Lifter noise fixed? - Page 2 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > First Generation Legend (1986-1990)

First Generation Legend (1986-1990) Discuss the 1st Generation Honda/Acura Legend (US 8

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-08, 12:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
because i can.

Car 1: '87L, 5 speed Sedan
Car 2: '71 Datsun PL521
Car 3: '03 Infiniti I35

iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sam o nela
Um....every 3000km = about 1800 miles?

Also, there was somebody on here that completely rebuilt all of his lifters with new parts....ticking solved

I think being proactive is the only true way....keeping the lash in check per the maintenance schedule, and using Auto-Rx on a regular maintenance basis when the engine is still young.

Old 08-08-08, 03:07 PM   #17 (permalink)
Mo*or Mo**h

Car 1: 1987 Legend LS Coupe

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I'd tend to disagree that it can't be fixed. Especially since we now know there's tappets involved. (well, at least I just learned that). Those are known to freeze up with gunk and not function properly. Clean or new tappets would surely solve most problems there. If a rocker is causing tap, it should be replaced, and I doubt a cam could ever tap like that, it's a constant contact device.
Old 08-08-08, 03:11 PM   #18 (permalink)
Mo*or Mo**h

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureX 2001 View Post
Some pictures would be really nice
LOL, sure they would.
I doubt anyone's going to re-do the job just to take photos, however.

Maybe the next will think ahead and take photos as they work.

Old 08-08-08, 03:49 PM   #19 (permalink)
Mo*or Mo**h

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmshoot View Post
anyone know if the g2 type II motor has tappets?
Don't know, but would tend to think they might since the G1 does.

You'd probably get a better reply in the G2 section, however.
Old 08-08-08, 10:30 PM   #20 (permalink)
LegeNd-SX car2n's dream

Car 1: 1988 acura legend
Car 2: Legend+NSX=LegeNd-Sx
Car 3: Comptech SC

i am not an expert on posting instructions but i hope this will help some one like it did for me:

1.Need to have these items to start this project.
A)Tappets removed from your engine heads
B)Mineral spirits solvent
C)Container
D)Clean rag
E)Latex or some type of gloves (optional)

2.Drain any oil from tappets don't forget to use gloves

3.In the container pour some mineral spirits about a quart for 12 tappets (one head) i only show 5 for the pic then just let them soak for some time i overnight the soak on mine.

4.After soaking the tappets clean each tappet in the container by pressing in and out and at the same time observe for spring action when you press down the "ball" shape part the tappet should go in very easy then realese it and the tappet should come back to it's normal position in a spring motion if you find any problem with this function need to re-soak the tappets with these problems, if after the second cleaning the tappets still not operating properly the you need to replaced them.

5.Last just clean and dry tappets then recharge with oil (see manual on how to recharge with oil).

Hope this helps...

In memory of my son Isai "car2n"

Last edited by car2n; 10-08-09 at 04:14 AM.
car2n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-08, 02:37 PM   #21 (permalink)

Wink

I will test the theory of 3k mile oil changes.
I have 33k miles on my 1990 with no ticking. I change my oil ~3k miles and will do so in the future. We'll see if the lifter noise never appears.

On the cleaning issue, there is a guy that I know in Switzerland who owns a collection of very rare old cars such as GTB4 Daytona, 300 SL gullwing, and the like. He does all of the work himself on all of his cars.
I talked to him about lifter ticking issues. His advice was to drain the oil, put ~2 quarts of diesel gas into the crank case and run the engine for no more than 30 seconds. Then drain the case and replace the filter and oil.
legendvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-08, 09:41 PM   #22 (permalink)

Car 1: 1989 Melbourne Blue Honda Legend
Car 2: 1989 Honda Legend
Car 3: 1989 Turbo Legend

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via MSN to 89HondaLegend
Quote:
Originally Posted by legendvr View Post
I will test the theory of 3k mile oil changes.
I have 33k miles on my 1990 with no ticking. I change my oil ~3k miles and will do so in the future. We'll see if the lifter noise never appears.

On the cleaning issue, there is a guy that I know in Switzerland who owns a collection of very rare old cars such as GTB4 Daytona, 300 SL gullwing, and the like. He does all of the work himself on all of his cars.
I talked to him about lifter ticking issues. His advice was to drain the oil, put ~2 quarts of diesel gas into the crank case and run the engine for no more than 30 seconds. Then drain the case and replace the filter and oil.
Diesel in the crankcase I am convinced would cure sticky lifters, though, I wouldn't run just straight diesel, more like a 60/40 mix of diesel and oil repsectively. I have wanted to test this theory for a while but I am not keen to do it on my Legend as I need it to get to work
My only concern is that although diesel is very slippery it could cause some damage to the cam and crankshaft by not having that thick oil coating on them. (Metal to metal contact )

Love to Love the Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarettcancerman
a legend is a good car but its not imortal when exposed to some one who puts blue windshield wipers and a racing stripe on it.
1989 Honda Legend Melbourne Blue - 203 000 Miles
1991 Honda Legend Maroon - 230 000 Miles

Pictures of My Legend
89HondaLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-08, 03:11 AM   #23 (permalink)
LegeNd-SX car2n's dream

Thumbs down

i do not think that will be good idea better to use engine detergent or some type of engine treatment...

