Another new Gentex mirror and Hella Micro DE installed - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-07, 01:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: '94 Blk/Blk Legend GS / Sold to Nightshift
Car 2: '07 Toyo Sienna Ltd
Car 3: '08 Lexus GS 460

iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Another new Gentex mirror and Hella Micro DE installed

Hello to all Legends lovers. I just had some free time today and decided to do some maintenance of my car like oil change, radiator flush + new OEM thermostat. After these done in the morning, I felt like not enough to take breaks so I continue to keep up with some of my unfinished DIY in the past like Gentex mirror auto dim, temp, ice alert, compass and UV index + Hella Micro DE fog lights with amber PIAA bulbs. I knew a lot members already did these, but I just want to share some more pictures with ya all. I did all wirings about a month ago for both mirror and fog lights but not enough time to install them completely.

Front bumper removed, hella micro de, temp probe & UV index were on the ground.

Fog lights turned on.

Behide front bumper

Fog lights installed and of course: fog lights cover will be drilled to fit on their places later.

Preview

Fog lights OEM switch

My most favorite Gentex mirror

Drilled hole through fire wall

Well, so far I'm myself very happy to what I did but I don't like the last picture and highly not recommend to any one because the hole I drilled a liltle far away from the driver's side fender liner, it should hide behide fender liner which I prefer but I missed alignment at first, damn it. I had to seal both ends real real good by using EPOXY.

• Gentex mirror installed (02-04-07). Hella Micro DE fog lights (03-10-07). BMW X5 smoke side markers (05-10-07). JDM 1 piece head lights w / DRL. Addco front and rear sway bars

Last edited by ptan1968; 03-11-07 at 01:49 AM.
ptan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-07, 03:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Soon to be BOOSTED!

Car 1: SOLD:91' Acura Legend Sedan LS
Car 2: 94' GS 6 Speed
Car 3: 94 GS 6 Speed(CLONE)

iTrader Score: 63 reviews
looks good! Was it hard to remove the bumper? Is there any tips you can give me for removal?

Thanks

SIG BY ALPEROVICH
MODS---ALL OF THEM!!!!!!!!

Check out my gallery!
https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...ebirth-126357/

The project...
https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...thread-120596/

Ksport Kontrol Group Buy!! $760 Shipped
https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...ed-123764-new/
emaculate94GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-07, 03:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Spiral descent

Car 1: 1994 GS 6-speed
Car 2: 1996 A6

iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via MSN to telafonic Send a message via Yahoo to telafonic Send a message via Skype™ to telafonic
Dang, looks awesome!

How is the mirror mounted, the same as OEM?

Old 03-11-07, 11:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emaculate91ls View Post
looks good! Was it hard to remove the bumper? Is there any tips you can give me for removal?

Thanks
Yes, certantly. I see you have a 94 GS like mine. Here is how to remove front bumper: very easy fella.

1. Remove fog lights cover.
2. Unscrew bumper signal lights. (Screws are hiding from the bottom to where you just removed the fog lights cover, must lay down and look up you'll see them).
3. Remove engine's protected plastic from the bottom by unscrew 3 screws in the middle, 2 on each side to hold fender liners.
4. And finally remove 2 holding bumper bolts on each side from the front next to signal lights.
5. Hold and slide out your bumper. Take your time and you can do it.

For your 91 model, I think it's almost the same concept.

• Gentex mirror installed (02-04-07). Hella Micro DE fog lights (03-10-07). BMW X5 smoke side markers (05-10-07). JDM 1 piece head lights w / DRL. Addco front and rear sway bars
Old 03-11-07, 11:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Who is THE MASTER?!

Car 1: 1991 blue coupe ---Sold---
Car 2: 1994 green LS coupe

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Dreams94coup
Can you plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz tell me how you hooked up the fogs to the factory switch.
Dreams94coup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-07, 11:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by telafonic View Post
Dang, looks awesome!

