Resetting SRS light DIY - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura RL > First Generation RL (1996-2004)

First Generation RL (1996-2004)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-13-05, 07:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Resetting SRS light DIY

My SRS light came on after i removed my gauge cluster and I have a friend who works at acura and he gave me instructions on how to reset it myself.
I can't believe they charge 30 bucks for this. Well here is the info for those who need it. I would scan the document but i don't have access to a scanner right now.

Notice that it says to use a SCS service connector, but a jumper wire should suffice. And the MES connector that needs to be jumped is a Yellow Plug that is under the dash cover. It just hangs when u remove the dash cover.

To erase the DTC(s) from the SRS unit, use a Honda PGM Tester (see the Honda PGM tester SRS vehicle system Supplement or the following procedure.

1. Make sure the ignition switch is OFF.

2. Connect the SCS service connector to the MES connector (2P). Do not use a jumper wire.

3. Turn the ignition switch ON (II)

4. The SRS indicator light comes on for about 6 seconds and goes off. Remove the SCS service connector from the MES connector (2P) within 4 seconds after the SRS indicator light went off.

5. The SRS indicator light comes on again. Reconnect the SCS service connector to the MES connector (2P) within 4 seconds after the SRS indicator light comes on.

6. The SRS indicator light goes off. Remove the SCS service connector from the MES connector (2P) within 4 seconds.

7. The SRS indicator light indicates that the memory is erased by blinking two times.

8. Turn the ignition switch OFF, and wait for 10-seconds.
imaginasian vboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-05, 09:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

Listen man I had the light come up on me to, resetting it is a temporary fix, when I took mine into the dealer there was an issue with the computer and they told me it wouldnt have deployed in an accident. But i dunno your situation, apparently there was some corrupt code in the cars computer.
Alpix00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-05, 01:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

if you read my post, it clearly states that the light came on after I removed my gauge cluster......................................
imaginasian vboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-05, 09:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

I reset mine because of a defect in the seatbelt sensor that sends false codes when exposed to a cell phone signal. I've also heard of mp3 players and satellite radios causing the same problem. The sensor is a common problem and should be replaced. However, the cost from my local dealer was $650.00. He said they had to remove the seat and take it apart to get to the sensor. I chose the cheap fix, and it's still working fine.
Redesigned Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-05, 03:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car 1: Acura Legend L

srslights reset

I have a 1999 RL and my SRS lights stays on while driving
what cheap fix?
How did you reset your srs light in your RL
kcordius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-06, 11:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

My SRS light is on. Do anybody know how to receive the SRS code?
sycchoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-06, 11:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

The SRS light can be diagnosed and read just like the ABS or check engine light. Start by using a paper clip or wire and inserting the two ends into the two holes in the blue service connector under the glove box. Turn the ingition to on(II) and count the blinks. The code 2-1 would be 2 long blinks and 1 short. Let me know what code you got so we can diagnose it properly.
petthepeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-06, 08:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Petthepeep:

Thanks for your quick response but I've reset the SRS light the second time before seeing your response. I note that one of the battery terminal was partially covered with corrosion deposit and I suspect that the light was set due to excessive voltage drop as both times I started cranking the engine before the SRS light went off during the self diagnose test. I have cleaned the battery terminals and now wait until the SRS light goes off before cranking the engine. So far, the problem has not reappeared yet.

By the way, do you have a list of the SRS codes?
Old 03-25-06, 03:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

i dont know if this is true or not, but when i took my RL to acura to have the SRS light checked out, they told me that the reason/cause for for the SRS indicator light to light up was due to a signal interference caused by either an mp3 player, cell phone, or laptop. (which the acura told me was a common issue) the next day after acura resetted the SRS, it came back on. and its been on ever since. but my concern is, (knock on wood) god forbid, if i was to get involved into an accident, would the airbags engage?

is there another way to reset the SRS light without the SCS? i dont want to keep paying acura $80 to diagnose this.
unofficial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-06, 08:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car 1: 2K RL Black/Black

I have used the above directions to reset my SRS light 3 times and it works like a charm. The only time my SRS light comes on is when I have a missed call or a voice mail on my phone. I have gone months with out the light then I will miss a call and bing the light comes on to tell me that I missed a phone call. I am going to pull my code and post it to see what it means but I have gotten it down to a quick fix so I Doubt that I will spend any money to fix it. And no if you get in a wreck they will not fire, the whole SRS system is unarmed so no front air bags no side bags no seat tensioners nothing.

Thanks for posting the DIY on the SRS.
More later
CTD EXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-06, 07:39 PM   #11 (permalink)

Pepthedeep:

About a month after the last resetting, my SRS light came on again. The code is 94 (9 long and 4 short blinks). Could you please help to diagnose the problem?

Thanks
Old 04-18-06, 11:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

There is no code 9-4. There is a 9-1, faulty SRS indicator circuit. 9-2: faulty SRs power supply. There is also an 8-4 which, I hate to say it, but internal failure of the SRS unit. You should recount the blinks. Make sure you don't count the first time the light comes on. That is the bulb check period.
Old 04-19-06, 01:28 PM   #13 (permalink)

Thanks pethepeep for your quick response and your MIL codes for RL. I guess I must have counted the initial blink so the code should be 8-4. I've reset the code since my last post and so far the light has not come back yet.

The OPSD control unit and a couple of sensors in the passenger seat were replaced about a year ago when the SRS came on. So I don't think that it is the control unit. I've read from another the forum that Honda SRS system is well known to register SRS code any one between 5-1 to 8-6 "Internal Failure of SRS unit" due to a weak charging system.
Old 04-19-06, 08:07 PM   #14 (permalink)

The 8-4 code doesn't have a troubleshooting flow chart. It simply says faulty SRS unit....replace it. If your car is giving you that code, than thats that. The only other thing I can suggest if you don't want to jump into all that right away, is to take it to Acura and let them diagnose it properly. It will probably cost you $40-$100 to have them do it, but considering the SRS unit is $1000, you should find out exactly what is wrong. Sorry I can't be of more help, but thats all the service manual says. Let me know how things turn out.
Old 04-23-06, 04:54 PM   #15 (permalink)

I've just received a letter from Acura Canada that, due to defects in the manufacturing process, the warranty period for the front seat belt bunkles, the OPDS control unit and OPDS senors is extended to 10 years and 240,000km.

Does any one in the states got the same letter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura RL > First Generation RL (1996-2004)