Potential Legend Buyers Please Read This First "buyer Beware" - Page 6 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > The Marketplace > Cars For Sale > Legends For Sale

Legends For Sale Post your Legend, RL, or other for sale in this category.

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 05-09-07, 12:24 AM   #76 (permalink)
Insert key, crank, BHG.

Car 1: '92 LS "December"
Car 2: 6MT Canterbury Coupe

iTrader Score: 16 reviews
If the legend is over 90000 miles, ask about the TB and WP, ask for any records he has too. The head gaskets don't need to have been replaced, they can last for any long or short amount of time, its really more of a roll the dice thing. The better taken care of the car is, the better chances various things will be including the HGs. But do the driving test recommended to the letter in the original post in this thread and you'll be fine.

I think OEM is the best look. I just don't happen to think any of the various arrangements of OEM got it exactly right all at once
Pinyix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-07, 11:56 AM   #77 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Is the BHG a problem in 1st gen legends too?
Are there certain years of 2nd gens that exhibit the problem more than others?

Thanks
ephisino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-08, 05:15 PM   #78 (permalink)

Car 1: 95 Legend LS sedan
Car 2: 2003 50thAE Corvette
Car 3: 1989 Chev K5 Blazer

Thumbs up

Thank you!

I'm back in the market for another Legend and your post made me aware of a potential problem! I was previously unaware of the problem.

Thanks!!!

TriggerCreep is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-08, 09:08 AM   #79 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetdoc View Post
You are looking for a 2nd gen Legend and you think you have found one at a great price. You go look at it and it looks great, better than you thought, a great combination of luxury and power at a fair price. You test drive it about two miles down to the local grocery store and back. That's all it takes to know that this car is special. What a deal. Why would anyone want to sell a car like this? you ask yourself. You buy it and proceed on your way.
About a week later while out with your favorite girl or "other" and notice the temp gauge acting erratic. The next day you get on the internet and look for an answer. You find Acura-Legend.com :: Acura Legend Forum :: Acura RL Forum and make your first post. It will look something like this:

"I recently purchased a 95 Legend LS and have been searching the forum for misc. repairs I may need to do if the previous owner didn't take care of their car properly. I have been reading alot of threads about BHG and I think I have one but I'm not sure. My temp guage sometimes reads overheating and the RPMs go up and down. There is no coolant leak. Also, usually when idling, my heater sometimes blows cold air. From what I've read it sounds like a BHG, but I'm not sure. I was wondering what you all thought."

Over the past few months I have read a new post simular to this one at a rate of about 3 per week. Unbeknown to the new Legend owners, These cars have HEAD GASKET PROBLEMS. Owners/dealers are selling these cars with known problems. The problem is not very noticable and most "excited new owners" think it is a simple fix. It's not! You will spend a lot of $$$ trying to diagnose it only to find out it's got a bad head gasket that can only be repaired by removing the heads-$$$$-$2000 + and replacing the headgaskets.

If you are looking for a Legend to buy you must:

1. Do a complete test drive. Drive it at least 10 miles or more on the interstate at highway speed. After the test drive let it run for 5-10 minutes at idle. "MONITOR the temp gauge constantly during the test drive". Once it reaches normal temp it should not move any. Any movement of the temp needle after reaching normal temp is a "RED FLAG". Normal temp is about 1/3 up from the bottom of the range. If it doesn't come up to normal temp it could be an indication that the thermostat has been remove to relieve the overheating symptoms enough to sell it.
2. ASK the tough questions. "Has this car had ANY overheating problems?" Tell them you are aware of the headgasket problems with this model. Watch their reactions to the tough questions. Ask for a 3-5 day warranty on any overheating problems, write it in the bill of sale. Take it on a long trip within those 3-5 days.

I'm not making this up or being "paranoid". It's real. You will find yourself on the Headgasket Highway if you don't heed this warning.

