CAI vs Short Ram...an un-scientific approach... - Page 3 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > First Generation Legend (1986-1990) > Engine & Performance Modifications

Engine & Performance Modifications Discuss Engine and performance modifications to make your G1 outrun all the rest!

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-07, 03:08 PM   #31 (permalink)
Battle! Champion, Big Uglies Champion

Car 1: '87 CA5 turbo
Car 2: '90 KA4 beast

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to murderotica
Nice approach, Gabe. I like it.

I've been thinking about doing a hood scoop honestly... just mimicking the one of the turbo legend.
Advertisement

Old 10-12-07, 07:42 PM   #32 (permalink)

Car 1: 1988 Legend LS Coupe
Car 2: 1987 Legend L Coupe
Car 3: 93 Dodge Dakota LS

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to awelliott
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam o nela View Post
Yeah I know that....and I will most likely be going back to the CAI setup with a bypass valve (I have seen a video of them in action)....BUT not until I find the best filter (I have one in mind but I have to find it first)...then I will update this thread again!
Gabe, do you have any recommendations on a bypass valve? I was scrolling around ebay and noticed a drastic price range from as low as 10 bucks up to the mid 40s. Thanks....
awelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-07, 11:03 PM   #33 (permalink)
because i can.

Car 1: '87L, 5 speed Sedan
Car 2: '71 Datsun PL521
Car 3: '03 Infiniti I35

iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sam o nela
AEM seems to be the only reputable brand...I've already bought mine...shop around and you'll find a good price...

I got mine for $44 shipped brand new...and ebay ftw...

Old 10-13-07, 12:38 AM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
AEM seems to be the only reputable brand...I've already bought mine...shop around and you'll find a good price...

I got mine for $44 shipped brand new...and ebay ftw...
Thanks for the info - just snagged one off of ebay...
Old 10-15-07, 12:38 PM   #35 (permalink)

Mine is hooked up - I'm just waiting on the bypass valve to arrive.

I went a little different route in that I used the original snorkel coming off of the intake. It seems like the seal on the vacuum lines is a little more reliable than the grommets on the PVC, plus it maintains a perfect fit around the intake. The only thing I had to do was to rotate the original snorkel clockwise a few degrees to match the angle of the PVC. I bought a piece of 3" thinwall PVC at Lowes and cut a section off to connect the original snorkel to the end of the 90 degree fitting coming around the battery. When my bypass valve arrives, I'll split that section in half and mount it there.

I haven't driven it enough to reach any conclusions, performance-wise. The noise difference is negligible; there may be a bit more of a growl in the tone under heavy acceleration, but it isn't really noticeable. Also, there was no change in the idle. One thing I really like is that the removal of the factory equipment increases the accessibility in the engine compartment.

The 91 Prelude filter was a tight fit in the resonator's old location, but it provides a great deal of flow and shouldn't be much of a problem to change. It will be interesting to see how often it needs changed since it is riding so close to the ground and isn't contained in an external cannister (I guess I had better avoid dirt roads). BTW, if you come up with a better idea filter-wise, please let me know. I'm also not a fan of the foam/oil filters. Better flow is always nice, but you're dancing with the devil if you acheive it at the expense of filtration.

Anyway, thanks for the great idea Gabe, it's a great solution at a fraction of the cost of an aftermarket setup.
Old 10-15-07, 12:48 PM   #36 (permalink)
Me & Nomuken(Monkey)
Lego Hockey Challenge Champion

Car 1: 1989 Acura Legend L Sedan

iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Beeze Send a message via Yahoo to Beeze
Talking

^ Lets see some PICS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigslist AD
"HAS VTEC FOR SURE WAS INSTALLED BY ACURA DEALERSHIP."
Beeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-07, 05:41 PM   #37 (permalink)
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
Bullseye Blaster 2 Champion, Bean Hunter Champion, Clover Crunch Champion, Fight Man Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Frantic Killer Champion, Froggster Champion

Car 1: 1988 Acura Legend Sedan

iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to l4zy415 Send a message via MSN to l4zy415

17" DRAG DR-11 Rims/\Matador Red Paint/\Custom CAI/\LED Bright White Dash Lights/\Kenwood KDC-X590 Excelon Mp3 Deck/\Ford Taurus Coin/Cup Holder/\2 12" Kickers/\1800 Watt Kenwood Mono Amp/\Power Acoustic Capacitor/\Clear Rear Turn Signal/\Reverse Glow Gauges/\Swapped 88' Headlights to 89'-90'/\Swapped 88' seats to 89'/\JDM Rear Chrome Trim/\JDM Clear Corner/\JDM Power Folding-Heated Mirrors/\Stromung Muffler
l4zy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-07, 05:57 PM   #38 (permalink)

Car 1: 95 Acura Legend

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
did you try insulating the pvc with jet black, that way the pvc wont heat up and transfer a lot of heat to the intaked air, and btw routing it behind your wheel well you could probably get even colder air
Artillery129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-07, 04:59 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeze View Post
^ Lets see some PICS!!!
Nothing special, but here are a couple from the top side that I shot last night:

And here's one taken from underneath by the driver's tire. You can just barely see the bottom of the filter peeking through the ventilation slits. It shows how crowded the 91 Prelude filter is once you squeeze it into the old resonator compartment. Getting the splash shield back on is a little tough, but not too bad. I could probably cut another 1/2" off of my tube and make it an easier fit.

