Grumpy's Guide to Drag Racing at the Strip - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > Automotive Discussion > Track Racing

Track Racing Discuss your track racing stories, times, etc. here. NO STREET RACING DISCUSSION. WILL RESULT IN BAN!!! THANK YOU.

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-27-08, 04:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Find Em Fuck Em Forget Em

Car 1: 2004 Nighthawk RL
Car 2: 2005 Nighthawk TL
Car 3: 2002 525i Sport Wag

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GrumpySteelMan
Grumpy's Guide to Drag Racing at the Strip

Experience.

I've been drag racing for a long time. In fact I enjoy it above all other forms of racing. Modding, Tuning, and Building is all fun...but I don't feel any bigger rush than hammering the 1320...and nothing makes me smile more than surprising some cocky joker with an obviously faster ride...who just can't drive.

I took the time to write this post just for this forum, so if you're a troll please don't pollute this thread with your crap...unless you're an experienced troll with a suggestion, then I say post away, I'll update this post as needed with suggestions, grammar correction, etc.

FIRST THINGS FIRST

Most dragstrips don't really do a very serious tech inspection for fun runs or test and tune. So you should. There are exceptions. Some are very strict and will fail you for things like non-functioning brake lights, battery not being secure, or a non-functioning clutch safety switch.

Check your brakes. Are they squealing? Do you have warped rotors or a pull in the wheel when you step on the brakes? You'll be needing those at the other end of the track, or in the event the guy in the other lane has a problem and crosses over in front of you. Most people don't stop from 80 or 100mph to 10mph at a rapid pace, regularly. So don't be surprised. Be safe.

Check under the hood, under the engine. You'll not want to run at full throttle for fifteen or sixteen seconds if it's two quarts low on oil. Certainly you want your cooling system to be solid, no cracked hoses, etc. Blow a hose on the track and you might close the track for the night, or you might blow a head gasket. If you have any leaks, don't go to the track. Leaving a little oil or coolant behind might not matter to you mister 13, 14, 15 seconds. It could really ruin a 7 second drivers run, car, or worse. Also those leaks that come from under the CENTER of your car...fall right where the motorcycle racers run. coolant, water, and oil are like glass on the traction compound treated surface. Don't be responsible for killing somebody 'cause you drive a bucket with holes in it.

Check your belts for tension and condition. You don't want to be stranded and paying a tow over a $6 piece of rubber.

Check your tires for wear, pressure, and rot. Burnouts, high speed, and heavy braking are (usually) not the norm for our daily drivers. The drag strip isn't the place to find that you have a problem. You really don't want a blowout with only six feet between you and a concrete wall, etc.

Now for the fun part.

At Home and/or After Tech Inspection Sometimes it's the little things...these are some silly to hardcore suggestions for small improvements.

Take out the headlight in front of your CAI to help get that cold air in there.
Remove the Power Steering Belt.
Use an exhaust cutout Inexpensive Removable Cap Style Electric
Check fluids and for leaks again, please.
Take out the spare tire, jack, tools, sub box, etc. 100lbs of weight loss can mean 1-2tenths off your ET. I know a guy that even vacuums his car before he heads to the track, but he's a silly guy.
One thing you don't want to do (especially if you're nitrous'd) is to run at the dragstrip very low on fuel. You run the risk of the weight transfer at launch momentarily starving the fuel supply and running lean at best all the way to rapidly separating engine parts.
Lose your spare tire if you're fat and have one. Save gas mileage and get laid more often, everybody wins!
Check the safety rules before you head to the track. Make sure to have/borrow a helmet if the track requires them.
Make sure to have/borrow a fire extinguisher. Don't mount it on your A-pillar.

The Staging Lanes

Don't run the A/C while you're in the starting lanes, especially not while racing. I've seen that more than a few times. You can also choose to open the hood. Maybe you'll decide to push the car up through the lanes while you wait your turn. As long as the car is at operating temperature (oil and coolant) there is no reason to let it idle and heat soak (high underhood temperatures due to no airflow through the engine bay). You can put a couple of bags of ice on your intake manifold, but don't forget to take those bags of ice out of the engine bay if they're still there before you close the hood.

