Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum
 

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum (https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Track Racing (https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   How to shift.... (https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=13172)

502 MotorSports 09-17-02 07:53 AM

How to shift....
 

09-17-02 09:14 PM

:D

thanks for the link

those will help when i learn to drive a manual:)

ganoze 09-19-02 01:33 AM

thanks leon.

i bought a '85 honda prelude to learn for $80 a while back. Cheap lesson huh.

just kidding i put another $400 into it to keep it going. Clutch is still good after many stalls, gear grinding, etc...

mYbabYLeGend 09-19-02 08:20 PM

my friend just baught a manual subaru for 50 dollars lol ima try to learn how to drive stick for once in my life lol

the~oreca 09-29-02 12:46 PM

I learnt to drive stick in my dads Jetta a few years ago when I didn't have my licence.
It wasn't so bad, it's pretty easy to do once you got the hang of it.
But I could never get to shift like that! Just the way the pictures were was confusing me :giggle:

Cresap 10-07-02 06:33 PM

my first car I learned to drive in was my 86 Legend 5 speed. Then I totaled that and bought a 90 auto, hated driving an automatic, it just never shifts when you want it to. Then I sold that and bought my 91 5 speed coupe. I will never go back to an auto, no more waiting for up shifts and down shifts. Plus I actually get better mileage. I have never tried the back hand technique it seems really akward especially since the 3rd gear in our cars doesn't always want to go in at high rpm's. I'll give it a try though.

10-10-02 02:36 PM

I need to get a beater civic to learn how to drive Maunal

LegendSpeed 11-05-02 09:28 PM

hey...i already drive like that..weird

Lenny 11-22-02 06:07 PM

The best way to learn how to drive stick is to do it like i did. Although i didnt want it like that but thats how i learned. Got a good deal on an 5speed 91 legend, couldnt drive stick at all!!!
Well my bro brought it home for me, cause he knows how to drive stick. And then it was all left to me. Turned out that the car had a realy worn out clutch which made it even mroe agonizing, to add to that i live in new york city, the first day i stalled probalby like 50 times, had to stop and start at every traffic light. Especially were nerve braking those moments when i was on lil hills:) But ones you learn to drive worn out stick in new york city you can drive it anywhere you want :)

CuteYangGuy 11-28-02 11:07 PM

MANUAL IS AND WILL ALWAYS BE BETTER THAN AUTOMATIC.
IM SO USE TO MANUAL I THINK AUTOMATIC IS HARD HEHEHE.
I LIKE TO HAVE TOTAL CONTROL OF MY CAR.WITH AUTOMATIC I DONT LIKE THE FEELING OF IT MOVING ON ITS OWN,ITS SCARY.

dap0901 11-28-02 11:23 PM

Manual is great!
 
" If you cannot drive a manual than you do not know how to drive!" And that is the truth! I loved my 1986 Acura Legend 5 speed she was quick and agile. Then I got the Vigor 5 speed which was alot more quicker but still not what I wanted. However I have gone back to automatice just for now. Next car is a six speed coupe. Hey Kevon :giggle:

katonk 02-23-03 01:13 PM

That back-handed crap is the dumbest thing I have ever seen! There is no reason why you would need to do something that rediculous. I guarantee that no advanced driving school (or even a beginners driving school) would ever endorse such a retarded shifting technigue.

91coupe 02-23-03 02:33 PM

The guy from BMW Films uses it :D

B+O 02-28-03 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by katonk
That back-handed crap is the dumbest thing I have ever seen! There is no reason why you would need to do something that rediculous. I guarantee that no advanced driving school (or even a beginners driving school) would ever endorse such a retarded shifting technigue.
:giggle:

actualy that is the best way to do it. a friend of mine over revved because she was ham-fisting the shifter, she went from 3rd to 2nd by accident. that technique guarantees you wont make that mistake.

LegendGS 02-28-03 01:48 PM

This type of shifting takes some getting used to. I tried it the other day and went from 2nd to 5th. :giggle:

Right now, I simply use different parts of my palm and a few fingers to shift. :D

katonk 02-28-03 04:06 PM

Unless Bob Bondurant, Skip Barber, and the SCCA schools start teaching it, I'm gonna continue calling it a bizarre technique. I have yet to attend a performance driving course that endorsed back handed shifting.

In fact, I remember a driving school at an autocross event that specifically said not to do that. They said to grab the knob, and shift it into gear. All that changing of hand positions is just wasted effort.

