CAI vs Short Ram...an un-scientific approach... - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > First Generation Legend (1986-1990) > Engine & Performance Modifications

Engine & Performance Modifications Discuss Engine and performance modifications to make your G1 outrun all the rest!

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-07, 07:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
because i can.

Car 1: '87L, 5 speed Sedan
Car 2: '71 Datsun PL521
Car 3: '03 Infiniti I35

iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sam o nela
CAI vs Short Ram...an un-scientific approach...

Due to decisions made by AutoGuide.com, this site has ceased to be about the car, the people, and the community and has now turned into a commercial, corporate money grab.

That is not what I signed up for back in 2003. I am about connecting with like-minded individuals that share the same passion and commitment to the Legend.

I refuse to enforce AutoGuide's rules, and no longer can I participate here while they rape what was once a great community-based forum.

I am leaving to the new site and I am taking all of my contributions with me. They do not belong to you they are NOT your intellectual property per your TOS (a screen shot can and will be provided if needed). They belong to ME, the original author. And as the original author, I am hereby publicly stating that YOU DO NOT HAVE MY PERMISSION to go into your cache and restore my old threads and/or contributions.

Maybe someday I'll return...when the traffic here has died to nothing and you abandon the URL...but I will only return when this forum is no longer owned by you or any of your cronies.

It's been a great ride guys...see you on the other side.

Last edited by sam o nela; 06-12-09 at 01:28 AM.
sam o nela is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-07, 07:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Me & Nomuken(Monkey)
Lego Hockey Challenge Champion

Car 1: 1989 Acura Legend L Sedan

iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Beeze Send a message via Yahoo to Beeze
Thumbs up

Very Nice write up Gabe,
this is similar to the CAI I am in the planning stages of...except mine involves a short ram straight to a 90 degree coupler by the batt connecting to a 90 degree pipe to the fender well...again thanx for this experiment very informational...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigslist AD
"HAS VTEC FOR SURE WAS INSTALLED BY ACURA DEALERSHIP."
Beeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-07, 08:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Well Wisher

Car 1: '94 GS KA7 6MT
Car 2: '91 L KA7 4AT

iTrader Score: 20 reviews
yea that was awesome to see the actual temps...thanks for the write-up

very curious to see what I'm reading out here in sunny AZ...I bet my under hood is like 150 when it's 100 outside! where's a Rangerjoe CAI when you need one! guess I dont have to worry about hydrolock too much!

'94 GS 6MT - Apexi SAFCII, sr5guy Stage 3, Blackend engine damper, MLS Copy strut tower bar, sr79labrat pulleys, OBX headers, custom Y-pipe, Magnaflow Cat & Resonator, Stromung catback, TB Bypass, RJ CAI w/ AEM bypass, XD/S rotors, KYB/Eibach's, RJ short shifter, ground wires

Kenwood DDX6019 w/ NAV + Ipod, Alpine Type-S speakers, 2-tone leather, JDM headlights & rain visors, Alpha Touring grill, Mugen pedals, paint job, '91-'93 OEM fogs + bumper, new OEM floor mats, 17" Konigs
GrtOutdoorsAZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-07, 02:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Eh...What up Doc

Car 1: Lexus GS300 aka Lex Bubble
Car 2: G1 LS deuces :(

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Nice writeup. IMHO it should be a sticky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam o nela View Post
........In short, I will be adding cold air to the stock air box in an attempt to stop biting my nails thinking about hydrolock come the first heavy rain storm.
That's what I have on mine. I bought an OEM K&N filter and decided I still wanted some of the benefits of CAI.

BTW I know this is way off topic but do you have a write up or parts list for an auto trans to man trans swap?

"ridin down the block like what else should a brotha do."

My Lexus Pics
Xcaliber003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-07, 03:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ken
Heli Attack 2 Champion

Car 1: 94 6-speed - RIP

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Ken
lol and I just put my stock resonator and last section of the stock intake back on like 5 mins ago. oh well, ive been through 4 intake setups before.
Old 10-06-07, 03:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car 1: 1988 legend

lookin cool

Hey nice, I vote keep the PVC, those elbows are pleasing, kinda doubt it will deform due to heat. When bending PVC electrical conduit one has to heat the crap out of it.

