What is the tranny problem with the 6's? - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura RL > First Generation RL (1996-2004)

First Generation RL (1996-2004)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-29-08, 06:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
What is the tranny problem with the 6's?

I feel the tranny shifting hard when I am around town 25 -35mph for more then 20min. I really notice it thump when I am going off the highway and slowing down to city speeds. Some times it with thump so hard you'll think you hit something. I have also had the transmission just not shift on quick acceleration onto the highway and other situations. Is like the tranny just freezes all together and you have to let off the gas and wait a second then try again. That has taken a really bad turn as it has almost led to an accident while trying to merge on to the highway.

My car is a 1999 with 99k miles. I am taking it in to replace the SRS sensors while there still on warranty so I was going to open a claim about it while I was there. I am told the process will take 6 months and Honda isn't admitting to there problem so they may not even fix it.

Anyone know for sure the problem and the symptoms? Is this process really that long? I have a car because I need my car so I cant just not have a car for 6months... Any other solutions to the problem?
stress is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-08, 08:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car 1: 2000 RL
Car 2: 85 RX-7 GSL-SE

Consumers Report reliability ratings for used Acura RL's shows that transmission problems for the RL in both major and minor categories appear in less than 1 to 2 percent of all vehicles. When was the last time your trans fluid was flushed and refilled? Some owners have done the "flush and refill" twice to ensure transmission operates smoothly.
2000RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-08, 06:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
ビップスタイル Heavy Hitters

Car 1: 2004 3.5RL
Car 2: 2001 3.5RL
Car 3: 2009 Cayenne S

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to OneBadNA1NSX
DO NOT FLUSH..... Drain and refill only..
OneBadNA1NSX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-08, 01:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
ACL

Tranny mount breaks as well. That adds to harsh shifting, but not to not shifting at all.
ACL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-08, 06:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

verdict on Flush vs drain refil

i have a 98 rl that just popped a p0740 code, torque converter clutch circuit malfunction. checked the fluid level and it was almost not even on the stick. I filled the reservoir and am wondering - if i should worry about the torque converter or solenoid. Autozone says its dealer only and i dont have that kind of money, should i Flush and refill or drain and refill and disconnect the battery and see how she drives?
riordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-08, 09:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car 1: 2000 RL
Car 2: 85 RX-7 GSL-SE

I was in error in my earlier post. Acura only recommends the "drain and refill" of transmissions. As BadNA1NSX noted in his post "NO FLUSH." Some members drain and refill and drive a few hundred miles with new fluid to clean transmission internals and then perform another drain and refill with new fluid. Many report greatly improved shifting after this process. Hope this works for you.
2000RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-08, 10:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Fluid level is up to specs and the fluid was done at 90k. I pulled out my receipt so I thought I would share..

I am reading this off of the receipt for the 90k service:

89,092k Miles: 90k Service Preformed
Transmission Pan Screen/ Gasket Replaced
Acura/ Honda Alternative Synthetic ATF Fluid (Mobile 1)
6 point external transmission inspection

The Acura dealer did the service so I am assuming they just drained and filled. I am going to go ahead and drop it off. Hopefully I come home with a brand new RL.... I might just be dreaming.
stress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-08, 03:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car 1: 1997 RL
Car 2: 2006 MDX

I did a "drain and refill" three times in a row, with 10 minutes of hard driving inbetween (to loosen up the gunk). The difference in shift quality before and after was night and day. It use to clunk BAD on the 1st to 2nd upshift, but now it is as smooth as butter everytime. Try this first...then go to the stealer-ship if that doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000RL View Post
I was in error in my earlier post. Acura only recommends the "drain and refill" of transmissions. As BadNA1NSX noted in his post "NO FLUSH." Some members drain and refill and drive a few hundred miles with new fluid to clean transmission internals and then perform another drain and refill with new fluid. Many report greatly improved shifting after this process. Hope this works for you.
Rower4VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura RL > First Generation RL (1996-2004)