How is the mirror mounted, the same as OEM?
Thanks telafonic. No it's not the same as OEM for direct replacement. I had to modify the mounting tab from the mirror itself and leave the OEM attached on the winshield. If you interested, I can take some more pictures and also include a DIY for ya all.

Old 03-11-07, 12:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Soon to be BOOSTED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptan1968 View Post
Yes, certantly. I see you have a 94 GS like mine. Here is how to remove front bumper: very easy fella.

1. Remove fog lights cover.
2. Unscrew bumper signal lights. (Screws are hiding from the bottom to where you just removed the fog lights cover, must lay down and look up you'll see them).
3. Remove engine's protected plastic from the bottom by unscrew 3 screws in the middle, 2 on each side to hold fender liners.
4. And finally remove 2 holding bumper bolts on each side from the front next to signal lights.
5. Hold and slide out your bumper. Take your time and you can do it.

For your 91 model, I think it's almost the same concept.
Thank you very much! I think I will install my JDM's today!

SIG BY ALPEROVICH

Check out my gallery!

The project...

Old 03-11-07, 12:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjust2fast View Post
Can you plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz tell me how you hooked up the fogs to the factory switch.
Hold on I'll write it up with pics, I'll be back, gotta go and buy some baby foods.

Old 03-11-07, 12:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Insert key, crank, BHG.

Car 1: '92 LS "December"
Car 2: 6MT Canterbury Coupe

iTrader Score: 16 reviews
Very nice. Whats going on in your cluster? Is that stainless steel in there or something? I'd like to see more of that. Where you have your alarm siren mounted is ingenious. Mine is mounted on the stock sway bar pointing at the engine block... its not as loud as it could be from the outside. How hard was it to set up the mirror? I'm looking to do that. Where did you feed power from and where did you put the temp sensor?

I think OEM is the best look. I just don't happen to think any of the various arrangements of OEM got it exactly right all at once
Pinyix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-07, 03:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Spiral descent

Car 1: 1994 GS 6-speed
Car 2: 1996 A6

iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via MSN to telafonic Send a message via Yahoo to telafonic Send a message via Skype™ to telafonic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptan1968 View Post
Thanks telafonic. No it's not the same as OEM for direct replacement. I had to modify the mounting tab from the mirror itself and leave the OEM attached on the winshield. If you interested, I can take some more pictures and also include a DIY for ya all.
Yeah, that'd be cool. You don't have to write up a big DIY or anything but some pics and a short explanation of what you did would be nice. I have always wanted a temp display in the car, EDM Legends have it in the gauge cluster.

Did you paint your lower bumper trim?
Old 03-11-07, 04:04 PM   #11 (permalink)

Car 1: Honda

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Good work.
cuttie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-07, 08:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Equilibrium Champion, Javelin Throw - 6 Shot Champion

iTrader Score: 15 reviews
Very nice Phoung, it will be nice to see your legend in person on the 31st!!!! im waiting on some Hellas too, maybe they will be installed before the meet...but i dont have the newer bumper so i cant put them there...but ive got some ideas!
AustinForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-07, 08:47 PM   #13 (permalink)

Alright, I guess I'll try to answer the Gentex mirror (my favorite mod) first and second for the Hella Micro DE fog lights.

Instruction picture is from manufacture for general purpose to follow, but below are details of what I did to install the Gentex mirror.

For the Gentex mirror: options include auto dim, compass, outside temperature reading, ice elert and UV index DIY only:

Tools need:

a. Drill bits size: 17/64 (or smaller), 3/8
b. Power or cordless drill
c. Wire cutter, stripper and crimper
d. Phillip & flat head screw drivers
e. DC Volt Meter (required)
f. Electrical tapes or heat shrinks
g. Tie wraps
h. Flash light or garage working light
j. Soldering iron (if prefer)
Can't think of any more hand tools at the moment

Disconnect your negative battery terminal as for your safety, you'll be working near air bag wiring harness fuse box panel below driver's side (inside the car). Remember to restore your Bose HU code (if applicable) before disconnect your battery terminal.

