More problems: Shaking front end, clutch disengagement, etc. etc. - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > First Generation Legend (1986-1990)

First Generation Legend (1986-1990) Discuss the 1st Generation Honda/Acura Legend (US 8

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-10, 07:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 89 Legend LS 5spd Sold
Car 2: 89 LX 5.0 PartingOut
Car 3: 87 Mtsu Starion Trbo

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
More problems: Shaking front end, clutch disengagement, etc. etc.

The Car From Hell (my legend) continues to earn its title.

It's been shaking like crazy above 50 mph from the driver's side front end; I've already eliminated to usual suspects (hub bearings are good I think, and I had the wheel balanced) and I'm going to pull the wheel off and make sure no ball joints are excessively loose. Beyond that, I don't know where to look, and any suggestions would be appreciated.

An just the other day, to my utter joy, yet another problem surfaced: it started grinding like crazy when shifting into reverse, and is now harder to put into gear. From the time that I got this bucket there was a problem with the shifter (broken bushing I think) that caused it to have nearly as much side to side play in gear as it normally would have in neutral. However, I'm not convinced that that caused the problems I now have, which I don't think are related to the clutch going bad either. So that just leaves the clutch cylinders and lines (the clutch pedal doesn't seem to come all the way back up anymore); anyone have problems with the clutch linkage in the past?

At this point I'm of a mind to let everything go until it passes smog, but I'd hate to let something fester that will just get worse with time, and the whole shaking front end thing scares the hell outta me considering how I drive this thing (I take out my life's misery on this car lol).
SetofAces is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-10, 10:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car 1: Kat - '95 KA8 T2 LS
Car 2: Jade - '95 KA7 T2 GS
Car 3: '87 KA3 LS - Donated

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
You might want to check your Axles for the wheels shaking. I think you already found your issue with the shifter. Good luck

Last edited by Old School; 04-20-10 at 08:20 PM.
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-10, 02:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
You might want to check your Axels' for the wheels shaking. I think you already found your issue with the shifter. Good luck
Why would the axles cause shaking in the front end? What do I look for? It seems plausible that the problem could lay with the axle, considering that I just changed the driver side axle. I do appreciate you getting back to me, as I didn't really know where to look at this point . . .

Old 04-20-10, 02:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
Bullseye Blaster 2 Champion, Bean Hunter Champion, Clover Crunch Champion, Fight Man Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Frantic Killer Champion, Froggster Champion

Car 1: 1988 Acura Legend Sedan

iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to l4zy415 Send a message via MSN to l4zy415
Does it vibrate when braking?

17" DRAG DR-11 Rims/\Matador Red Paint/\Custom CAI/\LED Bright White Dash Lights/\Kenwood KDC-X590 Excelon Mp3 Deck/\Ford Taurus Coin/Cup Holder/\2 12" Kickers/\1800 Watt Kenwood Mono Amp/\Power Acoustic Capacitor/\Clear Rear Turn Signal/\Reverse Glow Gauges/\Swapped 88' Headlights to 89'-90'/\Swapped 88' seats to 89'/\JDM Rear Chrome Trim/\JDM Clear Corner/\JDM Power Folding-Heated Mirrors/\Stromung Muffler
l4zy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-10, 04:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car 1: Kat - '95 KA8 T2 LS
Car 2: Jade - '95 KA7 T2 GS
Car 3: '87 KA3 LS - Donated

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Here are some qoutes from previous owner with similiar issue like yours:

"Axles.

The key symptom in the discussion is that when you let off the accelerator or put the car in neutral, the vibration goes away (or in some cases, simply subsides... depending how bad your axles are).

The fact that you're experiencing this at high speeds (generally around 60mph+ sometimes disappearing at even high speeds still) and when generally only when accelerating strengthens the case for axles: really what's happen is the inner CV joint on one or both axles has failed or is on it's way out and the easy solution is to replace the entire axle.

Sometimes you'll notice by looking under the car either a torn axle boot (generally closer to the middle of the car given these symptoms) and likely grease everywhere if the boot is torn but sometimes the boot will look fine and the damage is internal. Internal damage without visible damage to the CV boots is why dealers and mechanics frequently tell you the axles are fine and continue to throw other parts at the problem but don't be fooled... I've had more then 1 CV joint fail without visible damage to the CV boot."

"CV Axles are a critical component in the Legend drivetrain. Too bad for me it took 6 years to come to this conclusion. Our cars are super sensitive to to the slightest axle vib. I must have changed 12 of them over the years before I realized my car will not drive like a Legend unless it has high quality axles installed.
I recently experienced the same vib/thumping upon acceleration at highway speed. Since yhis type of vibe is caused by the inner CV joint it is almost impossible to tell which side is shaking. If both your axles are older I reccomend replacing both at the same time to ensure a smooth ride. I am currently using Napa axles in mine. This is a "new" axle, not rebuilt for around $110. They seem to be working out good.
Also I could not visably see any damage to the bad axle but when removed it was obvious that the inner joint was trashed. Excessive play at the inner knuckle."