Do you worry about rain with cai? It pisses here in the winter.

Does it prolong engine warm up in cold weather? My car does 80miles/week of short trips in the burbs, I'd rather it warm up sooner rather than later.

What filter to use? I thought K&Ns are the way to go, better filtration and flow than paper.

I was once told the best is a conical filter crammed into the stock box, I fail to see how that would be better than a drop in K&N.

Any thought on the above?

cheers, Jay
Jay P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-07, 05:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
i love the rear view

Car 1: 91' legend ls sedan
Car 2: 2000 odyssey van
Car 3: 96' rl

yes my front bumper is in need of paint --- but besides that ... k&n drop in in the stock airbox with cold air coming straight into it via the front of vehicle (rammed air so to speak), & a friend of mine with an injen air intake would always beat me by about 1/4 to 1/2 a car b4 i did this ... i shit you not it is now the other way around. he paid $180.00 to get under the hood air, i paid $40.00 for the k&n & less than 10 for the aluminum 3" dryer hookup pipe & used a plastic piece from my yard blower that i will never use anyway. cheap or whatever you may call it, the power increase IS noticable & proven & it DOES give off a nice growl under the hood
music2bmurderedby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-07, 06:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ken
Heli Attack 2 Champion

Car 1: 94 6-speed - RIP

Send a message via AIM to Ken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay P View Post

What filter to use? I thought K&Ns are the way to go, better filtration and flow than paper.
Its actually less filtration and better flow. Can't have the good without the bad ya kno?
Old 10-06-07, 10:49 AM   #9 (permalink)

Car 1: 1988 Legend LS Coupe
Car 2: 1987 Legend L Coupe
Car 3: 93 Dodge Dakota LS

Send a message via ICQ to awelliott
Nice writeup. Couple of questions: first, exactly where does your CAI end? Second, what are you using for filtration? Thanks...
awelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-07, 11:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
because i can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcaliber003 View Post
BTW I know this is way off topic but do you have a write up or parts list for an auto trans to man trans swap?
Hmmm...I believe there is an informal tranny swap post by Legend_Master in the FAQ....if not I will add it right now....but I'm pretty sure its there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay P View Post
Do you worry about rain with cai? It pisses here in the winter.

Does it prolong engine warm up in cold weather?

I was once told the best is a conical filter crammed into the stock box, I fail to see how that would be better than a drop in K&N.

Any thought on the above?

cheers, Jay
~I do worry about rain because there are some places in my area that are notorious for flooding come the first heavy rain. I know for a fact that my CAI will only be protected for so long by the splash shield and I've seen way too many horror stories on car forums...I know I could get a bypass valve, but I'd rather be safe than sorry...my next experiment will test the air temp difference between the CAI and cold air routed into the stock air box.

~I think that ambient temperature would affect your warm up time more than the CAI. I've had this intake on for over a week now and yesterday was the first day I noticed a longer time to warm up...but it was 60 degrees out when for the past few months it's been in the mid 70s every single day...

~Yeah I am using a regular paper air filter for a 91 Prelude...I trust the paper much more and I knew this setup would only be temporary. And regarding the Conical shoved into the stock airbox. Nikhai has this setup on his coupe and it does work, the only problem is though that I believe the stock filter or the drop in has more filtration area...either way I've just never been a fan of oiled-gauze filters...like Ken said, its a trade off...more flow with less filtration