Old 08-16-08, 08:05 PM   #24 (permalink)
Mo*or Mo**h

Here's a diagram in the manual (1987 Coupe, page 6-20) of a Section through the valve train. It's not as I was imagining, but clearly shows how this becomes a problem of tick noise.

The Tappets are situated as the backup bearing point of the cam motion, such that each press of a rocker arm by the cam lobe distributes that load as a span between the valve stem/push rod (on exhaust valves) and the Tappet. Not only does this ease the loading of the mechanism to half the span, but the Tappet plugger motion dampens the load to smooth it out considerably. When the Tappet plunger doesn't move, TICK!

Clear as mud, right?
IAC, clean, well functioning Tappets will very likely eliminate any ticking.
The hard part is clogged Tappet plungers are hard to clean with simple additives. So, Car2n's external cleaning solution is the way to go here.

To do so, however, requires removal of the cam and both intake rocker arms and upper exhaust rocker arms to gain access to the Tappets below.
Attached Thumbnails
Lifter noise fixed?-valve_train_section.jpg  
Old 08-20-08, 03:52 PM   #25 (permalink)

Just wanted to say thanks for the illustarative and informative pics and story on the ticking hydraulic lifter (tappet) issue. This has been discussed at length for a long time, but this really laid it all out well. As they say, a picture is worth a 1000 words.

I have 2 questions...

The lifters that were clogged and sticky, were they the exhaust or intake tappets only, or a mix of both?

And, can you tell by looking at the hydraulic lifter once it has been removed, that it is probably a sticky one, like varnish deposits, gummed up externally, or an obviously clogged oil port?
DallasLedge89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-08, 04:08 PM   #26 (permalink)
Mr. X (aka #5)
Monster Memory Champion, Border 2 Champion, Daphnes Fight For Fashion Champion, Fireman :: Incoming Storm Champion, Gas Attack! Champion, Mini Putt 2 Champion, Heineken! Champion, Odd World Champion, The Independent Compact Catch Champion, James Bomb Champion, Jet Pakker Champion, Juego Champion, Klumpy Champion, Lego Basketball Challenge Champion, Lego Snowboard Challenge Champion, Lizzie McGuire Turbo Racer Champion

Car 1: 1997 BMW 528i
Car 2: 1994 Accord Sedan EX
Car 3: 1987 Legend Coupe

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to IkeRay Send a message via MSN to IkeRay Send a message via Yahoo to IkeRay
does anyone know if the tappets could be purchased from a dealer, or would you have to get them from another engine?
IkeRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-08, 04:24 PM   #27 (permalink)

Car 1: 1989 Sedan L. and 1990 Sedan LS
Car 2: 1991 Sedan L

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by IkeRay View Post
does anyone know if the tappets could be purchased from a dealer, or would you have to get them from another engine?
The hydraulic lifters (tappets in the diagram) are available from dealers (part #14540-PL2-000 ). Delray Acura sells them for $37 each (you'll need 12).
Interestingly enough, Majestic Honda has the same part listed for a 96 Accord V-6 ...using the exact same diagram as for the Acura engine (it is the same, after all) ...but they want $53 each for the lifters!!

Don't know of any after-market sources for something like this, but there likely is one.

My 90LS has "the tick" ...I tried the transmission fluid trick before my last oil change (drained off a litre of dirty oil, and added a litre of DEXRON II then went for a 20 minute highway drive). It has quieten down a bit, but not a whole lot.
1990 Cobalt Blue Pearl Sedan LS w/JSP-92104 spoiler, Bose Stereo w/single cd player, plus FM Honda 6-disc changer in glove box. Automatic, 268,000 kms, original drivetrain, stock size tires. 1989 Ebony Black Metallic Sedan L Auto. Integra AM-FM cassette head unit, and Honda 6-disc changer in glove box. Stock size tires. Original engine threw a connecting rod mid-Feb, 2007 at 380,000 kms. JDM swap-out July 1, 2008. Car still off the road pending serious body work on rear quarter panels.
digger89L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-08, 08:23 PM   #28 (permalink)

Car 1: 89 Legend Convertible
Car 2: 93 Legend LS 6-Speed
Car 3: 89 Parts Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmshoot View Post
anyone know if the g2 type II motor has tappets?
The answer is YES.
legend89chopped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-08, 01:22 AM   #29 (permalink)
LegeNd-SX car2n's dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasLedge89 View Post
Just wanted to say thanks for the illustarative and informative pics and story on the ticking hydraulic lifter (tappet) issue. This has been discussed at length for a long time, but this really laid it all out well. As they say, a picture is worth a 1000 words.

I have 2 questions...

The lifters that were clogged and sticky, were they the exhaust or intake tappets only, or a mix of both?

And, can you tell by looking at the hydraulic lifter once it has been removed, that it is probably a sticky one, like varnish deposits, gummed up externally, or an obviously clogged oil port?
They were from both but i had to replace 3 of them but more than that were sticky and got cleaned.

No there is no way to tell nor when dirty or cleaned the only way i guess once you know is a bad tappet just ake it apart to see the inside of it and find out what kind of "shit" is cuased the problem...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > First Generation Legend (1986-1990)