CAI vs Short Ram...an un-scientific approach... - Page 2 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > First Generation Legend (1986-1990) > Engine & Performance Modifications

Engine & Performance Modifications Discuss Engine and performance modifications to make your G1 outrun all the rest!

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-07, 02:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
Me & Nomuken(Monkey)
Lego Hockey Challenge Champion

Car 1: 1989 Acura Legend L Sedan

iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Beeze Send a message via Yahoo to Beeze
Talking

great thanx!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigslist AD
"HAS VTEC FOR SURE WAS INSTALLED BY ACURA DEALERSHIP."
Beeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-07, 01:44 AM   #17 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam o nela View Post
Hmmm...I believe there is an informal tranny swap post by Legend_Master in the FAQ....if not I will add it right now....but I'm pretty sure its there...
Thanks, I found it.
Xcaliber003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-07, 02:55 AM   #18 (permalink)
because i can.

Car 1: '87L, 5 speed Sedan
Car 2: '71 Datsun PL521
Car 3: '03 Infiniti I35

iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sam o nela
UPDATE:

I went ahead and replaced the Intake today with the original plumbing with the exception of the hose after the filter box (my factory hose has gone to heaven).

I have also left out the resonator in the fenderwell and sealed off the air duct on the side of the battery. This will force the air to come in through the fenderwell.

So here are the results:

Today's temperature is much warmer than Friday's original test. The ambient temperature is 80 degrees.

I stuck the temperature probe into the air box and stuffed it into one of the filter pleats so as to avoid it touching the hot metal sides, then closed the box.

Same as before, I let the car warm up and then drove it around for a while before I started documenting the temperatures. Air box temp on the left, engine bay temps on the right.

45 mph

30 mph

5 Minutes at Idle

30 minutes of Heat Soak

So as you can see, the air box is somewhat warmer than the CAI. The CAI's filter is always in the fender and is thus always exposed to the cooler air much quicker whereas the Airbox (when sitting at a light for example) will heat up quite a bit and thus demands about 30 seconds to bring in the cooler outside air. Also, the airbox does slightly take away from the top end that the CAI allows through faster, higher air flow.

However, if it is cold air you seek, this setup WILL bring you cold air....also, this setup with the stock plumbing virtually eliminates the possibility of hydrolock during a flooding situation. I know that bypass valves are available, but regardless, I don't think air filters were meant to run while completely soaked. As with most things in life, it is a trade off...but I feel that a little bit of top end is a small price to pay for piece of mind...now to modify some smoother flowing piping to replace the stock stuff

Last edited by sam o nela; 10-07-07 at 06:23 PM.
sam o nela is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-07, 11:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
because i can.

Bumpdate
Old 10-08-07, 05:30 AM   #20 (permalink)

Now you're talkin'! LOL Thats the same setup I have except I used a 90 degree angle tube at the bottom of the fender well hole. IMO it acts somewhat as a scoop because it's aimed at the fog light opening on the bumper.
Old 10-08-07, 12:22 PM   #21 (permalink)
because i can.

^ Understood...however, the reason I have avoided using anything after the fenderwell hole, is to prevent any piece from one day becoming a straw....

If you live in a climate where is rarely rains or floods, or you simply dont drive your Legend in inclement weather, lol than go all out guys
Old 10-08-07, 07:29 PM   #22 (permalink)

a little bit OT here, but have any of you guys experiencet rpm "fluctuations" after installing CAI or SRI? mine is a bit wierd atm... after a bit of throttle, and let the rpms drop, the rpms are waaaayyy low and the engine sometimes "stumbles" a bit (with no load on the engine)... know what i mean? anyone else experience this?
Shai_Hulud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-07, 07:49 PM   #23 (permalink)
Legend in the Making

Car 1: Acura Legend 2.7 L 2dr || Engine: C27A1 || Chassis: KA3

Send a message via AIM to Jerzeyboi85 Send a message via MSN to Jerzeyboi85
I have my wanna be CAI running right up the front next to the battery. Not that cool, but i figure it gets some cool air from outside. Maybe I should set mine up like yours. Also would it be hazardous to paint it to make it look a lil more showy? I am restoring my engine bay's luster and I dont want to go from a shiny chrome intake to a plain jane white PVC tube running into my fender. Can you dyno the results?

