Engine Noise (Videos Included) - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > First Generation Legend (1986-1990)

First Generation Legend (1986-1990) Discuss the 1st Generation Honda/Acura Legend (US 8

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-10, 06:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 1990 Acura Legend
Car 2: 2001 Honda Civic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Engine Noise (Videos Included)

Hi guys, i've been bugging everyone about my engine noise. not the fast clicking one that i believe is the ALB, this is the one coming from my Timing Belt Area. all my friend mechanics i've asked just tell me that it's big trouble and to sell the car. i don't want to though. take a look and tell me what you think. like is said before though as it warms up and drops in oil PSI it gets quieter. all help is greatly appreciated guys. thanks!

here is an update of my engine noise, This is after 210 miles on 10w40 with MMO, if you guys can try compare the 2 and post any other suggestions besides a engine swap, rebuild etc. thanks! they still sound similar but in real life it is a night and day difference! thanks!

thanks guys! hope i can get this fixed. don't know if it's lifters or what.

Last edited by black28; 06-19-10 at 06:22 AM.
black28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-10, 04:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car 1: 94 acura legend ls

iTrader Score: 8 reviews
if it's coming from the timing belt cover I'd say the tensioner is bad. I hope you aren't driving like that cause once it fails that means BENT valves!!!
Old 06-08-10, 05:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
because i can.

Car 1: '87L, 5 speed Sedan
Car 2: '71 Datsun PL521
Car 3: '03 Infiniti I35

iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sam o nela
Could be a failing water pump too...either way you don't want either of those guys to fail miles away from home! lol..

Old 06-08-10, 06:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

it can't be those, though. like i posted before i got the car at 149,367 broken water pump. changed pump, Timing Belt and Tensioner and am only at 150,121 miles now. you think it could be a faulty tensioner or pump? do you guys suggest changing all 3 again? it is my daily driver. i use it to commute to work and home. it had that noise before with the broken pump when i first got it.
Old 06-08-10, 07:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
Bullseye Blaster 2 Champion, Bean Hunter Champion, Clover Crunch Champion, Fight Man Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Frantic Killer Champion, Froggster Champion

Car 1: 1988 Acura Legend Sedan

Send a message via AIM to l4zy415 Send a message via MSN to l4zy415
Hmm, try removing the A/C compressor belt and see if it stops making that noise.

17" DRAG DR-11 Rims/\Matador Red Paint/\Custom CAI/\LED Bright White Dash Lights/\Kenwood KDC-X590 Excelon Mp3 Deck/\Ford Taurus Coin/Cup Holder/\2 12" Kickers/\1800 Watt Kenwood Mono Amp/\Power Acoustic Capacitor/\Clear Rear Turn Signal/\Reverse Glow Gauges/\Swapped 88' Headlights to 89'-90'/\Swapped 88' seats to 89'/\JDM Rear Chrome Trim/\JDM Clear Corner/\JDM Power Folding-Heated Mirrors/\Stromung Muffler
l4zy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-10, 08:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

gorgot to add what I have tried....

i've ran the car without PS, AC, ALT belts for a few minutes to see, still had noise. I used 5w-30 with lucas, went quiet at running temp. tried 10w-40 synth blend was louder. added MMO went quiet at running temp with low oil PSI. that's why I was thinking if I used lighter oil it'd be quieter. any other suggestions?
Old 06-08-10, 08:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

If the noise stops when using lighter oil your oil pump is failing. I know one thing for sure , low oil pressure is like cancer, that engine is dieing if you don't get this under control ASAP!
Old 06-08-10, 09:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

I installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge and when I was running 5w30 with lucas when I start the car for about the first 10 minutes it was at about 60 psi, then when running warm it was at 15-20. with the 10w-40 and MMO at start its about 60 for ten minutes then at running temp it was about 10-15 and running quiet. I think my oil psi is a little below average . that's why I was thinking of running thinner oil to keep the engine quieter. if it runs quiet on low pressure and thinner oil i'm guessing it must have some internal wear, any other suggestions to fixing the noise? if running thinner oil isn't a good idea what else do you guys think I should do?
Old 06-08-10, 09:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

If it was my car I'd get a low mileage engine.
Old 06-08-10, 09:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

that is my future plan. but for the next 2 years I won't have the money, the time, or the place. I rent an aprtment and don't think I can do the engine swap in my parking stall, although I did my timing belt and other things. its too big of a job for my stall. plus shipping for the engine would be outrageous right now.
Old 06-08-10, 09:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

by a local engine, if you keep driving yours like that b prepared to be stranded.
Old 06-08-10, 10:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

super hard to find locally bro, I live in Hawaii. all the G1 legends here are being sold with the whole car with jus about as much mileage as mine, junk yards have junk engines. the reason ima be busy is ima be in school which is 7am-2pm mon-fri for my A&P license and I also work full time to pay dem bills. I guess I could just start savin up and try to order my engine and swap it during my school breaks, like xmas or summer or whatever. its pricey and sounds crazy to do this.. not many would go through the trouble but I think its worth it. nothing like a G1 legend. they're becoming harder and harder to find now days, if it'll last me til I fiish school i'll definitely ship it to the mainland when I plan to move out there and do my swap there. but until then is there anything else I could do that may avoid being stranded and doing the swap so soon?
Old 06-08-10, 10:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
Bullseye Blaster 2 Champion, Bean Hunter Champion, Clover Crunch Champion, Fight Man Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Frantic Killer Champion, Froggster Champion

Car 1: 1988 Acura Legend Sedan

Send a message via AIM to l4zy415 Send a message via MSN to l4zy415
Hmm, jack up the passenger side, remove the wheel and remove the splash guard that covers the crank pulley. I think you'll get a better sound in that are than trying to hear it from the top.

17" DRAG DR-11 Rims/\Matador Red Paint/\Custom CAI/\LED Bright White Dash Lights/\Kenwood KDC-X590 Excelon Mp3 Deck/\Ford Taurus Coin/Cup Holder/\2 12" Kickers/\1800 Watt Kenwood Mono Amp/\Power Acoustic Capacitor/\Clear Rear Turn Signal/\Reverse Glow Gauges/\Swapped 88' Headlights to 89'-90'/\Swapped 88' seats to 89'/\JDM Rear Chrome Trim/\JDM Clear Corner/\JDM Power Folding-Heated Mirrors/\Stromung Muffler
l4zy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-10, 10:34 PM   #14 (permalink)

i've also done that. it was still pretty hard to find the exact spot. I just know for sure its in the timing belt area, you think it could be the crank pulley not on good? I torqued it to 117 ft lbs. or possibly the crank shaft or something?
Old 06-09-10, 12:22 AM   #15 (permalink)

To be honest you need to take your car to a mechanic, all this guessing is doing you no good. I/ we would love to help but without physiclly observing the car it's all speculation.

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > First Generation Legend (1986-1990)