Quote:
Originally Posted by music2bmurderedby View Post
k&n drop in in the stock airbox with cold air coming straight into it via the front of vehicle (rammed air so to speak), & a friend of mine with an injen air intake would always beat me by about 1/4 to 1/2 a car b4 i did this ... i shit you not it is now the other way around. he paid $180.00 to get under the hood air, i paid $40.00 for the k&n & less than 10 for the aluminum 3" dryer hookup pipe & used a plastic piece from my yard blower that i will never use anyway. cheap or whatever you may call it, the power increase IS noticable & proven & it DOES give off a nice growl under the hood
Yes this is the California CAI that Erik (body9599) did way back when...this is kind of what I am planning to do, but minus the hose in the fender well...if one ever has to go through a deep enough puddle, that hose might become a straw

Quote:
Originally Posted by awelliott View Post
Nice writeup. Couple of questions: first, exactly where does your CAI end? Second, what are you using for filtration? Thanks...
My setup ends as most peoples'...in the fender well with the resonator removed (been removed for quite a while actually hahaha) and protected from the elements by the splash shield. Also I am using this paper filter....

Stock Filter for a 91 Honda Prelude

Its a great paper filter...like I said I'm not much into oiled-gauze and I've had this filter on the intake for my wife's Infiniti for a long time now and its still going strong...plus I have no gripes about paying $6.99 every other oil change to change it out rather than having to clean and re-oil....

Thanks for all the great comments guys!
Old 10-06-07, 12:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
Bullseye Blaster 2 Champion, Bean Hunter Champion, Clover Crunch Champion, Fight Man Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Frantic Killer Champion, Froggster Champion

Car 1: 1988 Acura Legend Sedan

Send a message via AIM to l4zy415 Send a message via MSN to l4zy415
great write up gabe i mean teacher lol my filter is foam, is that a good thing to use. plus its pretty easy to clean it up.

17" DRAG DR-11 Rims/\Matador Red Paint/\Custom CAI/\LED Bright White Dash Lights/\Kenwood KDC-X590 Excelon Mp3 Deck/\Ford Taurus Coin/Cup Holder/\2 12" Kickers/\1800 Watt Kenwood Mono Amp/\Power Acoustic Capacitor/\Clear Rear Turn Signal/\Reverse Glow Gauges/\Swapped 88' Headlights to 89'-90'/\Swapped 88' seats to 89'/\JDM Rear Chrome Trim/\JDM Clear Corner/\JDM Power Folding-Heated Mirrors/\Stromung Muffler
l4zy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-07, 12:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
because i can.

Hate to tell you this man, but I have read in the past that foam is probably the worst in terms of filtration....
Old 10-06-07, 12:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
Bullseye Blaster 2 Champion, Bean Hunter Champion, Clover Crunch Champion, Fight Man Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Frantic Killer Champion, Froggster Champion

Car 1: 1988 Acura Legend Sedan

Send a message via AIM to l4zy415 Send a message via MSN to l4zy415
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam o nela View Post
Hate to tell you this man, but I have read in the past that foam is probably the worst in terms of filtration....
damn well thats a kick on the nuts

17" DRAG DR-11 Rims/\Matador Red Paint/\Custom CAI/\LED Bright White Dash Lights/\Kenwood KDC-X590 Excelon Mp3 Deck/\Ford Taurus Coin/Cup Holder/\2 12" Kickers/\1800 Watt Kenwood Mono Amp/\Power Acoustic Capacitor/\Clear Rear Turn Signal/\Reverse Glow Gauges/\Swapped 88' Headlights to 89'-90'/\Swapped 88' seats to 89'/\JDM Rear Chrome Trim/\JDM Clear Corner/\JDM Power Folding-Heated Mirrors/\Stromung Muffler
l4zy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-07, 01:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
Me & Nomuken(Monkey)
Lego Hockey Challenge Champion

Car 1: 1989 Acura Legend L Sedan

Send a message via AIM to Beeze Send a message via Yahoo to Beeze
Question

What is the diameter of those PVC elbows, what size are those couplers, and where did you get them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigslist AD
"HAS VTEC FOR SURE WAS INSTALLED BY ACURA DEALERSHIP."
Beeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-07, 02:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
because i can.

3" 90 degree turns, 3" couplers, bought everything at Ace for about $20

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > First Generation Legend (1986-1990) > Engine & Performance Modifications