How to shift.... - Page 3 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > Automotive Discussion > Track Racing

Track Racing Discuss your track racing stories, times, etc. here. NO STREET RACING DISCUSSION. WILL RESULT IN BAN!!! THANK YOU.

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-25-04, 03:42 PM   #31 (permalink)
Want another Legend

Car 1: '04 RSX-S
Car 2: Legend on its way

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CU-Legend
Bringing this thread back because I have a question.

The whole time I was learning stick, everyone always told me to never skip a gear when I was shifting up, so getting on the highway I would run up first, run up second, push through third and then shift real quick through fourth, fifth, and to sixth. My leg gets tired from all the shifting and I would rather just go 1-2-5 or 1-2-3-6 or whatever.

Is it okay to skip gears shifting up?

1991 Automatic Frost White coupe - Sold
1993 6-speed Granada Black Pearl Metallic coupe - Sold
2004 RSX-S Artic Blue Pearl - Traded
2007 Mazdaspeed6
CU-Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-04, 01:53 AM   #32 (permalink)

Car 1: KA7 Legend sedan, 5 speed manual

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Yes, but on a Legend's ratios, it would feel like crap. Probably the only gear you can skip comfortably is fourth. 1st-to-3rd, 3rd-to-5th, etc. are extremely different ratios and your car lets you know with an overrev to the upshift, and by feeling really weak until you get the RPM back up. I suppose it's acceptable on a freeway, but if you're on an uphill onramp or something of the like, I recommend still going through all your gears. However, I will note that when I first got the Legend, I had lots of trouble with 3rd gear so I'd often skip it with a 2nd-to-4th shift. Not that great.

If we had Corvettes or something, I'm sure it'd be just fine and you couldn't tell the difference besides increased gas mileage.

-8000K HID low-beams/PIAA Spark 8000 high-beams/PIAA Plasma GT-X corners
-Type II brakes/some weight reduction/new tires every 4-6 months
-NA1 NSX wheels: Kumho Ecsta SPT 225/50V-16R in front, Kumho Ecsta ASX 205/60V-15R in rear
-Custom built six-puck kevlar clutch/Lightened (aluminum) pulleys
-[Mugen/Showa] suspension with remote-adjustable dampers
-C35A1/C32A1 hybrid swap; smog legal (by GreenLight Auto)
FF Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-04, 02:10 AM   #33 (permalink)
B+O
I'van der Rohe
Towers of Hanoi Champion

Car 1: why?

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to B+O
well dont super shift 4-6

you dont have to do that...you can start in second or what not 1st if need be shift 1-2-3-4-5....keep six for over 70 mph or if you're cruising at 65 already... dont use it to accelerate just use it as a reserve gear
B+O is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-04, 03:16 PM   #34 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 black on black coupe

I skip gears all the time. Especially 3rd when I am just going around town. Their is no reason not to, especially if you have already accelerated to your desired speed. Their is no reason to actually go through 4th and 5th when you can just go from 3rd to 6th when at highway speeds.
Cresap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-04, 12:07 PM   #35 (permalink)

Car 1: black/black legend 1993 sedan

1989 legend 5spd totalled
1992 vigor 5spd totalled
present 1993 legend monster
niponlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-04, 12:23 PM   #36 (permalink)

Car 1: black/black legend 1993 sedan

always double clutch, this is the best way to shift. always double up on every thing.
niponlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-04, 05:56 PM   #37 (permalink)

Car 1: KA7 Legend sedan, 5 speed manual

If your name is Brian Spilner, your Eclipse has a diamond-floorplate that comes out when your exhuast manifold is bustin' up, and your car has eight huge clunky gears to grind through, then yes, never "granny-shift".

-8000K HID low-beams/PIAA Spark 8000 high-beams/PIAA Plasma GT-X corners
-Type II brakes/some weight reduction/new tires every 4-6 months
-NA1 NSX wheels: Kumho Ecsta SPT 225/50V-16R in front, Kumho Ecsta ASX 205/60V-15R in rear
-Custom built six-puck kevlar clutch/Lightened (aluminum) pulleys
-[Mugen/Showa] suspension with remote-adjustable dampers
-C35A1/C32A1 hybrid swap; smog legal (by GreenLight Auto)
FF Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-04, 07:13 PM   #38 (permalink)
LlVlNG LEGEND
Lunar Command Champion

Car 1: 2008 Jeep Commander
Car 2: 2006 Honda CRV
Car 3: 1994 Acura Legend

Send a message via AIM to johndftc
Quote:
Originally posted by Cresap
I skip gears all the time. Especially 3rd when I am just going around town. Their is no reason not to, especially if you have already accelerated to your desired speed. Their is no reason to actually go through 4th and 5th when you can just go from 3rd to 6th when at highway speeds.
I do that all the time. Like off from a red light when it turns green and I wanna feel my back pressed against my seat, I floor it through first and second, then double-clutch into fourth.
johndftc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-05, 03:29 AM   #39 (permalink)

Car 1: I have no Legends Left - End of an era!

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Exclamation You guys need some learnin'....

I love you guys that think that an upshift requires a double clutch. Do you even know what a double clutch does to the gear stalks in the trans. Think about it a while and figure it out. It is not necessary. For downshift, yes it is good.

