engine check light - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > First Generation Legend (1986-1990)

First Generation Legend (1986-1990) Discuss the 1st Generation Honda/Acura Legend (US 8

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-05, 03:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 1988 Honda Legend TURBO

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
engine check light

hi, im new to this forum, im from new zealand and purchaced a 1988 honda legend turbo just yesterday. it was cheap as chips and is in great condition! but... there are a few issues. (only 1 for this post ) the engine check light has always been on, previos owner didnt know why. i have the list of ECU fault codes, but the LED inside the computer doesnt seem to flash, at all...?? ive checked while is running, while its not running and the key in the 'on' position.
also check engine light ONLY comes on about 30-60 seconds after driving, not as soon as car starts.

thanks in advance
psone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-05, 03:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car 1: 1989 & 1990 LS COUPES, 1991 RED CHEVY S-10 BLAZER SPORT

We're ALL jealous that you have a turbo !!!!!!!!! You're one of a few...and the word " few " may be too many !

'90 Granada Black Pearl LS Coupe, 302K miles
'89 Geneva Green Pearl LS Coupe, 142K miles

My 1989 & 1990 Legend LS Coupes
ND1980LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-05, 04:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car 1: Granada Black '90 Acura Legend L Sedan (Sold) Car 2: Grey '87 5-speed Legend L Coupe.
Car 3: Maroon '86 Accord

Send a message via AIM to tedhodges Send a message via Yahoo to tedhodges
Check Engine Light + Code 0 (Check Engine Light + No Code) = Bad ECU (Electronic Control Unit, Engine Control Unit). Good luck finding one for a Turbo C20A engine.

Old 12-12-05, 06:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car 1: JDM 89 Legend sedan, G1 Integra, 92 Lude, Porsche 911 Carrera

Send a message via MSN to Jarryd
Man you got a turbo... i wish i had one. and yeah its a bad ecu. it might set you back a bit but its well worth it trust me. Welcome to the forum!
80W Kicker 4' Front
Pioneer 4x60w Headunit
real expencive new power antenna that works now
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...d89/Legend.jpg
Jarryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-05, 08:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarryd
Man you got a turbo... i wish i had one. and yeah its a bad ecu. it might set you back a bit but its well worth it trust me. Welcome to the forum!
wow thanks for the quick replys !! hmmm bad ecu, dam. well i'll definitly get a replacement as soon as possible. the first 30seconds of driving are great!! the turbo kicks in at approx 2500rpm, once the check engine light is on its more like 3500+. is driving it with a bad ecu bad for the engine. and should i avoid boosting while the ecu is not functioning proply?

i got it as a daily cruiser/SQ audio car. i have some nice gear to go in it very shortly.

my initial plan for this car, preformace wise is to hit 200HP. this will hopefully be achieved by minor intake and exhaust mods.
i also plan on reducing ride height.

future plans... haven't decided yot

ill post some pics tomorrow (its midnight now)

Last edited by psone; 12-12-05 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-12-05, 10:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car 1: 1990 legend Ls

well the ecu is on back up mode.
so yes and no.
it's not llike your driving your car without any oil...it's just the engine is probably running very rich or timing is way off....

you have to take pics of the legend....
Old 12-12-05, 10:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

Car 1: JDM 89 Legend sedan, G1 Integra, 92 Lude, Porsche 911 Carrera

Send a message via MSN to Jarryd
Quote:
Originally Posted by psone
wow thanks for the quick replys !! hmmm bad ecu, dam. well i'll definitly get a replacement as soon as possible. the first 30seconds of driving are great!! the turbo kicks in at approx 2500rpm, once the check engine light is on its more like 3500+. is driving it with a bad ecu bad for the engine. and should i avoid boosting while the ecu is not functioning proply?

i got it as a daily cruiser/SQ audio car. i have some nice gear to go in it very shortly.

my initial plan for this car, preformace wise is to hit 200HP. this will hopefully be achieved by minor intake and exhaust mods.
i also plan on reducing ride height.

future plans... haven't decided yot

ill post some pics tomorrow (its midnight now)

man i cant wait for them pictures. i see a turbo in the shoppingcenter car park every week so i try my hardest to park my legned neer his. i want to offer this guy some cash so i can be one of the few like you to have the joy of owing one
80W Kicker 4' Front
Pioneer 4x60w Headunit
real expencive new power antenna that works now
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...d89/Legend.jpg
Jarryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-05, 11:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarryd
man i cant wait for them pictures. i see a turbo in the shoppingcenter car park every week so i try my hardest to park my legned neer his. i want to offer this guy some cash so i can be one of the few like you to have the joy of owing one
yeh il get some nice hi res shots in its current form, which is 'relitivly tidy' i have plans for this car, so no doubt i will keep updating pics with my progress.
the turbo model is a very fun and suprisingly quick car to drive. im not sure how much boost they run standard or if they can safely be wound up, anyone have any info?
i have own a 1990 subaru rs legacy, which was quick, but i can proudly say the legend puts a bigger smile on my face. the rs would have more potiencial though i would think.
Old 12-12-05, 12:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
***ned

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
ok, I haqve to ask one thing. Have you ever checked the ECU lights with the car running and the Check Engine light on. It may be a code that doesn't get stored in the computer's memory.

This is what I had to do to get the codes off my computer:

Start the car
Drive it till the light came on
Pulled over leaving the car running
looked at the ECU

Basically the car has to be runnning with the indicator on for the computer to spit a code. I have yet to hear of a bad ECU, but thier is always a first!

Later!
Lenny
1_Hot_Legend_LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-05, 01:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Space Cadet

Car 1: 87 Coupe "Stick" no pussy power automatic here

Send a message via AIM to 88_acro
welcome to the forum and please stay unlike other turbo members and take some pics cant wait and good luck!

Attention: This post may contain words that are spelled incorrectly or may contain bad grammar. No need to point out the obvious and make a post about it.
88_acro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-05, 03:29 AM   #11 (permalink)

well the dud computer wasnt the problem, (remembering im new to the homda legend) i was actuallt looking at the fault light on the AUTO computer, not the ecu... i found this out ofcourse AFTER i had got my replacement ecu (so anyone wanting a turbo C20A computer, let me know)

anyway...its showing code 6, engine coolant temprature sensor, where is that??? the sensor in the termostat housing seems to control the temp gauge on the dash, is it the sensor in the raidator or is there another one somewhere on the engine itself??
Old 12-14-05, 04:20 AM   #12 (permalink)
Mabuhay...

Car 1: '89 Sedan w/Auto (base model)

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by psone
coolant temprature sensor, where is that???
Coolant temp. (TW) sensor is mounted on the top/right side of the water passage, in which the thermostat housing bolt on, just below the throttle body.
pnoye2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-05, 12:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
***ned

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
And put that computer in the OEM section. Someone here in the states will buy it!
1_Hot_Legend_LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > First Generation Legend (1986-1990)