ABS Light is on - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-06, 05:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
ABS Light is on

How do you problem solve this?
Used search but came up short.
Usually its the.....? time to change out the brakes?
ss812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-06, 06:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Glop 3:Final Battle Champion, Jewel Champion

possibly one of your sensors, jump your ecu and retreve the code from abs, the abs light will blink code
Ganjubas69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-06, 08:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganjubas69
possibly one of your sensors, jump your ecu and retreve the code from abs, the abs light will blink code

I'm familiar with the process. thanks but dont have time to do that or check the codes to see whats the problem. but thanks anyways.
ss812 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-06, 09:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

check to see if a globe is blown in your tail lights.
mine has done this befor
dhdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-06, 01:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

what is a globe in the tail light
JASON B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-06, 01:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Autobahn Champion, Drive and Dodge Champion, Highway Hunter Champion

iTrader Score: 24 reviews
naw a blown BULB in ur taillights wouldn't cause ur abs light to be on. most likly one of your abs sensors or wheel speed sensor, as its called, is bad. check the online service manual on test procedures or take it to a shop to be tested.

Alperovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-06, 04:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Air Attack 3 Champion

iTrader Score: 23 reviews
read the codes and i'll tell you which sensor it is.
maracura91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-06, 02:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car 1: 1994 Acura Legend L Sedan Auto (Black)
Car 2: 2007 Subaru WRX STI

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
My ABS light is on too ever since I bought it last summer. I have been unfortunate once to take my car to Honda service station due to severe over heating, which was because of leaked water pump. Anyhow, they said they couldn't figure out the problem with ABS and it's probably an electrical issue. The previous owner told me that his honda mechanic said the same thing. I really don't know what the problem is.
Kamrulius Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-06, 07:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamrulius Maximus
My ABS light is on too ever since I bought it last summer. I have been unfortunate once to take my car to Honda service station due to severe over heating, which was because of leaked water pump. Anyhow, they said they couldn't figure out the problem with ABS and it's probably an electrical issue. The previous owner told me that his honda mechanic said the same thing. I really don't know what the problem is.
HI my friend
I have the same problem about 3 years ago I have an acura legend 93. I went to dealer acure to check cost my over 100.00 just check . So, the tech told me my car has problem main board abs. the part cost me about 970.00 plus the labor
350.00 total I pay 1,300.00. So I love my car I go for it. they treat me like VIP you can eat donut and coke. and then you pay over 1000.00. For me,
if that light doesn't bother you forget about. just drive. So. hope this help
Do not fix something that is not important. Save that money for other thing later.
HP
hung_143hungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-06, 05:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

it's the sensor. Take it to any Acura dealer, they plug it into a computer and it goes off. Probably charge you like 100 bones though..
DRDcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-06, 05:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cole Austin

you could have low break fluid, check BOTH reservoirs... there is one on the left and right side of the engine near the firewall.
Old 04-12-06, 06:12 PM   #12 (permalink)

Car 1: 02 Audi S4
Car 2: 97 Honda Accord SE

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Items to check (some mentioned above but I repeated them for the sake of complete-ness):
* Under-Dash Fuse Box: I had a misinstalled fuse cause the ABS light to stay on. Basically, I was monkeying with the fuse box underneath the steering wheel when I was installing my keyless entry system and accidently failed to seat a fuse in correctly. If you've done work there, check it out.
* Low brake fluid level (either reservoir)
* Wheel sensors: try cleaning them first. If they give a different reading, the ABS light will come on.
* Handbrake stuck up (even just a little): If the sensors report different readings for a given speed, the ABS light will come on. This happened to me once. I just released the e-Brake, turned off the car, and the ABS light went off when I turn the car back on.
* Air in the high pressure part of the ABS system: You can bleed it with a special tool or by gently unscrewing a square shaped bleeder bolt with a bunch of rags wrapped around it to catch the fluid under pressure.
* ABS main computer: It's bolted to these support braces behind the rear seat. It's kind of a bitch but you can access it by pulling the lining back inside the trunk. They are pretty cheap on eBay (<$50) so there is no need to pay $1000 for one. If you insist on paying $$$$ for one, I'll be happy to buy one on eBay and sell it to you for $800.