Skipping gears causes no problems. If your gearing can hold the speed then go to the highest gear you have as soon as you get to crusing speed. Please dont go through all the gears all the time. It is just wearing your synchros for no good reason.

Now, to the basis for this whole thread. Shifting. I read the techniques on that web page and I immediatley began to laugh. That is a load of sh*t. You will hit gears you don't want or end up grinding the crap out of your synchros.
At a BMW school (taking in my Civic), a national driver of a Speedvision 3 series BMW gave the best tidbit of information I have ever heard on shifting.
Pay attention now, this is really difficult: Hold your shifter with only 3 fingers!!! Not the palm of your hand with your fingers monkey-gripping the shifter so hard that you have no feel of the linkage to the transmission.
Use your thumb, index and middle fingers only and just at the finger tips. This will take a little time to get used to but it works better than anything. This increases the feel of the shifter linkage and using fingers reduces the weight you can shift with and this allows the sychros to work properly and at a speed that they will not grind.
Alternative - use 4 fingers (no pinky finger) if the 3 fingers is too unstable.

The race driver said that this technique alone will save your transmission and allow you to win races. This translates into a transmission that will last forever on the street.

95 Legend-Less, I don't know what to do with myself....
86 CRX w/D16A Turbo
hondaman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-05, 11:25 AM   #40 (permalink)

Car 1: Boxster S, Subaru STi, Subaru WRX, AMG E55, Benz E320 Coupe, & Benz 190e

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaman23
I love you guys that think that an upshift requires a double clutch. Do you even know what a double clutch does to the gear stalks in the trans. Think about it a while and figure it out. It is not necessary. For downshift, yes it is good.

Skipping gears causes no problems. If your gearing can hold the speed then go to the highest gear you have as soon as you get to crusing speed. Please dont go through all the gears all the time. It is just wearing your synchros for no good reason.

Now, to the basis for this whole thread. Shifting. I read the techniques on that web page and I immediatley began to laugh. That is a load of sh*t. You will hit gears you don't want or end up grinding the crap out of your synchros.
At a BMW school (taking in my Civic), a national driver of a Speedvision 3 series BMW gave the best tidbit of information I have ever heard on shifting.
Pay attention now, this is really difficult: Hold your shifter with only 3 fingers!!! Not the palm of your hand with your fingers monkey-gripping the shifter so hard that you have no feel of the linkage to the transmission.
Use your thumb, index and middle fingers only and just at the finger tips. This will take a little time to get used to but it works better than anything. This increases the feel of the shifter linkage and using fingers reduces the weight you can shift with and this allows the sychros to work properly and at a speed that they will not grind.
Alternative - use 4 fingers (no pinky finger) if the 3 fingers is too unstable.

The race driver said that this technique alone will save your transmission and allow you to win races. This translates into a transmission that will last forever on the street.
Very nice i couldn't have said it better.
I've noticed that i get the best shifts when i am not thinking about it, and just shift. It always works for me, i just relax, focus on my driving and don't even worry about shifting. It comes naturally either that or i am just too damn good, lol
Old 01-10-05, 12:42 PM   #41 (permalink)
Eliot

Car 2: 1994 Wide 6 Speed
Car 3: 1989 240SX 5 Speed

Send a message via AIM to Blood Riot
Okay, so you guys are saying that its okay to skip gears? like I can go 1, 3, 4 ?
And why is it bad to go through all the gears all the time, I thought that it was best to go through them all the time?
Blood Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-05, 02:55 PM   #42 (permalink)

Car 1: I have no Legends Left - End of an era!

It is not bad.........

You read too much into what I was saying. The point is that the synchro must work every time you put it into that gear so why do it unless you have to or want to. I start out in second from a standstill in my civic because I like going to 55 mph in one gear. That is a rareity that I do that, but I like to mess around and do things a little differetly sometimes.

Just to say, shift the way in which it feels good to you and if you need to stay in the power band. If you are not full throttle, you might consider another higher gear and get better gas mileage.

95 Legend-Less, I don't know what to do with myself....
86 CRX w/D16A Turbo
hondaman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-05, 01:21 PM   #43 (permalink)
***ned

Damn, I learned to drive stick on a 1989 Freightliner FLC120 Cabover. (Yes, that is a 18 wheeler, one of the ugly flatnose ones). I learned on that when I was 13 at the farm my family used to own! All I have to say is, when you learn on something that has 18 gears and no syncros, everything else is easy!
1_Hot_Legend_LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-05, 03:32 PM   #44 (permalink)
Factory Freak!

Car 1: VGM KA8 5SP
Car 2: Downhill MTB

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 92drls
This was the biggest waste of a thread ever. Those "techniques" are horrible and if you actually go to a track class or school you know as well as I do, they are in fact pretty dangerous for your tranny and motor. But....to each his own

Edit: Did'nt mean to bring this back from the dead, my bad
92drls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-05, 01:20 AM   #45 (permalink)
Eliot

Car 2: 1994 Wide 6 Speed
Car 3: 1989 240SX 5 Speed

Send a message via AIM to Blood Riot
hahaha, care to explain 92drls? I dont even know what you are disagreeing on? let us in on it wont you?
Blood Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > Automotive Discussion > Track Racing