service I'm paying for. The response I got was unexpected: ...they essentially said: "Well, we can't know everything about every car. We depend on our sources to give us accurate data." I responded by saying: "I paid for your service in good faith, thinking I would get accurate data ...and now I'm having serious doubts."

They are going to refund my $35.

Bottomline: don't depend on these "services" to provide accurate info on a used car's history. Do as much personal "sleuthing" as possible.
1990 Cobalt Blue Pearl Sedan LS w/JSP-92104 spoiler, Bose Stereo w/single cd player, plus FM Honda 6-disc changer in glove box. Automatic, 268,000 kms, original drivetrain, stock size tires. 1989 Ebony Black Metallic Sedan L Auto. Integra AM-FM cassette head unit, and Honda 6-disc changer in glove box. Stock size tires. Original engine threw a connecting rod mid-Feb, 2007 at 380,000 kms. JDM swap-out July 1, 2008. Car still off the road pending serious body work on rear quarter panels.
digger89L is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-08, 04:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
hm very interesting, thanks.
the blue legend in your pic looks awesome
dylano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-08, 05:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
TopGear Fanatic

Car 1: 1990 KA4 5M Xi Exclusive

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
I agree, CarFax is far from an end-all, be-all source of car history accuracy. It is only as accurate as the information each dealership submits. You get a shady dealer that wants to move this messed up car that just came in quickly, he'll repair it so you can't tell it has a bent frame, and try to get it sold as soon as he can. There's no way he'll list it with CarFax as having any problems whatsoever, as that would hinder a sale. Good job checking with other sources also!

Forward Motion
Project 130R
NuclearSymphony is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-08, 11:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
because i can.

Car 1: '87L, 5 speed Sedan
Car 2: '71 Datsun PL521
Car 3: '03 Infiniti I35

iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sam o nela
Doesnt carfax offer a "buy back" guarantee? If you buy a car that they say is okay, then you uncover evidence later to the contrary, they will buy the car from you?
Old 08-04-08, 01:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car 1: 94 Legend GS

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Carfax is good to get a general picture of where the car has been, but the rest of the stuff on there is so ambiguous. I have never relied much on their service for anything other than that. I would try to buy a car directly from the first or second owner & not rely on Carfax for the history.

Their buyback guarantee, from what I can recall, has some major catches to it. I think they will only pay wholesale or a certain percentage over wholesale value for the car.

1994 GS Sdn. (2002-present)
1988 L Coupe (2007-2010)
1989 L Coupe (1999-2002)
colinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-08, 11:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Yeah, a buddy of mine just picked up an 05 VP Civic Coupe, - after he bought it... You can tell with a close eye that it was in a pretty serious accident, turns out that it has a flood damage record. Now he has had problems with the altenator, and now the starter. Seems like the electrical would be what went due to the flood.
Maximized4Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > First Generation Legend (1986-1990)