Driving now: 2000 Chevy Blazer LS
Jerzeyboi85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-07, 08:09 PM   #24 (permalink)
because i can.

LOL I thought the PVC matched my Car's exterior paint pretty well

But yeah you can paint it...that's no problem...although you might want to go with some High temp paint from Wal Mart or something just to be sure you wont have to be doing it again in a year or so...

Also, Shai I never experienced what you described...could you maybe have a slight vacuum leak or something somewhere?
Old 10-08-07, 11:28 PM   #25 (permalink)

I am now using the exact same setup you did in the second stage...I currently don't have the money to even get pvc...or a filter... also, it was quite easy seeing as my front bumper is currently broken on that side and therefore I can pull it out about half a foot and get the resonator out easily...now I can understand you not having faith in a bypass valve...but truly they work..and you are worried about completely submerging the filter...but it's really only then that the valve works... when negative pressure is created between the filter and the throttle body, the bypass valve opens(the more expensive ones...some are just basically a round filter in the middle of your lining)... most of the time the small ammount of water that is pulled in evaporates before reaching the cumbustion chamber...
666thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-07, 01:29 AM   #26 (permalink)
because i can.

Yeah I know that....and I will most likely be going back to the CAI setup with a bypass valve (I have seen a video of them in action)....BUT not until I find the best filter (I have one in mind but I have to find it first)...then I will update this thread again!
Old 10-09-07, 02:05 AM   #27 (permalink)

SAM, believe it or not, i have not seen under the hood of a 2.5. Is that the stock intake manifold? Also what steering wheel is that???? you have my curiosity up
88LCoupee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-07, 02:30 AM   #28 (permalink)

hehe, now sorry if I sounded like I was trying to teach before btw.. I didn't mean it to sound that way... I actually learned a lot from this post, I've been told(apparently by unreliable sources) that the difference in temperature was merely 5 degrees... but obviously, even in the worse heat, and not a true CAI, it is a much bigger difference... thank you very much for this post, and I think that this one should either A. be stickied or B. be added to one of the stickied ones that include performance suggestions
666thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-07, 02:49 AM   #29 (permalink)
because i can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666thanatos View Post
hehe, now sorry if I sounded like I was trying to teach before btw.. I didn't mean it to sound that way... I actually learned a lot from this post, I've been told(apparently by unreliable sources) that the difference in temperature was merely 5 degrees... but obviously, even in the worse heat, and not a true CAI, it is a much bigger difference... thank you very much for this post, and I think that this one should either A. be stickied or B. be added to one of the stickied ones that include performance suggestions
Lol no way it didnt sound like that at all...it was a valid point and in the end it all comes down to preference...I just have to decide what my preferences are exactly bc I still dont know

89LScoupe
Its a Prelude Si steering wheel...there's pics of it floating around here somewhere and I think that few other members have done it too...and the 2.5 has a plastic cover too, but I took it off in favor of the manifold runners ...I believe the 2.7 has a flat spot under the plastic due to the increased height from the secondaries...
Old 10-09-07, 03:22 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam o nela View Post
^ Understood...however, the reason I have avoided using anything after the fenderwell hole, is to prevent any piece from one day becoming a straw....

If you live in a climate where is rarely rains or floods, or you simply dont drive your Legend in inclement weather, lol than go all out guys
Good point!! The piece I use just snugly sits in place so when it rains I can turn it backwards or simply pull it down and off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > First Generation Legend (1986-1990) > Engine & Performance Modifications