"Ya I have a 92 legend and I had a vibration that slowly started on acceleration at the same speed as yours and got worse about a couple weeks later it would do it at lower speeds and it only did it after i have been driving for a while but when it did start it felt like I had a square tire so I did some thinking and some simple tests and replaced my CV halfshaft axle and the vibration went away completely and my axle didn't click around corners or give any sign that it was going bad, So I think I would give that a try If I was you."

"I started this thread over a year ago. It's fixed now. It was the axles."

These are just a few comments - Here is the full thread if you want to read it...

https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...bration-89595/

Last edited by Old School; 04-20-10 at 08:22 PM.
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-10, 11:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
Here are some qoutes from previous owner with similiar issue like yours:

"Axles.

The key symptom in the discussion is that when you let off the accelerator or put the car in neutral, the vibration goes away (or in some cases, simply subsides... depending how bad your axles are).

The fact that you're experiencing this at high speeds (generally around 60mph+ sometimes disappearing at even high speeds still) and when generally only when accelerating strengthens the case for axles: really what's happen is the inner CV joint on one or both axles has failed or is on it's way out and the easy solution is to replace the entire axle.

Sometimes you'll notice by looking under the car either a torn axle boot (generally closer to the middle of the car given these symptoms) and likely grease everywhere if the boot is torn but sometimes the boot will look fine and the damage is internal. Internal damage without visible damage to the CV boots is why dealers and mechanics frequently tell you the axles are fine and continue to throw other parts at the problem but don't be fooled... I've had more then 1 CV joint fail without visible damage to the CV boot."

"CV Axles are a critical component in the Legend drivetrain. Too bad for me it took 6 years to come to this conclusion. Our cars are super sensitive to to the slightest axle vib. I must have changed 12 of them over the years before I realized my car will not drive like a Legend unless it has high quality axles installed.
I recently experienced the same vib/thumping upon acceleration at highway speed. Since yhis type of vibe is caused by the inner CV joint it is almost impossible to tell which side is shaking. If both your axles are older I reccomend replacing both at the same time to ensure a smooth ride. I am currently using Napa axles in mine. This is a "new" axle, not rebuilt for around $110. They seem to be working out good.
Also I could not visably see any damage to the bad axle but when removed it was obvious that the inner joint was trashed. Excessive play at the inner knuckle."

"Ya I have a 92 legend and I had a vibration that slowly started on acceleration at the same speed as yours and got worse about a couple weeks later it would do it at lower speeds and it only did it after i have been driving for a while but when it did start it felt like I had a square tire so I did some thinking and some simple tests and replaced my CV halfshaft axle and the vibration went away completely and my axle didn't click around corners or give any sign that it was going bad, So I think I would give that a try If I was you."

"I started this thread over a year ago. It's fixed now. It was the axles."

These are just a few comments - Here is the full thread if you want to read it...

https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...bration-89595/
Hmm . . . I inspected the pass. side axle when I replaced the driver side axle
(with a cheap rebuilt one from CSK -- wouldn't be the first time I've heard of problems with their axles if it's to blame) but saw no damage. If I get the sucker to pass smog, and can't determine that the problem is anything else, then I'll get the CSK to give me another axle . . . and if that doesn't work I guess I'll have to pull the other one. It's just that money is very tight, and I just hate to throw any more money into this bucket . . .
Old 04-23-10, 01:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
because i can.

Car 1: '87L, 5 speed Sedan
Car 2: '71 Datsun PL521
Car 3: '03 Infiniti I35

iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sam o nela
Could also be a tire itself...
Old 04-28-10, 05:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam o nela View Post
Could also be a tire itself...
Hehehahahahaha

I've spent so much time replacing components on the driver side that I hadn't really even payed attention to the passenger side. Yesterday, however, someone pointed out the passenger side tire . . . which I'm amazed hadn't already popped, as the belts were completely exposed and frayed throughout half the tire, which was contorted out of shape, causing all (or most . . . remains to be seen) of the vibration in the front end.

On to the next problem . . . and I've got plenty to keep me busy for a while . . .
Old 04-30-10, 12:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
because i can.

Car 1: '87L, 5 speed Sedan
Car 2: '71 Datsun PL521
Car 3: '03 Infiniti I35

iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sam o nela
Well what do you know...I contributed something useful here...

My sincerest of apologies it won't happen again...

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > First Generation Legend (1986-1990)