BUYER BEWARE

2/13/06-
Its funny I am a backyard mechanic.I do most of my work in my garage, but before becoming a member of this site I did the instruction posted above and I still got screwed on the legend I bought. I test drove tha bitch for 6 miles up and down the highway and still no overheating problem,until 3 days later so u never know what ur buying
white_legend_93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 05:18 PM   #80 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Diaz View Post
I replace head gaskets for $1250 if somebody brings me either an engine or a car. That's including gaskets, and milling the heads flat. I can get it done in 2-3 days if my schedule isn't booked up.
I will also be willing to replace Head Gaskets at this price. Would normally do it a little less expensive but I don't want to undercut Mike. Just throwing this out there if anyone needs repairs and can't make it to Ohio and I may be closer. Again, it does include a complete gasket kit from Head gasket up as well a machining the heads. Just send a PM to Mike or Myself.
91 legend TI Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 05:01 PM   #81 (permalink)

Car 1: 93 LS canterbury 4dr / 91 LS blck pearl 4dr
Car 2: 94 GS 6spd sher grn
Car 3: 95 LS 2dr milano red

Quote:
Originally Posted by beav View Post
You can add me to the list, bought an otherwise mint 93 legend last week and after putting around 400 miles on it I have discovered it pushes about a cup of antifreeze into the overflow every 100 miles or so. I was pretty thorough on the test drive and personal inspection and could not even tell. Its was not bad enough to notice on a 25 minute test drive and the temp only climbs after idling a few minutes after driving it around all day, no smoke at all or any other red flags. The only way I would have been able to tell on this car is to empty the overflow or mark it carefully and drive around for several miles and then there will be at least a few tablespoons of water in the overflow. I should be able to handle the headgaskets myself once the weather gets a little warmer but it is a pain because I have two turbo civics that already take up all my free wrenching time and the only reason I bought this car was so I would have something that did not need any work. I am guess I am getting the full legend experience .

where you at in the big O man me and a buddy have been doing legend HG jobs the past couple years, it seems like you know what your doin but if you need any help give us a shout...
2jdvolkman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-09, 01:05 AM   #82 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 Twilight LS
Car 2: 1992 White LS
Car 3: 1991 Intergra GS

i bought legend with bhg. replaced engine. dumb move? still have overheating issues
AC RGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-09, 09:33 PM   #83 (permalink)

good stuff
bigcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-09, 02:12 AM   #84 (permalink)

Car 1: 1994 Acura Legend GS
Car 2: 2010 Acura TL SH-AWD
Car 3: 1993 Acura Legend LS

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Well today well now it was yesterday I was told the grim news that my wonderful child of 8 1/2 years has a gasket leak and is possibly blown. As most have said the cost is EXPENSIVE (quoted $2700 + tax) and the labor is also EXTENSIVE. The problem being you have to tear it down to start working on the issue and the head may not HAVE to be milled but that is the proper proceedure. I've put 160K on mine and that is in addition to the 102K that the car originally had. I'd LOVE to keep it but the cost isn't justified by the cars value. I cared for mine like someone nearly crazed and the signs were not particularly noticeable and then SURPRIZE I'm going to run hot VERY HOT! I had the day before gone to a Legend meet and it was about 4 hours worth of driving round trip (on the INTERSTATE) and the car was stellar. I can't speak for what others have done but I won't try sticking ANYONE without giving them FULL disclosure on my car. I have all the records and would HATE being and wouldn't do that to anyone. After all Legend owners should be gracious to the ones who "adopt" our babies!
clb26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-09, 02:20 AM   #85 (permalink)
sap

Car 1: 92 LS Sedan AT
Car 2: 93 L Coupe 6MT :(
Car 3: 86 Camaro IROC Z

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sap
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb26 View Post
Well today well now it was yesterday I was told the grim news that my wonderful child of 8 1/2 years has a gasket leak and is possibly blown. As most have said the cost is EXPENSIVE (quoted $2700 + tax) and the labor is also EXTENSIVE. The problem being you have to tear it down to start working on the issue and the head may not HAVE to be milled but that is the proper proceedure. I've put 160K on mine and that is in addition to the 102K that the car originally had. I'd LOVE to keep it but the cost isn't justified by the cars value. I cared for mine like someone nearly crazed and the signs were not particularly noticeable and then SURPRIZE I'm going to run hot VERY HOT! I had the day before gone to a Legend meet and it was about 4 hours worth of driving round trip (on the INTERSTATE) and the car was stellar.
I'd be surprised if $2700 is the cheapest you can get a good head gasket job done for. Milling the heads is definitely a good idea if you decide to get it fixed .