Cut off your radio! You want to hear how your engine sounds, pre-staging, burnout, staged, down the track, and after the run. Sound is usually the first indicator that something is wrong. For example, if you throw or snap a water pump belt and don't hear it because you're ghetto blasting the strip you'll be lucky if you aren't overheated by the time you get back to the parking area. Make sure to listen for detonation...sounds like snap'n'pops or a rattle. Those are bad noises, get out of the throttle and see what's wrong. This is especially applicable for nitrous users.

Tire Pressure

I've always had best results running between 18psi and 25psi of air pressure in street tires for hard launches. If you're going to lower the pressure, make sure you have a way to fill the tires back up, because not only does low pressure cause premature tire wear and bad fuel economy, but can cause heat buildup and a blowout at highway speeds (Remember those Explorer rollovers?). It will be MUCH harder to burnout if you lower the tire pressure, so keep that in mind. You may be better off running 18psi and skipping the burnout than 25psi and roasting them. This is really somewhat trial and error and personal preference. Don't guess! Keep the pressure as close to equal as possible. Either way, tire pressure alone can knock half a second off your 60' time. No kidding! You only need to do this for the drive wheels.

Your terminal velocity will be lower if you lower the tire pressure, not much admittedly, but if you want maximum MPH vs ET then you won't want to use this trick.

Burnout Box:

Automatic: Put the front wheels just barely inside the water line, put the e-brake on all the way, and floor the car. If you get it to spin readily then unlatch the e-brake after just a second or two. It best to stay on the throttle and let the traction catch up slowly if possible. If you just jump off the gas all the momentum of the drivetrain can break things if the tires stop rapidly (I broke an axle in an 01 Yukon doing this in the snow). If it doesn't spin within about a second then you should probably drive around the water next time and just follow my other suggestions.

Manual: This is mostly the same as the automatic except obviously you have to rev the car up and drop the clutch. I don't mean red-line drops, I mean a sensible RPM that is high enough to break front traction. I always leave the e-brake on for the whole burnout and as I've cooked them a couple seconds OR the tires start to gain traction I release the e-brake and put the clutch to the floor. If the wheels come to a sudden stop this can be shocking to the driveline, so if you're nervous about it, either skip the e-brake or the burnout altogether and follow my other suggestions.

Sometimes the track martial (redneck, no neck, whatever) will wave you around the water box. If you want to burnout, you paid to be there, do it. Roll your window down and motion with both hands, fingers pointed at each other, in a circular motion that you intend on doing a burnout. They mainly just don't want people tracking water from the box onto the staging area.

Shallow Staging

This is a simple tactic. You creep up to the starting line to where you just barely light up the second staging light. This is known as shallow staging. There are a few reasons to do this.

You can 'go' a fraction of a second sooner this way without redlighting. Although if you don't anticipate the green your reaction times will appear slower...you can get a little head start on your buddy in the next lane.

A longer roll-out before the timer starts, since the count doesn't begin until you've left the SECOND light.

You get a better shot at getting some fresh VHT (Traction Compound they put on the tracks) for that instant you apply the throttle. Many people stage 'deep' because they'll get to the other end (a few thousandths) sooner. It doesn't sound like much but that moment of inertia can determine whether you have wheelspin or not!

Launch (Assuming Sportsman Tree)

If you're racing to the other end and not strictly for times, as soon as you see the third yellow light GO! Full throttle and release the brakes at the same time. If you wait for Green your reaction times will be really bad and you might get beaten through the lights by a Hyundai Pony. This is called "Sleeping at the light." The time between each yellow light and the final green is .500 seconds. A perfect reaction time is .500 we call it "Cutting a 500 light." If you really destroy somebody on the R/T you're "Chopping the tree" on them.

