Mouse in the house ... - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > First Generation Legend (1986-1990)

First Generation Legend (1986-1990) Discuss the 1st Generation Honda/Acura Legend (US 8

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-08, 01:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 1989 Sedan L. and 1990 Sedan LS
Car 2: 1991 Sedan L

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Mouse in the house ...

Okay ...here's a new one: I have a mouse in my car!! The four-legged kind. This is in my 90LS, which is use EVERY DAY ...it is kept outside, never inside a garage (where I might expect a mouse to move in). I was cleaning out the car last week, and noticed some shredded kleenex under the passenger seat ...along with some mouse crap. I set one of those common Victor brand mouse traps, baited with some peanut butter ...I caught the little bugger once by the tail ...and HE CHEWED HIS TAIL OFF!! ...and got away. I re-set that trap, and set another one, baited with cheese. He sprung that trap, but didn't leave any other body parts behind. I have no idea where he's hiding, and there is no other evidence of him being in the car. I'm worried that there may be more than one (there usually is ...). I have no idea how he got in the car ...and I don't want to poison him and have him stink up the place. Right now, I have three Victor traps set in the car. Any suggestions?? (serious ones, I mean ..)
1990 Cobalt Blue Pearl Sedan LS w/JSP-92104 spoiler, Bose Stereo w/single cd player, plus FM Honda 6-disc changer in glove box. Automatic, 268,000 kms, original drivetrain, stock size tires. 1989 Ebony Black Metallic Sedan L Auto. Integra AM-FM cassette head unit, and Honda 6-disc changer in glove box. Stock size tires. Original engine threw a connecting rod mid-Feb, 2007 at 380,000 kms. JDM swap-out July 1, 2008. Car still off the road pending serious body work on rear quarter panels.

Last edited by digger89L; 07-12-08 at 02:15 AM. Reason: spelling
digger89L is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-08, 02:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
because i can.

Car 1: '87L, 5 speed Sedan
Car 2: '71 Datsun PL521
Car 3: '03 Infiniti I35

iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sam o nela
Sticky pad?
Old 07-12-08, 04:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
buy a snake dont feed it for 3 weeks then let it loose in the car, and bam no more mouse/mice. Hell come buy my place well let both my snakes loose in the car lol.
jake-1327 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-08, 07:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

I hope you get a good laugh about this after you catch it. I would just say that if you're not scared of mice, start pulling the interior apart and catch it before it dies or has kids. If you are scared of mice, find someone else to give you a ride for a day and start putting traps ALL OVER your car. If the boys of "Jackass" can't cross a floor full of mouse traps, Mickey aint got a chance. good luck
Slow-N-Rustd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-08, 08:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

put one of those gas bombs in ur car lol. the ones you can buy at the store to use in ur house to kill rats and bugs nd crap.
legendfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-08, 10:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendfire View Post
put one of those gas bombs in ur car lol. the ones you can buy at the store to use in ur house to kill rats and bugs nd crap.
Bad idea. If he can't find the mouse house now, he'll have to when the dead mouse starts to rot.
paulo57509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-08, 10:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
use peanut butter....they prefer that to cheese 1000 to 1...
and catch it soon,...did 2K worth of repairs after field mice chewed through the fuel lines / air intakes on another car in had in a garage...and they love wiring...and the colored plastic surrounding them...
leave them alone and they will make you regret it...
good luck with that.
MountainLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-08, 12:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Old enough to be your Dad

Car 1: 1990 Legend LS 4D Auto

I was driving down the freeway in my Legend and saw a little critter on the passenger floormat, jumping up probably into the air ducts. I set up the traps in the garage (they get in) and caught his ass. Since then, I always have traps set in the garage. If you don't have a garage, try setting the mousetrap IN the car.

In my other vehicle, a Toyota truck, I had a problem years ago. A mouse had set up house in the heater fan and had its babies. Yes, I turned the fan on and heard the clunking. I didn't know what it was at the time, but I soon found out by the smell. I ended up cutting a hole through a plastic mesh screen and picked the remains out with needle-nose pliers. I've heard these vehicles make the best mouse traps.

Last edited by dj99wa; 07-12-08 at 12:52 PM.
dj99wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-08, 12:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Mr. X (aka #5)
Monster Memory Champion, Border 2 Champion, Daphnes Fight For Fashion Champion, Fireman :: Incoming Storm Champion, Gas Attack! Champion, Mini Putt 2 Champion, Heineken! Champion, Odd World Champion, The Independent Compact Catch Champion, James Bomb Champion, Jet Pakker Champion, Juego Champion, Klumpy Champion, Lego Basketball Challenge Champion, Lego Snowboard Challenge Champion, Lizzie McGuire Turbo Racer Champion

Car 1: 1997 BMW 528i
Car 2: 1994 Accord Sedan EX
Car 3: 1987 Legend Coupe

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to IkeRay Send a message via MSN to IkeRay Send a message via Yahoo to IkeRay
if theres a possibility, might want to lure the mouse out by parking in the garage one night and setting up traps in the garage. leave the car doors open all night. hopefully he is more interested in food than being in the car and leaves.

but him chewing his tail off to get out of a trap is wild!
IkeRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-08, 05:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car 1: 89 Legend Convertible
Car 2: 93 Legend LS 6-Speed
Car 3: 89 Parts Coupe

Neat trick....