You have 2 choices to drill hole through the fire wall to route temperature and UV index sensor (if applicable) wiring harness:
a. Either behide driver side fuse box panel (inside the car) (this is my option).
Later you can route this wiring harness above the driver's side fender liner & tie wrap them to existing electrical wiring harness.
b. Or below brake master cylinder (if I'm correct) wiring harness must be going through the engine compartment. (this is not my option).

1. Drill hole through fire wall (I used 3/8 drill bit)
2. Route both temp. & UV index sensors wiring harness (make sure insert them inside the PVC tube if supplies) from the front bumper under grill or license plate up through driver's side fender liner through fire wall up to driver's side A-pillar trim and finally tuck the mirror wiring harness up to headliner & slide underneath between the roof.
3. Route the power wire harness from the mirror along the A-pillar to the fuse box under driver's side panel.

Power connection preparation from the ignition wiring harness connector:

Ignition wiring harness is where I used the power from (because the mirror required +12Vdc constant and +12Vdc on/off through ignition switch). I unplugged the ignition connector to help my work easier (flat head screw driver will help you here). You can either slice the power to the mirror or solder directly to this ignition wiring harness, (just strip off the insulation to where it needed) (I soldered mine).

Ignition wiring harness sample (bad one removed from my car a while ago).

a. Black / White stripe = ground 0 Vdc
b. White = +12 Vdc constant power battery
c. Black / Yellow stripe = +12 Vdc supply switch by ignition.

Gentex mirror winshield mount tab issue: This type of Gentex mirror doesn't design for direct replacement to our Legend OEM mirror so this is why the MOD must take place.

1. Remove OEM mirror off the winshield, unscrew mirror holding SCREW + SPRING + LOCKING RING (I called) completely off the mirror. (Save these 3 CAPITALIZE items for later use on Gentex mirror).
2. Remove the original hex screw on the gentex mirror. (Notice that the OEM screw is bigger in diameter size than Gentex screw). So you need to drill a larger hole on Gentex mirror in order to fit this OEM screw over that same place.
3. To be safe, just be careful and take your times to use smaller than 17/64 drill bit size to start with and work out slowly for bigger size to fit OEM screw snugly. (Keep in mind that: it's very easy to make holes bigger than smaller).
4. Use phillip screw driver to turn this OEM screw counter clockwise from the bottom end up slowly to make new threads on the Gentex mirror.
5. When done, reinstall LOCKING RING + SPRING back in with this OEM screw on your new Gentex mirror.
6. And also notice that the remaining mounting tab on your winshield too. I saw 3 dots pop up in triangle shape (if touches by fingers) (I don't know what to call them). I guess they are there for locking purpose originally. Go ahead and file the 2 bottom ones to flat surface to help slice and clip your new mirror in place more secure and tie.

6. Don't forget to plug your wiring harness to the back of the Gentex mirror before tighten the screw.

7. Plug your ignition connector back in place (fuse box panel).

8. Finally, reconnect your negative battery terminal, turn on ignition switch, reset your HU code ... Start calibrating your new mirror by following instruction (if included).

ENJOY

BTW: Front bumper, driver's side fender & hood are dark green color picked up from the yunk yard different from the rest of my car color black. Why? involved in accident about 2 years ago. I'll have them paint matching black color later maybe this summer.

What a cheap stainless steel cluster guage face from ebay, I probably remove it when try to install the cluster guage LED.

Old 03-12-07, 01:03 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinLegend420 View Post
Very nice Phoung, it will be nice to see your legend in person on the 31st!!!! im waiting on some Hellas too, maybe they will be installed before the meet...but i dont have the newer bumper so i cant put them there...but ive got some ideas!
Thanks for your compliments austin, yah I look forward to see your legend in person too.
Old 03-12-07, 01:08 AM   #15 (permalink)
Soon to be BOOSTED!

Whats the price tag on this mirror?

SIG BY ALPEROVICH

Check out my gallery!

The project...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)