Automatic (non turbo): Stage the car. You'll be powerbraking...but not the destructive (and usually non-productive) way your uncle Curtis taught you. As soon as you see the first yellow light, start easing onto the gas pedal with your foot firmly on the brake. The idea here is to keep progressively adding throttle pressure keeping the torque convertor at the verge of lockup. If you just pedal it and the torque convertor is slipping, when you lift off the brake it will take a little time to pick up the 'slack' and get you moving. Try this a few times, I expect you'll feel the difference.

Manual: Every car is different, you're pretty much on your own here. The best thing to do would be find somebody you trust who has experience and ride along with them paying attention to the launch revs, etc. Riding the clutch all the way out of the hole is usually the fastest way out, but it isn't easy on clutches or flywheels.

Personally I like to pick a comfortable throttle position, one that I can hold through the first few instants after launch and concentrate on the clutch for those instants, I mean just a split-second usually before feeding in full throttle. Of course the more power you have, the more clutching/throttle manipulation you'll probably NEED to do. The less torque you have (like an S2000) the more aggressive you'll need to be to get out of the hole. Incidentally the absolute best way to launch the S2k that I've found (sadly) is to drop the clutch at redline and pray that you're moving fast enough to be in the powerband when the wheels stop spinning.

One of my friends (Integra GS-R, Cams, Hondata, etc.) sits at idle until the second yellow light illuminates and then floors the car, when the third yellow light comes on he starts to ease the clutch out. This helps him concentrate on only one thing at a time without worrying about an 8500rpm clutch burn/drop since the revs are still climbing when he leaves the line.

The fastest possible launch will include slipping the clutch and a very small amount of wheelspin.

Pro Tree Launch

Sometimes you get there on a night where they're running a Pro Tree. This means that once the pre-staging and staging lights are illuminated all three yellow lights will flash followed by the green .400 sec later. Unless you're grudge racing somebody, you're better off taking your time and getting the launch right. The timer doesn't start until you do anyway.

Beyond 60'

Automatic: In most cases you just keep your foot down. As a rule of thumb I usually race with auto cars in the regular D or D4 position. Some automatics, especially 'AutoStick' cars shift at higher rpm in first gear if you use that mode. A little experimentation is in order.

Manual: First of all, you don't have to beat your car to death. Really hard launches and hard shifts are not your clutch's friend. There are simply too many variables to tell you exactly how you should run through the gears for your specific car. Here are some general suggestions that may help.

Beginners: Shift at redline, fully clutched and with no throttle. Timing is important here. You want to clutch and get off the gas to stay off the rev limiter. As soon as you have engaged the next gear, ease off the clutch completely and then apply full throttle again.

Power Shifting: This is a really popular term more 'ricers' than 'racers' use. It is full throttle shifting. It involves riding the rev limiter and using the momentum of the engine at redline and a dumped clutch to move you down the track. This is hard on parts.

Expert: In some cases it is better to shift prior to redline. You have to understand the powerband of the engine and the RPM difference between each gear. You want to shift in such a way to maximize your time on the gas, in gear, in the powerband. The second tactic is throttle matching. This isn't so much for getting down the track faster, but it is a much nicer way to shift. The idea is to back off the throttle just enough so that the RPMs are at the correct point for the next gear at that speed. You can shift very quickly as the syncros don't have to spin up for engagement, and you can lift off the clutch VERY quickly and this is without driveline shock.

Tricks: You may see road and drag racers 'power shifting.' It is possible to modify a car with a 'two-step' that lowers the RPM limit when the clutch is engaged (also useful for launches). This allows you to keep your foot planted on the gas without excessive drivetrain shock and engaging the clutch again within the powerband without having to throttle match.

Post Race and Manners

Stay on the gas until just a split second after the lights at the other end. Don't anticipate, you might lift off too soon. Using some light engine braking with your service brakes is a good idea. Don't use the e-brake, that's silly.

Usually the return road is on the right side of the track and sometimes both lanes exit at the same place, so if you're in the left lane, wait for the guy in the right lane to exit the track instead of darting in front of him...he may be having a brake failure and not be able to keep from hitting you.