Quote:
I can't speak for what others have done but I won't try sticking ANYONE without giving them FULL disclosure on my car. I have all the records and would HATE being and wouldn't do that to anyone. After all Legend owners should be gracious to the ones who "adopt" our babies!
Well put. I like to think that the majority of members here would agree with that, but I also know that some members here have been screwed over by other members who knew about a BHG and hid it when selling .

Visit the Legend Wiki
sap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-09, 09:36 PM   #86 (permalink)

Car 1: 1995 Canadian Blk/Blk LS Coupe
Car 2: 1990 Honda Accord LX
Car 3: 1995 White KA7- SOLD

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
$2700 is too high for a HG job. I was quoted $1100 for my car and $1400 for a engine swap, so I went with the swap cuz it was a better value and gave me peace of mine. I think you should keep it and do a 3.5 swap on it. Especially if you're thinking about selling it and getting another one.

1995 Canadian Black on Black LS Coupe
3.5 swap|SR5Guy Stage 3 Chip|12K HIDs|Cathode Trunk Mod|Custom Projector Fogs|OBX Shift Knob|SRI|NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
ACK N UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 01:21 AM   #87 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACK N UP View Post
$2700 is too high for a HG job. I was quoted $1100 for my car and $1400 for a engine swap, so I went with the swap cuz it was a better value and gave me peace of mine. I think you should keep it and do a 3.5 swap on it. Especially if you're thinking about selling it and getting another one.
Well I'm going to try a connection of mine and see if I can stay in the $2000-$2500 range with the engine AND transmission swap. I have a GS so only a type II is going in there. A 3.5 swap isn't what I'm interested in. My V-TEC 3.2 is PLENTY friggn fast (better than my mother's 3.5 RL IMHO) and I don't have to make ANY mods. Should I do this I'm KEEPING my Legend! The body is nearly FLAWLESS and should you look up the last ATL meet the white one with the chrome wheels and factory Legend "bra" covering the hood nose is my car. Plus with the recently done KONI reds installed at all 4 corners and new front brakes (caliper, rotors and pads, master cylinder, ALL brake lines and fluid) and the ADCO sway bar up front (we won't discuss the rear sway bar debacle but I have that in the basement ready to go on as well) and a recenty purchased front strutt tower bar awaiting delivery. Add a Bosch racing alternator and a ton of audio gear that was ready to be installed... Well I think I've made my point.
Old 06-08-09, 02:02 AM   #88 (permalink)
sap

Quote:
My V-TEC 3.2
I hope you were kidding

Visit the Legend Wiki
Old 06-09-09, 01:22 PM   #89 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sap View Post
I hope you were kidding
Kidding about what? You do know what a GS type II motor is right? Why do you think people swap the type I with the type II? The 3.5 is decent but doesn't have that nice formula 1 scream to it. Not to mention it was geared with a good bit lower redline. I don't care for my mothers 98 RL. It's good for her SUPER slow style of driving. I however am not a 'grandma' like she is literally. The newer 3.5 is likely improved but I KNOW the Legend gets better fuel economy HANDS DOWN!
Old 06-09-09, 01:41 PM   #90 (permalink)
sap

Quote:
Kidding about what? You do know what a GS type II motor is right? Why do you think people swap the type I with the type II? The 3.5 is decent but doesn't have that nice formula 1 scream to it. Not to mention it was geared with a good bit lower redline. I don't care for my mothers 98 RL. It's good for her SUPER slow style of driving. I however am not a 'grandma' like she is literally. The newer 3.5 is likely improved but I KNOW the Legend gets better fuel economy HANDS DOWN!
I do know what the Type II motor is, you don't (or you don't know what VTEC is). VTEC is essentially a system to have different cam profiles depending on how fast you're rev'ing the engine. No C32A (neither the Type I nor the Type II) has this capability.

Visit the Legend Wiki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > The Marketplace > Cars For Sale > Legends For Sale