SLICK50 oil in Legend, some experience? - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > First Generation Legend (1986-1990)

First Generation Legend (1986-1990) Discuss the 1st Generation Honda/Acura Legend (US 8

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-09, 09:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
[H]

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Question SLICK50 oil in Legend, some experience?

hi,

someone has proved this product?, in my country some mechanics says that is bad for the engine, oils filters and other problems, although some friends have
bought this and their engines run successfully ,better compression, less consumption fuel and oil

how is this product in a legend engine, is good for it?, some experience? is it recommendable?

regards

Last edited by [H]; 04-21-09 at 09:55 PM.
[H] is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-09, 09:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
Bullseye Blaster 2 Champion, Bean Hunter Champion, Clover Crunch Champion, Fight Man Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Frantic Killer Champion, Froggster Champion

Car 1: 1988 Acura Legend Sedan

iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to l4zy415 Send a message via MSN to l4zy415
Hmm, I never seen anyone use that type of oil. Hopefully someone that knows more about oil can chime in for you.

17" DRAG DR-11 Rims/\Matador Red Paint/\Custom CAI/\LED Bright White Dash Lights/\Kenwood KDC-X590 Excelon Mp3 Deck/\Ford Taurus Coin/Cup Holder/\2 12" Kickers/\1800 Watt Kenwood Mono Amp/\Power Acoustic Capacitor/\Clear Rear Turn Signal/\Reverse Glow Gauges/\Swapped 88' Headlights to 89'-90'/\Swapped 88' seats to 89'/\JDM Rear Chrome Trim/\JDM Clear Corner/\JDM Power Folding-Heated Mirrors/\Stromung Muffler
l4zy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-09, 09:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
[H]

really is a engine treatment with teflon, it is mixed with the normal oil (750 ml of slick50 + oil normal litres)

with the time and the running a thin oil film that protects the engine in cold start, and prevents burnout

Old 04-21-09, 10:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
because i can.

Car 1: '87L, 5 speed Sedan
Car 2: '71 Datsun PL521
Car 3: '03 Infiniti I35

iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sam o nela
Don't use it if you respect your car and plan on keeping it around
Old 04-21-09, 10:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
[H]

sam_o_nela dont worry, i only wanted to know if someone use it, and how was running in a legend,

this in other old cars looks like that run well..

certainly, your avatar is from a legend engine? have you in big size or more pics? thanks
Old 04-21-09, 10:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
because i can.

Car 1: '87L, 5 speed Sedan
Car 2: '71 Datsun PL521
Car 3: '03 Infiniti I35

iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sam o nela
Yeah no worries. One product that is very good is AutoRx. Idk if they will ship to the EU but it's worth looking into.

And the engine is actually a c27a4 from the accord. But close enough
Old 04-22-09, 12:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Forgetaboutit OP; wa$te of your hard earn money... and as far as G1 owners are concerned, I've yet to hear one on here who've actually used this product!
pnoye2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-09, 01:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

Car 1: 1989 Melbourne Blue Honda Legend
Car 2: 1989 Honda Legend
Car 3: 1989 Turbo Legend

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via MSN to 89HondaLegend
I have used a product which would have been identical. Claimed that you could run an engine without oil for thousands of kilometres without any problems...teflon blah blah etc.

End result made no difference and I DO NOT use additives of any sort in my car anymore. I have tried them all, power stearing, radiator, oil additive for ticking, stop oil leaking etc they are band aids at best and generally speaking don't help.

Love to Love the Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarettcancerman
a legend is a good car but its not imortal when exposed to some one who puts blue windshield wipers and a racing stripe on it.
1989 Honda Legend Melbourne Blue - 203 000 Miles
1991 Honda Legend Maroon - 230 000 Miles

Pictures of My Legend
89HondaLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-09, 02:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Spiral descent

Car 1: 1994 GS 6-speed
Car 2: 1996 A6

iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via MSN to telafonic Send a message via Yahoo to telafonic Send a message via Skype™ to telafonic
Yeah, not worth the money.
Even heard some rumors that it can cause damage because it is too 'slick'.

Btw, welcome to the forum. We don't often get members from Spain here. We had a G2 owner from there once but he's not active anymore.