Drive with some sense on the return road and thank the person who hands you your timeslip, especially if you didn't pull up close enough and they had to get up to give it to you.

Let your car idle for a few minutes after the race, unless its on fire. Hot shutdown isn't good for any car. Let everything (exhaust parts, cylinder heads) cool down a little more gradually and evenly, circulate that coolant and oil.

Don't be a dick just because you beat somebody down the track. I've seen more than a few guys fall victim to a nasty sleeper who had a bad launch or a small problem who later lined up with the same guy and got their doors blown off (after talking all that shit). Even if it's a Hyundai Pony in the next lane...they may think you're the idiot...try not to prove them right.

Respect your fellow racers. Sure the Mustang guys usually aren't very friendly, but you should prove that you belong there through your actions, not your mouth. The local track had some 'thug life' get shot (and killed) by some 'inbreds' because of some trash talking over a car that hadn't even been down the track yet.

Don't place bets with people you don't know at the track. It's a good way to get robbed...don't take any 'rides to the ATM.' Face it, racing sometimes attracts the scum of society.

If your car isn't a 13 second car or better, you probably won't get much respect, aside from somebody saying that, "You're fast for a (legend, grocery getter, four door, family car)." Take it all in stride, MOST of the people who hang out at the dragstrip don't race. In fact many of the people that'll make funny faces and run their mouth about your car have never raced or have crappy slow cars.

You shouldn't come to the track unless it is to have fun, see how your ride performs, see how your hard work paid off, or to settle a grudge with a friend in a safer environment. If you show up to showboat, talk shit, or get things started, you could be in just the right place to get put down. I think we all know, people are sensitive about their cars.

Good Luck!
GSM

Last edited by GrumpySteelMan; 03-28-08 at 07:14 PM.
GrumpySteelMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-08, 05:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
SGM / Type F

iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to samblaze
damn this makes me want to go drag racing....! Good info.
Sig by Double Glow
samblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-08, 08:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Well Wisher

Car 1: '94 GS KA7 6MT
Car 2: '91 L KA7 4AT

iTrader Score: 20 reviews
AWESOME Grumpy! I was just thinking about asking for pointers...I'll do my first run on the track this year, vrooom, vrooom!

'94 GS 6MT - Apexi SAFCII, sr5guy Stage 3, Blackend engine damper, MLS Copy strut tower bar, sr79labrat pulleys, OBX headers, custom Y-pipe, Magnaflow Cat & Resonator, Stromung catback, TB Bypass, RJ CAI w/ AEM bypass, XD/S rotors, KYB/Eibach's, RJ short shifter, ground wires

Kenwood DDX6019 w/ NAV + Ipod, Alpine Type-S speakers, 2-tone leather, JDM headlights & rain visors, Alpha Touring grill, Mugen pedals, paint job, '91-'93 OEM fogs + bumper, new OEM floor mats, 17" Konigs
GrtOutdoorsAZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-08, 09:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via MSN to bandoni™
nice write up, one thing to mention the techs at firebird international raceway are very through with there inspections. I failed for not having my battery tied down, and the gentleman that i sold my 280Z to also failed for the z being able to start with the clutch being engaged.

sig by doubleglow the sigwhisperer
ƃuıʇsod ǝɹoɟǝq ɥɔɹɐǝs plnoɥs sɹǝsn ʍǝu

join the acura legend flickr group

visit my flickr page

Last edited by bandoni™; 03-27-08 at 10:30 PM.
bandoni™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-08, 09:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Great point bandoni. Original post edited accordingly.
Old 03-27-08, 09:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car 1: 1994 Acura Legend GS

i haven't gone to the strip..

but anybody who is going to, shouldn't need a DIY on how to do it. just my two cents, it should be common sense on what you should and shouldn't do, and if your a good racer i hope you are not mishifting. What do you race anyways?
'94'Polymorphic'GS' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-08, 10:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Well Wisher

Car 1: '94 GS KA7 6MT
Car 2: '91 L KA7 4AT

iTrader Score: 20 reviews
I dont think it's a DIY, it's just a guide...little helpful pointers

when I was at the track, I saw all kinds of stock cars running and a bunch that were obviously first timers (I think one car tried to turn around at the end of the track and come back!)

