Advice on buying a Legend with 3.5 swap - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-14, 10:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Advice on buying a Legend with 3.5 swap

Hello everyone, I had a question to ask all of you. I had an 93 and a 91 legend back in the day and my fiancée and I both still say they were the best cars we ever owned. The only issue we had were blown heads but the 93 had over 200k before it happened. I was searching cl and came across one with the 3.5 RL engine swap. He told me the bottom is the 3.5 and the top is type 2 for what I have read it is technically a hybrid. My questions are is there something I should be looking for when I go see the car? I ask this because I have no previous experience with that car with that engine setup. Second from what I have read this setup makes that car faster and more reliable. About how fast are we talking? And is it really more reliable? Any info will be greatly appreciated.
DRealist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-14, 10:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car 1: '92 Acura Legend LS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRealist View Post
Hello everyone, I had a question to ask all of you. I had an 93 and a 91 legend back in the day and my fiancée and I both still say they were the best cars we ever owned. The only issue we had were blown heads but the 93 had over 200k before it happened. I was searching cl and came across one with the 3.5 RL engine swap. He told me the bottom is the 3.5 and the top is type 2 for what I have read it is technically a hybrid. My questions are is there something I should be looking for when I go see the car? I ask this because I have no previous experience with that car with that engine setup. Second from what I have read this setup makes that car faster and more reliable. About how fast are we talking? And is it really more reliable? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

With that setup, you'd have more torque and HP. The 3.5 is less prone to head gasket failure, but any 20+ year old gasket can fail. I would want to know when the timing belt and water pump were done. We did the 3.5 swap last year, plus OBX headers and Stromung exhaust with our Type I intake and the difference is night and day. Highly recommend!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

My "free" 92 LS
LowPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-14, 01:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

[quote=LowPSI;1582697]With that setup, you'd have more torque and HP. The 3.5 is less prone to head gasket failure, but any 20+ year old gasket can fail. I would want to know when the timing belt and water pump were done. We did the 3.5 swap last year, plus OBX headers and Stromung exhaust with our Type I intake and the difference is night and day. Highly recommend!

Thank you so much for the reply I will be sure to ask about the belt and the water pump. I am supposed to see it in the morning if I get a chance. He told me I can take it to a mechanic if I want. I hope it works out.
DRealist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)