ABS activating all the time - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum
 

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-26-05, 03:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
FIXER
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,717


Car 1: 1992 Legend L 265k Black(sold) 1994 Legend LS 175K Green 1967 NOVA SS Bolero Red


iTrader Score: 1 reviews
ABS activating all the time

Ok, I replaced the passenger side axle for the second time in a week.The first one had a rumble at idle and vibration at 60-75mph. The rumble and vib are gone but now my ABS is activating as soon as I go over 5 mph. It is not giving me a code, just activating when I start rolling. I guess it has to be outer knuckle of the new axle. I looked at it and noticed that the pickup doesn't line up exactly with the ABS axle serrations. The left side lines up perfect. It's like the outer axle knucle is not going deep enough into the hub. I checked the axle nut and it is tight and appears to be all the way in.
Why me......I'm stuck in axle hell.

I had to pull the ABS fuses so I can drive it. I guess I'll have to pull it apart for a third time.

Anybody had this problem before?
__________________
People are often reluctant to pay for good advice but rarely follow free advice.
Jetdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-26-05, 03:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 765


iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetdoc
Ok, I replaced the passenger side axle for the second time in a week.The first one had a rumble at idle and vibration at 60-75mph. The rumble and vib are gone but now my ABS is activating as soon as I go over 5 mph. It is not giving me a code, just activating when I start rolling. I guess it has to be outer knuckle of the new axle. I looked at it and noticed that the pickup doesn't line up exactly with the ABS axle serrations. The left side lines up perfect. It's like the outer axle knucle is not going deep enough into the hub. I checked the axle nut and it is tight and appears to be all the way in.
Why me......I'm stuck in axle hell.

I had to pull the ABS fuses so I can drive it. I guess I'll have to pull it apart for a third time.

Anybody had this problem before?
I have the same problem, I believe we need to reset the gap on the sensor to axle. Not sure but I'm sure someone will know.
Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-05, 06:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
PSA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 760


iTrader Score: 8 reviews
yup, the problem is with the axels.
__________________
PSA
PSA is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 03-01-05, 01:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
FIXER
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,717


Car 1: 1992 Legend L 265k Black(sold) 1994 Legend LS 175K Green 1967 NOVA SS Bolero Red


iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I just pulled the axle and found that the ABS ring on the axle is loose and out of position. It is supposed to be a press on fit. I'm able to move it with my fingers. This is what's causing my ABS to activate.

So I'm off to Autozone for another one.
__________________
People are often reluctant to pay for good advice but rarely follow free advice.
Jetdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-05, 04:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
FIXER
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,717


Car 1: 1992 Legend L 265k Black(sold) 1994 Legend LS 175K Green 1967 NOVA SS Bolero Red


iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Just put the third axle on the right side and test drove it. Finally, after 5 axle replacements in 7 days I have 2 good axles!
A rep from the company that overhauls the axles just called me(my neighbor is a director at Autozone) and we discussed the problems. He offered to send me 2 axles for my 94LS free. O-k. It has a torn boot on one side. Said he would hand pick the best ones...

The reason the ABS ring caused the ABS to activate was it was on crooked. One half of the ring would line up with the sensor, the other half would not, simulating a wheel lock up. This was hard to see with the axle installed, once removed it was obvious. Hope this helps someone in the future.
__________________
People are often reluctant to pay for good advice but rarely follow free advice.
Jetdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-05, 06:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 165


iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I just bought my 93 legend and I have a vibrating what I can't figure. At Park and N the car doesn't vibrate, but when I have it in drive with the pedal brakes applied i feel the vibration. A couple of times driving and i push on the gas to speed up I hear a rumbling. Can this be the axle?
anthony415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-05, 07:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Ok
Posts: 6,027


iTrader Score: 5 reviews
You could have damaged the wheel speed sensors while putting in the axles.

That or your fluid is low.
RangerJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-05, 11:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: here
Posts: 2,866


Car 1: Gynomobile


iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJoe
You could have damaged the wheel speed sensors while putting in the axles.

That or your fluid is low.
........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetdoc
Just put the third axle on the right side and test drove it. Finally, after 5 axle replacements in 7 days I have 2 good axles!
A rep from the company that overhauls the axles just called me(my neighbor is a director at Autozone) and we discussed the problems. He offered to send me 2 axles for my 94LS free. O-k. It has a torn boot on one side. Said he would hand pick the best ones...

The reason the ABS ring caused the ABS to activate was it was on crooked. One half of the ring would line up with the sensor, the other half would not, simulating a wheel lock up. This was hard to see with the axle installed, once removed it was obvious. Hope this helps someone in the future.
__________________

1994 GS (F:18 X 8.0 - R:18 X 9.0)
Volk Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-05, 05:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Ok
Posts: 6,027


iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolkRacing
........
woops, maybe i should have read his posts
RangerJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-05, 11:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
morbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 2,944


Car 1: I35 Sedan
Car 2: 2004 Lincoln LS


iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to morbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetdoc
I just pulled the axle and found that the ABS ring on the axle is loose and out of position. It is supposed to be a press on fit. I'm able to move it with my fingers. This is what's causing my ABS to activate.

So I'm off to Autozone for another one.
there's the problem right there! My understanding is that the Legend axles tend to wear away on the inner side, whereas most rebuilt or Aftermarket axles that are sold at auto parts store are remanufactured on the outside. I replaced my axels with a set from raxles.com about a year and a half ago with no problems. Raxles.com also come with a LIFETIME warranty-once they wear out you send them in and get new ones. I have been more than pleased with them!
__________________

http://ffejbomb.blogspot.com
CODEALARM CAR ALARM W/REMOTE START 4 SALE! PM OR EMAIL ME FOR INFO!!!
Keepin it real fo the SA
The Internet wasn't designed for ridicule. It was invented so researchers could share common data sets at University. It was I tell you.........it was. --Homer Simpson
morbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-06, 10:12 AM   #11 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 101


iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I had similar problem with my legend about 5 years ago when I got my axles replaced.

I've talked to Acura parts manager and he told me that refurbed axles are literally used axles with new lube and cover. I had mine replaced by midas and after replacing it, i had even worse wheel vibration. Midas told me that they replaced it, I asked them to take me under the car, I could grab the new axle and feel the movement. I told them this axle is bad, they said its good. So, I took it to the acura dealership in Cincy and they confirmed with me. Finally, Midas went thru 3 different sets to find one that was acceptable.

I don't know how things are now, but Acura 5 years ago Acura said there is no rebuilt kit for our axles. Best thing to do is make sure your CV boot isn't ripped and if its ripped, get it replaced asap. It will be cheaper as New axle from Acura (5 years ago) was $1500 each.
herblenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oh crap ~ ABS parts!!! (90K checkup) FF Drifter Second Generation Legend (1991-1995) 1 01-03-04 09:05 AM
ABS kinda fidgity RangerJoe Second Generation Legend (1991-1995) 2 05-16-03 07:06 PM
First time at the track! theGodfather Track Racing 12 05-14-03 07:11 PM
89L model ABS sensor replacement Curious First Generation Legend (1986-1990) 0 09-29-02 12:10 PM
How to disable the ABS pump? 89 Legend VXi First Generation Legend (1986-1990) 3 09-12-02 02:39 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:13 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© AutoGuide