Old 10-16-07, 08:24 PM   #40 (permalink)
because i can.

Hmmm...yeah I'd have to say it's your tube bc I didnt run into that problem...
Old 10-16-07, 09:16 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Hmmm...yeah I'd have to say it's your tube bc I didnt run into that problem...

I agree. Your installation looks like you used 90 degree elbows and connected them with rubber couplings. Since I was using my stock snorkel off of the intake and had a longer run, I bought a section of 3" thinwall and glued it into the elbows and only used couplings where I needed to break the system to remove it or to get to components (filter and bypass valve). So on the elbow going down into the former resonator area, I glued about a 4" piece of PVC and connected it to the filter with a coupling. I saw that the filter would be a tight fit, but I didn't feel like taking it apart at the time; however, next time I'm in there I'll knock a couple of inches off of that and should be good to go.

BTW, I'm still up in the air over a filter. As luck would have it, I drove today in a torrential downpour (first rain I've seen in weeks). Even though my bypass hasn't arrived, I wasn't worried about hydrostatic lock because I'd have to drive into a puddle deep enough to submerge the filter for that to come into play. However, I'm a little leery of the reliability and lifespan of that paper filter if it's going to repeatedly get drenched. Unfortunately there appears to be a ton of contradictory information concerning the various filter media (paper, oiled foam, gauze, etc).
Old 10-17-07, 01:28 AM   #42 (permalink)
because i can.

Yeah having the filter that low (practically resting on the splash shield) might be a little troublesome especially on the metal cap and paper pleats....

Getting it up even an inch over the splash shield might make all the difference...

And in all honesty, I really have no answer to the "wetness" thing. I don't think paper, gauze, foam, anything really, was intended to run after a complete soaking. The paper would become brittle, the cotton gauze would lose its oillyness (and thus its filtering capabilities), and foam just sucks all around...

The most honest answer I could give is during winter/rainy seasons, go with either the stock setup, or a "flatter" filter in the fender well....
Old 10-17-07, 01:41 AM   #43 (permalink)

Yeah, I'm going to just keep an eye on it for now and see how much it deteriorates; if I get in the mood, I might try elevating the filter an inch or so. Maybe it's much ado about nothing, but I suspect that the paper won't hold up all that well.

The good thing is that even if this particular setup doesn't fit the bill, I'm sure that there is one out there that will. I suspect that an oiled gauze or even a dual stage foam filter (assuming what study you care to believe) would hold up okay because the splash shield is going to keep 99% of the water out.

I have no way of quantifying this, but the performance does seem a little better, especially when accelerating on the interstate. In addition, the growl is at it's most pronounced under heavy acceleration on the interstate and sounds pretty good. Not quite like being 17 again, but not bad.
Old 10-17-07, 01:52 AM   #44 (permalink)
because i can.

Yeah I've been looking at different filter shapes and looking for something conical yet smaller that will give comparable filtering area yet a maximum amount of space AWAY from the splash shield...

EDIT: Here are some ideas...these pictures are K&N but they are just for example...I plan to find comparable Paper filters as well for those that prefer them...however, due to their immense amount of custom shaped filters, they are a good place to start for the measurements and shapes we need...

RU-2430 Product Specifications
Product Style: Round Straight Universal Air Filter
Flange Inside Diameter: 3 in (76 mm)
Flange Length: 0.625 in (16 mm)
Flange Type: Centered
Height: 5 in (127 mm)
Outside Diameter: 5 in (127 mm)
Top Style: Rubber

RB-0900 Product Specifications
Flange Angle: 5 degrees
Flange Length: 1 in (25 mm)
Flange Type: Angled
Height: 4 in (102 mm)
Outside Diameter: 4.5 in (114 mm)
Top Style: Rubber

RC-9130 Product Specifications
Flange Inside Diameter: 3.188 in (81 mm)
Flange Length: 1 in (25 mm)
Height: 4.438 in (113 mm)
Outside Diameter: 4.938 in (125 mm)
Top Style: Metal

RX-4750 Product Specifications
Product Style: Oval Tapered Universal Air Filter
Base Outside Length: 8 in (203 mm)
Base Outside Width: 6 in (152 mm)
Flange Length: 1.875 in (48 mm)
Height: 6.5 in (165 mm)
Top Outside Length: 5 in (127 mm)
Top Outside Width: 5 in (127 mm)
Top Style: X-Stream

RX-4990 Product Specifications
Product Style: Round Tapered Universal Air Filter
Base Outside Diameter: 6 in (152 mm)
Flange Length: 1.875 in (48 mm)
Height: 5.563 in (141 mm)
Top Outside Diameter: 5 in (127 mm)
Top Style: X-Stream

Last edited by sam o nela; 10-17-07 at 05:49 PM.
sam o nela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-07, 05:46 AM   #45 (permalink)
Untactfully Ghetto

Car 1: 06 Nissan Altima SE-R
Car 2: 08 Sentra SE-R SpecV
Car 3: 02 Isuzu Rodeo 4x4

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to mrtouchedme
I still say try the AEM dry flow filters....I'm gonna get one and see what happens....
mrtouchedme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > First Generation Legend (1986-1990) > Engine & Performance Modifications