CAI vs Short Ram...an un-scientific approach... - Page 4 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > First Generation Legend (1986-1990) > Engine & Performance Modifications

Engine & Performance Modifications Discuss Engine and performance modifications to make your G1 outrun all the rest!

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-18-07, 12:56 PM   #46 (permalink)

Car 1: 1988 Legend LS Coupe
Car 2: 1987 Legend L Coupe
Car 3: 93 Dodge Dakota LS

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to awelliott
Thanks for the update. That RX-4750 looks like it might fit the bill exactly for someone who wants to mount it in the resonator cavity. As soon as I get the time, I'm going to search around and see if I can come up with anything as well. Again, much of the problem is wading through the contending claims - seems like most of the major manufacturers have studies showing that their filter offers the best combination of flowrate and filtration. Still haven't received my AEM bypass valve - if I'm pleased with it (and I expect to be), then I'm going to look hard at them on the filtration side as well.
awelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-07, 01:24 PM   #47 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
so does the PVC setup sound different from dryer hose CAI?
zany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-07, 03:20 PM   #48 (permalink)
because i can.

Car 1: '87L, 5 speed Sedan
Car 2: '71 Datsun PL521
Car 3: '03 Infiniti I35

iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sam o nela
Yeah I'm probably going to go with an AEM dry flow as well...gotta find one with good measurements....keep in mind that these K&N pictures are solely for measurement and shape comparissons. If I find a reputable dry flow that has a perfect size, it will go here....

Also, I would imagine that the sound between dryer hose and PVC isnt too different...

Old 10-18-07, 03:58 PM   #49 (permalink)
Fut

Car 1: Blk/Blk '94 GS 6 Speed [+] '90 LS 5 Speed Sedan

iTrader Score: 33 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Fut

Gabe I joined the CAI club last year, I simply luv it!

One...

Fut

G1 Lowering Control Arms Group Buy
6 Confirmed Buyers - 4 Additional Buyers Needed
Fut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-07, 08:26 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam o nela View Post
Yeah I'm probably going to go with an AEM dry flow as well...gotta find one with good measurements....keep in mind that these K&N pictures are solely for measurement and shape comparissons. If I find a reputable dry flow that has a perfect size, it will go here....

Also, I would imagine that the sound between dryer hose and PVC isnt too different...

Got the bypass valve today. Didn't get a chance to put it on, but I played around with it a little. AEM has a ton of disclaimers saying that they can't guarantee that they'll work with anything but an AEM intake tube, as well as some other stuff, all things that I expected them to say. However, what I didn't expect was their statement that their 3" bypass requires 2 inches of free space around the circumference of the foam filter (the smaller valves aren't much different). I'd have a great deal of trouble finding a single location within my engine bay that will meet that requirement. I guess I'll just put it where I originally planned - I'll have two inches or so around most of it, but it's going to be very tight in a couple of areas, especially next to the battery tray/radiator hose. I'm hoping that the reason behind this requirement is simply that they want to ensure that the valve can take in enough air to avoid a hydrolock condition. Might be a day or two before I get around to it, but I'll post a pic once I do.

Even if my setup isn't optimum, I'm assuming that it's better than nothing at all. I have a test in mind that I'm hoping will shed some light on things. I plan to try something along the lines of leaving the system mounted in the car, disconnecting at the intake and ducting my shop vac there and then removing the filter and extending the tube into a 5 gal bucket of water and see if my shop vac is strong enough to suck up the water and/or open the valve. Not exactly real world, but it should at least give me some idea of whether it will work. Thoughts?
Old 10-19-07, 01:14 AM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtouchedme View Post
I still say try the AEM dry flow filters....I'm gonna get one and see what happens....
Yup, I think that's the way I'm gonna go as well. Getting them wet won't hurt anything since that's how they're cleaned anyway. No oil to mess with, so the maintenance is much easier. It's just a matter of figuring out what they offer that best fits the space I'm using....
Old 10-26-07, 01:44 PM   #52 (permalink)
because i can.

Well ladies and gentle man here is the AEM bypass valve...

Unfortunately, with our already tight engine compartments, you will have to get creative on just where you place it....mine is just barely rubbing on one of the wire's rubber boots. No big deal I think....

Glad to have my CAI back on!

And since I had everything out, I also went ahead and upgraded my positive battery cable to 2 gauge, cleaned all the grounds on the negative cable (will be upgrading that wire soon too...have to find a suitable terminal for the frame ground), and I had to replace a leaky clutch fluid line.

She runs great to say the least

Now I'm just waiting for that AEM dry filter
Old 10-26-07, 02:52 PM   #53 (permalink)

Looks good! That's exactly where I placed my bypass valve, but my angle is a little different. As a result, mine is lightly touching the radiator hose on one side and the side of the battery tray on the other. AEM requires 2" of clearance around the circumference of the valve, but I'm not sure that there is a place in the engine compartment that will meet that requirement. My suspicion is that it's overkill; they want to ensure that, if the valve is ever called upon, it can pull enough air to prevent the engine from pulling water from the main filter. So long as the restrictions are minimal and the valve doesn't touch anything hard enough to deflect it partially open, it should be good to go. I checked with a couple of guys I trust and they basically said the same thing.
Old 10-28-07, 11:05 PM   #54 (permalink)

Car 1: 94 L Sedan

So no more leaky clutch eh? Glad to hear!

But Gabe....would it KILL you to spray some Simple Green into that engine bay!?
ihvnoclu2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-07, 01:45 AM   #55 (permalink)
because i can.

Hahahaha...sorry...its not that "simple"
Old 11-02-07, 01:09 AM   #56 (permalink)
The Legend is gone :(

Car 1: 1988 Acura Legend Coupe Auto Gone :(
Car 2: 1996 Cavalier R.I.P
Car 3: 1987 Ford Ranger

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 89redcoupe Send a message via MSN to 89redcoupe Send a message via Yahoo to 89redcoupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by awelliott View Post
I plan to try something along the lines of leaving the system mounted in the car, disconnecting at the intake and ducting my shop vac there and then removing the filter and extending the tube into a 5 gal bucket of water and see if my shop vac is strong enough to suck up the water and/or open the valve. Not exactly real world, but it should at least give me some idea of whether it will work. Thoughts?
What about taking your filter off and putting your hand over the intake hose and seeing how much suction you have compared to no bypass.
89redcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-07, 03:06 AM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redcoupe View Post
What about taking your filter off and putting your hand over the intake hose and seeing how much suction you have compared to no bypass.
That's a good way of ensuring that the valve works, but what I'd really like to know is whether the bypass will draw enough air to prevent ingesting water should the regular filter become submerged. I honestly don't think it's much of an issue as I'm confident that the filter would have to be submerged, plus there's not much danger of flash floods around here. However, it never hurts to have a little insurance.
Old 11-13-07, 02:17 AM   #58 (permalink)
because i can.

Here ya go guys!

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/te...lve/index.html
Old 11-14-07, 12:15 PM   #59 (permalink)

Excellent! I'll rest a little easier now - thanks!!
Old 03-19-08, 10:34 PM   #60 (permalink)

Car 1: 1990 black G1 sedan

well its kinda obvious that i'm a noob, but is it possible to hook a cone or round shape filter straight into the stock hose after removing the air box and all that? trying to make small and quick changes. After i get my budget up i intend on doing my own CAI
knownaschubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > First Generation Legend (1986-1990) > Engine & Performance Modifications