But hey, if that's what you're comfortable with....

toucci 04-23-03 03:24 AM

i think thats someones personal technique and it doesnt look very good. I think the best shift technique is whatever gives you the best control while retaining a quick throw. i wouldnt feel confident shifting that way, and it would probably be slower

blue88 07-19-03 04:45 PM

5 speeds are the way to go. Automatics really blow. They're sluggish and never shift when you want.

bklynstunna 07-31-03 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by blue88
5 speeds are the way to go. Automatics really blow. They're sluggish and never shift when you want.
not always, i know some AT's that pack a punch,

i prefer 6 speed over 5 speed :p

scottsdreamcar 09-22-03 11:21 PM

this is kinda ironic.........i dont have my lisence quite yet but i still drive.......even though i drive a pickup ......when i was learning i never once had a prob with gears......i just like everyone else had probs with the clutch........thats all.....i have never skiped a gear...i have downshifted way to early......i was going from 4th into 3rd and just about blew the engine.....but it still holds up.....but i have noticed i dont have a technique i just shift!!!...weirdguess im not a pro!......but i`l take ya on at the track and my shifting is just as accurate as yours!!!

FF Drifter 09-23-03 01:56 AM

This kind of shifting actually doesn't work too well with the Legend. The Legend has a notoriously notchy shifter and extremely precise gates. The 2nd-to-3rd and 4th-to-5th shifts should be done with the part of your hand between the thumb and index finger. That backhand method just gets you in trouble. Good of downshifts, not good for upshifts.

B+O 09-23-03 01:16 PM

wee when practicing that technique i got comfortable witht he palm for the 2-3 the use some what of a back plus full over head hand tyle like the palm on the top of the knob, then the backhand-ish palm for 4-5 and imitation 5-6 its comfortable for me to backhand with fingers. Then downshifting...its easy to backhand the whole way back to 3rd then grab llike dude did.

CU-Legend 09-23-03 02:20 PM

I think it's easier to get into fifth from fourth doing the backhand thing from the technique then shifting backhand into sixth also. I've tried it for the 2-3 shift but I think normal shifting works better and I rarely miss 3rd now that I'm used to driving a manual..

Johnny Kim 11-13-03 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Cresap
my first car I learned to drive in was my 86 Legend 5 speed. Then I totaled that and bought a 90 auto, hated driving an automatic, it just never shifts when you want it to. Then I sold that and bought my 91 5 speed coupe. I will never go back to an auto, no more waiting for up shifts and down shifts. Plus I actually get better mileage. I have never tried the back hand technique it seems really akward especially since the 3rd gear in our cars doesn't always want to go in at high rpm's. I'll give it a try though.
learned how to drive in my friends 2003 grandam 5spd
and now i take his car to school since ima a share time student in auto mechanic

mr_nemesis2003 12-05-03 02:45 PM

I don't see why you guys have so much problems with driving a manual tranny. Maybe b/c you guys learned in hard to drive cars which turn off on you easilly. I learned in a lil cheap ae86 corolla, that is the easiest car to drive. Now i drive the ferocious legend. I have still not shifted wrong. Horray to the everlasting legend.

Lost1 12-06-03 01:28 AM

nobody is having trouble shifting, they are just trying to shift faster, to cut time off their track times.

mr_nemesis2003 12-06-03 02:14 PM

I didn't know there would be a way to shift faster, other than just moving your hand and legs faster.

-NeMeSiS:2cool:

Johnny Kim 12-27-03 05:59 PM

i juz shift...

aznman007 01-04-04 01:19 AM

now what is double clutchin? i read on some of the searches but it confused me. i tried it and all i did was overrev the engine a tidbit while holdin the clutch down shiftin into a diff gear.....

FF Drifter 01-04-04 01:32 AM

Double-clutching is a technique to match revs for a lower gear. If you pull your gear from 4th-to-3rd for instance, I'm sure you've noticed the car jerks like crazy and you get all sorts of "idiot..." stares from other drivers around you. Double-clutching/single-clutching while downshifting are techniques to eliminate that downshift overrev.

Let's say you are in 4th gear and you want to downshift. You lift your foot off the gas, press in the clutch, then put the gear in neutral and let the clutch out again. Then you rev the gas ("blip the throttle") to bring the RPM up to the proper level for 3rd gear. Next you press the clutch back in again, but this time you put the shifter into 3rd gear. If done properly, the revs will match and the downshift will be much smoother.

Now downshifting this way before a turn when you only have two feet and there are three pedals... ~ well that's where the heel/toe stuff comes in. Check that thread out.

CU-Legend 02-25-04 04:42 PM

Bringing this thread back because I have a question.

The whole time I was learning stick, everyone always told me to never skip a gear when I was shifting up, so getting on the highway I would run up first, run up second, push through third and then shift real quick through fourth, fifth, and to sixth. My leg gets tired from all the shifting and I would rather just go 1-2-5 or 1-2-3-6 or whatever.

Is it okay to skip gears shifting up?

FF Drifter 02-26-04 02:53 AM

Yes, but on a Legend's ratios, it would feel like crap. Probably the only gear you can skip comfortably is fourth. 1st-to-3rd, 3rd-to-5th, etc. are extremely different ratios and your car lets you know with an overrev to the upshift, and by feeling really weak until you get the RPM back up. I suppose it's acceptable on a freeway, but if you're on an uphill onramp or something of the like, I recommend still going through all your gears. However, I will note that when I first got the Legend, I had lots of trouble with 3rd gear so I'd often skip it with a 2nd-to-4th shift. Not that great.

