Acura Legend Forum banner

'95 Legend GS - Blown Head Gasket???

5K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Jetdoc 
#1 ·
Hi,

I've got a '95 Legend GS; 84k Miles! (Used to own '86 Legend a long time ago.) Got timing belt/water pump changed early June at Acura Service. Engine started overheating a few times over summer, and dealer "bled the air out of cooling system". At end of Aug dealer told me I needed a new radiator - "pinholes"! He botched radiator replacement and nicked lower hose; lost coolant and overheated again. He admits hose error. Replace hose and all was fine till few weeks ago when needed started moving to red. Took car back to dealer and he tells me I have blown head gasket! BIG BUCKS$$$$. Got confirmation of blown head gasket from 2nd Acura dealer. Otherwise this '95 GS runs fine with temp needle slightly below center - I'm very afraid car will overheat when I least want it too.....

Questions:
1. Could bad repair of timing belt/water pump caused overheating problems? head gasket problems?
2. Should I hold dealer server accountable for head gasket repair?
3. Dealer service willing to share cost of head gasket repair. Should I trust him?

/Mikey

See less See more
#4 ·
I never had any prior major problems with this'95 Legend before the timing belt/water pump replacement. The head gasket problem makes me feel like the car may "keel over" at any moment due to other aging items around engine, even though I know the engine itself should have at least 100k more miles on it easily.

Dealer quoted me $2300-$2800 for head gasket repair. He is willing to split this with me. Told me it would take about a week for the repair work.

Any risk in driving it with blown head gasket as long as I don't let it overheat? I commute to work about 10 miles each way. I gotta find a convenient time to get the work done.

/Mikey

#6 ·
Guys,

Thanks for advice and support/ Doesn't sound like I can cause too much damage if I drive it a bit before repairs as long as I watch the gauge and make sure the coolant is topped off.

I'll negotiate best deal I can with dealer service and hold them to their promise of 12 month warranty on head gasket repair. Can they botch up anything else during the head gasket repair?????

I'm pretty much attached to this '95 GS, and don't want to part with it quite yet...(hopefully no other hidden problems of old age will show up.)

Thanks,
Mikey

#7 ·
Mikey said:
I never had any prior major problems with this'95 Legend before the timing belt/water pump replacement. The head gasket problem makes me feel like the car may "keel over" at any moment due to other aging items around engine, even though I know the engine itself should have at least 100k more miles on it easily.

Dealer quoted me $2300-$2800 for head gasket repair. He is willing to split this with me. Told me it would take about a week for the repair work.

Any risk in driving it with blown head gasket as long as I don't let it overheat? I commute to work about 10 miles each way. I gotta find a convenient time to get the work done.

/Mikey
I personally wouldn't drive around with a BHG. If the dealer is willing to share the cost with you, make sure you get the most out of it. I would try to threaten them that you will go to BBB. You can get the BHG repair done outside for $1500 but since these guys are dealership they charge more.
If there is anyway, then you should try to get the dealership to foot the entire bill.
Don't worry about the car once the BHG is taken care of. Legends are solidly built cars. Like you said you never had any problems before..and even this BHG was caused due to dealer's bad workmanship. Once the BHG is repaired, you can be rest assured.

Get the BHG repair done ASAP. You can drive around making sure you don't let it overheat.
However, keep in mind that if your heads crack, then you are looking at $1600 (I think) per head.
Get this taken care of immediately. Also, while they are working on your Legend, ask the dealership for a loaner since they are the ones that are responsible for this.

Good Luck and don't worry too much.

#12 ·
I'll trade you my 92L with a brand new head gasket job, water pump, belts(220K miles) for your blown up 95GS(84K miles).;) ;)

Find out what parts they intend to replace for $2300-$2800. Does it include a new water pump, belts, ect...? Since the water pump and belts were just replaced they may try to use them again. $2300 at the dealer usually includes several new parts plus labor. Get this straight up front. If it's just a gasket set + labor it shouldn't be $2300.

Don't forget to replace the themostat with an Acura one if you haven't done so already.

Due to your overheating issues in August I believe your car was already on it's way down the "headgasket highway", The boched radiator install accelerated things a bit.

Most Acura dealerships have done several HG jobs so they should be good at it.

Jetdoc
my BHG story

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.