---
HOWTO Disable ABS Light: Before I figured out that I put in a fuse incorrectly, I found out the best way to disable the ABS light is by unplugging the two harnesses that go into the ABS computer (amazing what you can learn by tracing the wiring diagram). With a little dexterity (and small hands), you can actually unplug two wire harnesses from inside the trunk without unbolting the four bolts that hold the ABS computer to the brace. This is a helluva lot easier than taking our your rear seat to get at the ABS computer OR disassembling your instrument cluster to remove the light. No ABS computer = no ABS so do this at your own peril.

-g

Last edited by S4gunn; 04-13-06 at 12:49 PM.
S4gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-08, 02:07 AM   #13 (permalink)
Just Another Guy

Car 1: '05 C6 Z51
Car 2: '91 Legend Coupe L
Car 3: 96 Tahoe/2005 Civic

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4gunn View Post
Items to check (some mentioned above but I repeated them for the sake of complete-ness):
* Under-Dash Fuse Box: I had a misinstalled fuse cause the ABS light to stay on. Basically, I was monkeying with the fuse box underneath the steering wheel when I was installing my keyless entry system and accidently failed to seat a fuse in correctly. If you've done work there, check it out.
* Low brake fluid level (either reservoir)
* Wheel sensors: try cleaning them first. If they give a different reading, the ABS light will come on.
* Handbrake stuck up (even just a little): If the sensors report different readings for a given speed, the ABS light will come on. This happened to me once. I just released the e-Brake, turned off the car, and the ABS light went off when I turn the car back on.
* Air in the high pressure part of the ABS system: You can bleed it with a special tool or by gently unscrewing a square shaped bleeder bolt with a bunch of rags wrapped around it to catch the fluid under pressure.
* ABS main computer: It's bolted to these support braces behind the rear seat. It's kind of a bitch but you can access it by pulling the lining back inside the trunk. They are pretty cheap on eBay (<$50) so there is no need to pay $1000 for one. If you insist on paying $$$$ for one, I'll be happy to buy one on eBay and sell it to you for $800.

---
HOWTO Disable ABS Light: Before I figured out that I put in a fuse incorrectly, I found out the best way to disable the ABS light is by unplugging the two harnesses that go into the ABS computer (amazing what you can learn by tracing the wiring diagram). With a little dexterity (and small hands), you can actually unplug two wire harnesses from inside the trunk without unbolting the four bolts that hold the ABS computer to the brace. This is a helluva lot easier than taking our your rear seat to get at the ABS computer OR disassembling your instrument cluster to remove the light. No ABS computer = no ABS so do this at your own peril.

-g
I know this is an old post but thought I'd comment on his post because of all those ABS lights on everywhere. I removed the computer and I'm shocked I didn't do this sooner. I've known that I could take apart the gauge cluster and remove the bulb, but this was much easier.

3 grommets holding the back liner in place. Then I unbolted the ABS computer using a small 10mm socket wrench, along with the bracket holding it in. I had to temporarily move a small computer unit that was attached to the top of the bracket. Its a little tight fit, but otherwise pretty easy. If your not flexible, your gonna have to remove the passenger seats.

And thank goodness...no more ABS light!!!!

-Ed
Custom CAI - sr5guy stage II chip - EGR Block - TB Bypass - Blackend's Damper - Custom 2" Y Pipe - Magnaflow Cat - 2.5" B Pipe - Type II IM - Labrat Crank Pulley - NA1 NSX Rims - ME 6000k HID. 14.99 @ 94.12 before manifold, pulley, & rims.

Though I've fallen to the Dark Side!

391whp/384wtq.
Edify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-08, 08:19 PM   #14 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 Coupe-L 5-speed

This is how to retrieve the code. Not difficult at all.

https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...927#post908927

-Tat
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)