Any pics of your car?
Old 04-22-09, 02:13 AM   #10 (permalink)

Car 1: 93 Legend LS Coupe 6spd
Car 2: 95 Lexus LS400
Car 3: 03 Honda VTX 1300

Well, all bullshit aside, I ran Slick50 in my first Legend ('87 Sedan L) from 1989 until about 2000, when I switched to Mobil 1 synthetic (with no problem by the way). I come from an aviation background and a few aviation technicians I know used the stuff in their cars. One even went as far as running his engine after draining the oil "just to see what would happen" - he ran it for about 10 minutes without any notable problems-refilled the oil and kept on going. So I figured, what the hell, if it can do that then it probably wouldn't hurt to use it.

So for what it's worth, I would have absolutely no problem recommending this to anyone who asked. I ran my '87 Legend up to over 110,000 miles on it without a single problem. Did it make a difference? Hell I'll never know, but what I do know is I always got great gas mileage, never had a problem, never had an oil leak, blue smoke, etc. up the day I sold her - and from what I hear she's still running around Phoenix with over 200k now. Go figure!
1988 Legend L-Olympia White (2/04-12/04)
1987 Legend L-Ascot Grey Metallic (12/89-2/04)
ArizonaLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-09, 02:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
Leaving the lights on

Car 1: 1988 Acura Legend L Automatic

My stepdad used to work for a group that had heavy diesel machinery, e.g. excavators, bulldozers, and mining equipment. They got their equipment's engine oil analyzed monthly. The Slick50 DRASTICALLY reduced the engine wear, like, incredibly. But that's heavy diesel equipment, not an 80's luxury gasoline-burning car.
Psalm 19:14
May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.
Goatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-09, 04:02 AM   #12 (permalink)
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
Bullseye Blaster 2 Champion, Bean Hunter Champion, Clover Crunch Champion, Fight Man Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Frantic Killer Champion, Froggster Champion

You know, I just noticed my father used it in his 85' Nissan Pickup, but I never asked him if it worked for him.

17" DRAG DR-11 Rims/\Matador Red Paint/\Custom CAI/\LED Bright White Dash Lights/\Kenwood KDC-X590 Excelon Mp3 Deck/\Ford Taurus Coin/Cup Holder/\2 12" Kickers/\1800 Watt Kenwood Mono Amp/\Power Acoustic Capacitor/\Clear Rear Turn Signal/\Reverse Glow Gauges/\Swapped 88' Headlights to 89'-90'/\Swapped 88' seats to 89'/\JDM Rear Chrome Trim/\JDM Clear Corner/\JDM Power Folding-Heated Mirrors/\Stromung Muffler
Old 04-22-09, 04:52 AM   #13 (permalink)

Car 1: 1988 Legend LS Coupe
Car 2: 1987 Legend L Coupe
Car 3: 93 Dodge Dakota LS

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to awelliott
I was into synthetic oils some years back and read some engineering studies on Slick 50. As I recall, the biggest issue was that over time and under the right conditions, the teflon would fall out of suspension and, under extreme cases, could cause a buildup significant enough to clog the oil pickup screen and lead to oil starvation.

If I were to "go the extra mile", I'd limit it to just running a high-quality synthetic oil with a high quality (non FRAM) filter.

Last edited by awelliott; 04-22-09 at 02:45 PM.
awelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-09, 04:59 AM   #14 (permalink)
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by awelliott View Post
I was into synthetic oils some years back and read some engineering studies on Slick 50. As I recall, the biggest issue was that over time and under the right conditions, the teflon would fall out of suspension and, under extreme cases, could cause a buildup significant enough to clog the oil pickup screen and lead to oil starvation.

If I were to "go the extra mile", I'd limit it to just running a high-quality synthetic filter with a high quality (non FRAM) filter.
You got that right. FRAM filter sucks ass.

Old 04-22-09, 02:47 PM   #15 (permalink)

Car 1: 1988 Legend LS Coupe
Car 2: 1987 Legend L Coupe
Car 3: 93 Dodge Dakota LS

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to awelliott
Quote:
Originally Posted by l4zy415 View Post
You got that right. FRAM filter sucks ass.
I do like the high-grip paint they use on the end though.
awelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > First Generation Legend (1986-1990)