Put some powdered dish washing detergent in a small tray or jar lid or something. The cheaper the detergent the better. The mouse eats it (don't ask me why, probably the salty taste) and goes to find some water. Hopefully, he finds the water outside of the car. As soon as Micky starts drinking some water, the detergent expands, and he bleeds internally, and usually dies right there next to where he found the water.

I've done this a couple times at the house, and they usually end up finding the toilet water. They die before they even get out of the bowl, and all I have to do is flush! RIP Micky, you little bastard!
legend89chopped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-08, 05:56 PM   #11 (permalink)

Car 1: 1989 Sedan L. and 1990 Sedan LS
Car 2: 1991 Sedan L

Thanks for all the comments, guys. Update: I set a third trap in the car last nite ...one of the VERY sensitive "cheese pedal" type that Victor makes. Baited it with sweet, sticky jam. This morning, I checked and the trap was sprung ...but no "Bob" (as I'm now calling him, as a result of the "bobbed-off" tail). He had actually gotten out of the trap and left a little bit of fur behind, underneath the so-called "kill bar". I left one door partially open today (car is on the driveway ...no garage here) and let the car idle with the heater turned on "high". If he's in the vent system, he got a real good blast. Don't know if he was persuaded to leave or not. I think I'll "pass" on the snake suggestion .. mostly because I don't want to be asking, next week, "how do I get rid of a well-fed snake in my car?". The "sticky-pad" mouse trap sounds like a viable idea ...and I think I might even spring for the $25 for one of those electronic traps. In the meantime, "Bob" is going to be offered a snack of powdered dishwasher detergent tonite.
digger89L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-08, 06:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

Car 1: 89 Legend Convertible
Car 2: 93 Legend LS 6-Speed
Car 3: 89 Parts Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger89L View Post
.. mostly because I don't want to be asking, next week, "how do I get rid of a well-fed snake in my car?"
legend89chopped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-08, 08:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Car 1: 95 Sherwood Sedan
Car 2: 94 Canterbury Sedan

iTrader Score: 36 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ymisoqt
You can try a live trap, they can't get out of those. Although it sounds like you have a pretty smart mouse on your hands!
ymisoqt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-08, 09:17 PM   #14 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via MSN to bandoni™
ok here is what you do. you'll need a metal bowl (pretty deep bowl) eat some popcorn and but some of the popcorn in the bowl. then fill the bowl with the popcorn about 1/4 of the way up with water(also add some cooking oil to get the water really greasy) put the bowl in the car overnight and you should have a nice wet probably drowned mouse.

the mouse will smell the popcorn and go into the bowl, where it will get wet and greasy, and not be able to escape from the bowl. so be sure the water is deep enough that it will get wet but not as deep so it can jump out. this used to work when i lived at my parents house. (they had a bad field mice problem)

sig by doubleglow the sigwhisperer
ƃuıʇsod ǝɹoɟǝq ɥɔɹɐǝs plnoɥs sɹǝsn ʍǝu

join the acura legend flickr group

visit my flickr page
bandoni™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-08, 12:09 AM   #15 (permalink)
Mr. X (aka #5)
Monster Memory Champion, Border 2 Champion, Daphnes Fight For Fashion Champion, Fireman :: Incoming Storm Champion, Gas Attack! Champion, Mini Putt 2 Champion, Heineken! Champion, Odd World Champion, The Independent Compact Catch Champion, James Bomb Champion, Jet Pakker Champion, Juego Champion, Klumpy Champion, Lego Basketball Challenge Champion, Lego Snowboard Challenge Champion, Lizzie McGuire Turbo Racer Champion

Car 1: 1997 BMW 528i
Car 2: 1994 Accord Sedan EX
Car 3: 1987 Legend Coupe

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to IkeRay Send a message via MSN to IkeRay Send a message via Yahoo to IkeRay
Quote:
Originally Posted by legend89chopped View Post
Neat trick....

Put some powdered dish washing detergent in a small tray or jar lid or something. The cheaper the detergent the better. The mouse eats it (don't ask me why, probably the salty taste) and goes to find some water. Hopefully, he finds the water outside of the car. As soon as Micky starts drinking some water, the detergent expands, and he bleeds internally, and usually dies right there next to where he found the water.

I've done this a couple times at the house, and they usually end up finding the toilet water. They die before they even get out of the bowl, and all I have to do is flush! RIP Micky, you little bastard!

but what if the mouse drinks from the drip pan for the a/c?
IkeRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > First Generation Legend (1986-1990)