I never would have thought that not having a battery tie-down would cause you to fail the inspection + I heard recently that spider cracks in your windshield may also fail you.

'94 GS 6MT - Apexi SAFCII, sr5guy Stage 3, Blackend engine damper, MLS Copy strut tower bar, sr79labrat pulleys, OBX headers, custom Y-pipe, Magnaflow Cat & Resonator, Stromung catback, TB Bypass, RJ CAI w/ AEM bypass, XD/S rotors, KYB/Eibach's, RJ short shifter, ground wires

Kenwood DDX6019 w/ NAV + Ipod, Alpine Type-S speakers, 2-tone leather, JDM headlights & rain visors, Alpha Touring grill, Mugen pedals, paint job, '91-'93 OEM fogs + bumper, new OEM floor mats, 17" Konigs
GrtOutdoorsAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-08, 10:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

I've drag raced old Volvo cars for years, just because they're fun, and surprise the locals. The first car I ever owned, my 1995 940T with nitrous. It was a 8.50 1/8th and 13.20 1/4 car before it died...but I still have it.

My least favorite was my 92 Mustang. I bought it with mini-tubs, a cage and a vortech. Never buy somebody elses project. I sold it in two weeks. Still it was an 11sec car.

Some of my favorite projects I've had a hand to a soul in:

In 1996-97 I put a B18 into a 1993 Civic del sol with a 55shot of Zex nitrous, it also had a VIS kit and 17" Enkei Wun Guns on it. In 96 nobody had seen anything like it.

91 Mustang 347 with a 101mm turbo, Big Stuff Engine Management (5.60s 1/8th mile)

John Hudson's 97 GSX YouTube - John Hudson's GSX

Nitrous'd 01 S2000 YouTube - Hammering Greensboro NC S2000 vs 850 T5-R (The video is against Robin Roemisch's old 1995 850R which I've also worked on, yes I'm driving the S2000 and under it at the beginning)

1998 GS-T Spyder (The most dangerous car I've ever driven, but fun)

Civics, Integras, 1G/2G Eclipses, too many mustangs, the odd LS1 car, a few Grand Nationals, 240SXs (S/DOHC). I've seriously have hundreds of passes under my belt on dozens of cars.

I'm a 'car guy'
Old 03-27-08, 11:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Just Another Guy

Car 1: '05 C6 Z51
Car 2: '91 Legend Coupe L
Car 3: 96 Tahoe/2005 Civic

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Great info, never knew about shallow staging. Gonna have to try that next time I go out.

Its too bad your far away, cause I love going to the track. The rush & the smell of smoking tires!!!

-Ed

Oh, in that S2k video were you spraying every WOT?
Custom CAI - sr5guy stage II chip - EGR Block - TB Bypass - Blackend's Damper - Custom 2" Y Pipe - Magnaflow Cat - 2.5" B Pipe - Type II IM - Labrat Crank Pulley - NA1 NSX Rims - ME 6000k HID. 14.99 @ 94.12 before manifold, pulley, & rims.

Though I've fallen to the Dark Side!

391whp/384wtq.
Edify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-08, 11:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Dv8
Life Ruiner

Car 1: 08' Lexus IS-F
Car 2: 91' 3.5 Hybrid Turbo
Car 3: 92'Yukon/06'Trailer

iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Wink

Excellent man, you out did yourself.

No need to state credibility, its all in the presentation.

~Dv8
Dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-08, 11:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
SGM / Type F

Send a message via Skype™ to samblaze
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpySteelMan View Post
I've drag raced old Volvo cars for years, just because they're fun, and surprise the locals. The first car I ever owned, my 1995 940T with nitrous. It was a 8.50 1/8th and 13.20 1/4 car before it died...but I still have it.