If we had Corvettes or something, I'm sure it'd be just fine and you couldn't tell the difference besides increased gas mileage.

B+O 02-26-04 03:10 AM

well dont super shift 4-6

you dont have to do that...you can start in second or what not 1st if need be shift 1-2-3-4-5....keep six for over 70 mph or if you're cruising at 65 already... dont use it to accelerate just use it as a reserve gear

Cresap 02-27-04 04:16 PM

I skip gears all the time. Especially 3rd when I am just going around town. Their is no reason not to, especially if you have already accelerated to your desired speed. Their is no reason to actually go through 4th and 5th when you can just go from 3rd to 6th when at highway speeds.

niponlegend 05-09-04 01:07 PM

1989 legend 5spd totalled
1992 vigor 5spd totalled
present 1993 legend monster

niponlegend 05-09-04 01:23 PM

always double clutch, this is the best way to shift. always double up on every thing.

FF Drifter 05-09-04 06:56 PM

If your name is Brian Spilner, your Eclipse has a diamond-floorplate that comes out when your exhuast manifold is bustin' up, and your car has eight huge clunky gears to grind through, then yes, never "granny-shift". :rolleyes:

johndftc 05-09-04 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Cresap
I skip gears all the time. Especially 3rd when I am just going around town. Their is no reason not to, especially if you have already accelerated to your desired speed. Their is no reason to actually go through 4th and 5th when you can just go from 3rd to 6th when at highway speeds.
I do that all the time. Like off from a red light when it turns green and I wanna feel my back pressed against my seat, I floor it through first and second, then double-clutch into fourth.

hondaman23 01-10-05 04:29 AM

You guys need some learnin'....
 
I love you guys that think that an upshift requires a double clutch. Do you even know what a double clutch does to the gear stalks in the trans. Think about it a while and figure it out. It is not necessary. For downshift, yes it is good.

Skipping gears causes no problems. If your gearing can hold the speed then go to the highest gear you have as soon as you get to crusing speed. Please dont go through all the gears all the time. It is just wearing your synchros for no good reason.

Now, to the basis for this whole thread. Shifting. I read the techniques on that web page and I immediatley began to laugh. That is a load of sh*t. You will hit gears you don't want or end up grinding the crap out of your synchros.
At a BMW school (taking in my Civic), a national driver of a Speedvision 3 series BMW gave the best tidbit of information I have ever heard on shifting.
Pay attention now, this is really difficult: Hold your shifter with only 3 fingers!!! Not the palm of your hand with your fingers monkey-gripping the shifter so hard that you have no feel of the linkage to the transmission.
Use your thumb, index and middle fingers only and just at the finger tips. This will take a little time to get used to but it works better than anything. This increases the feel of the shifter linkage and using fingers reduces the weight you can shift with and this allows the sychros to work properly and at a speed that they will not grind.
Alternative - use 4 fingers (no pinky finger) if the 3 fingers is too unstable.

The race driver said that this technique alone will save your transmission and allow you to win races. This translates into a transmission that will last forever on the street. :)

kostas86 01-10-05 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hondaman23
I love you guys that think that an upshift requires a double clutch. Do you even know what a double clutch does to the gear stalks in the trans. Think about it a while and figure it out. It is not necessary. For downshift, yes it is good.

Skipping gears causes no problems. If your gearing can hold the speed then go to the highest gear you have as soon as you get to crusing speed. Please dont go through all the gears all the time. It is just wearing your synchros for no good reason.

Now, to the basis for this whole thread. Shifting. I read the techniques on that web page and I immediatley began to laugh. That is a load of sh*t. You will hit gears you don't want or end up grinding the crap out of your synchros.
At a BMW school (taking in my Civic), a national driver of a Speedvision 3 series BMW gave the best tidbit of information I have ever heard on shifting.
Pay attention now, this is really difficult: Hold your shifter with only 3 fingers!!! Not the palm of your hand with your fingers monkey-gripping the shifter so hard that you have no feel of the linkage to the transmission.
Use your thumb, index and middle fingers only and just at the finger tips. This will take a little time to get used to but it works better than anything. This increases the feel of the shifter linkage and using fingers reduces the weight you can shift with and this allows the sychros to work properly and at a speed that they will not grind.
Alternative - use 4 fingers (no pinky finger) if the 3 fingers is too unstable.

The race driver said that this technique alone will save your transmission and allow you to win races. This translates into a transmission that will last forever on the street. :)

Very nice i couldn't have said it better.
I've noticed that i get the best shifts when i am not thinking about it, and just shift. It always works for me, i just relax, focus on my driving and don't even worry about shifting. It comes naturally either that or i am just too damn good, lol :giggle:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© AutoGuide

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:23 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© AutoGuide