My least favorite was my 92 Mustang. I bought it with mini-tubs, a cage and a vortech. Never buy somebody elses project. I sold it in two weeks. Still it was an 11sec car.

Some of my favorite projects I've had a hand to a soul in:

In 1996-97 I put a B18 into a 1993 Civic del sol with a 55shot of Zex nitrous, it also had a VIS kit and 17" Enkei Wun Guns on it. In 96 nobody had seen anything like it.

91 Mustang 347 with a 101mm turbo, Big Stuff Engine Management (5.60s 1/8th mile)

John Hudson's 97 GSX YouTube - John Hudson's GSX

Nitrous'd 01 S2000 YouTube - Hammering Greensboro NC S2000 vs 850 T5-R (The video is against Robin Roemisch's old 1995 850R which I've also worked on, yes I'm driving the S2000 and under it at the beginning)

1998 GS-T Spyder (The most dangerous car I've ever driven, but fun)

Civics, Integras, 1G/2G Eclipses, too many mustangs, the odd LS1 car, a few Grand Nationals, 240SXs (S/DOHC). I've seriously have hundreds of passes under my belt on dozens of cars.

I'm a 'car guy'
Now that's what I call a 'track' record! Props!
Sig by Double Glow
samblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-08, 12:09 AM   #12 (permalink)

Car 1: 1992 Acura Legend LS Sedan
Car 2: 05 Suzuki RMZ-250
Car 3: soon Suzuki GSX750

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to RedLegend92
Nice, write up, good to see someone who knows their stuff!

CHICAGO LEGENDS!
Custom CAI
magnaflow catback exhaust
2 12" kicker cvr12's with a 2253 watt (751 rms)rockford amp w/ Cap
Pioneer head unit w/ pioneer ipod adapter
Rial 16" rims w/ goodyear triple tread tires
3 gauge pillar w/ autometer cobalt gauges.oil pressure, water temp, and air/fuel
GTS Smoke headlight covers
Venom 400 performance chip
Clear Corners
Mod Express 6000k HID kit
Addco rear sway bar
Blackened Engine Damper
20% tint
RedLegend92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-08, 12:14 AM   #13 (permalink)
Type II King

Car 1: 94 Legend Gs type II

you might want to add that as tire pressure goes down, so will your mph in the quarter mile. Good write up though
2.5" mandrel exhaust, deleted cat, cold air intake, web cam regrinds, comp cam valve springs, port & polish heads and manifold, tb bypass, egr block, five speed clutch/flywheel, 80a polyurethane mounts all around, type 1 pulley, headers,re-fabed y-pipe, SR5guy Custom Chip, 6speed swap, safc II, strut bar, F/R sway bars, FL tie bars, ksports,tune
243.3 hp 197.7 ftlb N/A dynapack before manual swap
232.8 hp 204.0 ftlb N/A dynojet 10/19/07
13.737 1/4 mile @ 100.207 mph & 2.012 60' NA
Forevralegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-08, 01:17 AM   #14 (permalink)
B+O
I'van der Rohe
Towers of Hanoi Champion

Car 1: why?

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to B+O
Already contributing priceless information!

Glad we lucked up on you. Hope you stay around

EDIT:

Stickied

Last edited by B+O; 03-28-08 at 04:18 PM.
B+O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-08, 02:32 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edify View Post
Oh, in that S2k video were you spraying every WOT?
All the interstate runs, yes. Not around town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forevralegend View Post
you might want to add that as tire pressure goes down, so will your mph in the quarter mile. Good write up though
You're right, as rolling resistance is higher with lower tire pressure. For this crowd, meaning heavy FWD cars, I think the lower tire pressure and better launches more than pays for itself.

To demonstrate absolute highest MPH at the traps, lower tire pressure is not your friend. Post edited accordingly.

Last edited by GrumpySteelMan; 03-28-08 at 03:08 PM.
GrumpySteelMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > Automotive Discussion > Track Racing