Axle replacement - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-21-05, 02:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
FIXER

Car 1: 1992 Legend L 265k Black(sold) 1994 Legend LS 175K Green 1967 NOVA SS Bolero Red

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Exclamation Axle replacement

I replaced both my axles today and took a few pics. I didn't hav a photographer available so I couldn't take any pics after I got the lower control arm disconnected.(Hands too dirty to touch the camera)
Here is a link to the pics
1. Loosen the axle nut. 36mm socket rented from Autozone. The nut is "staked" so it must be "unstaked" with a screwdriver or punch. If you can't get the axle nut loose, take it to a local shop and get the to brak them loose and then snug them back up. Loosen lug nuts.
2. Jack the vehicle and remove wheels.
3. Remove the bolt that goes through the strut fork and lower control arm.
4. Remove the cotter pin and nut at the lower control arm and lower ball joint.
I left the nut on to help keep the puller steady.
5. Use the 2 jaw puller(rented Autozone) to break the lower control arm loose from the hub assembly. This can be difficult, it may take several tries. If it doesn't come apart easy, put the puller on and get it as tight as you can without slipping off and take a break for about 15 minutes. You will hear it pop loose while you are sipping your beer.
6. Seperate the hub from the lower control arm. Remove the outer axle spline from the hub. I used the floor jack to support the hub assembly out of the way.
7. Remove the axle from the differential. This can be difficult if the axles are stuck. I used two larger screwdrivers, one on each side with equal pressure until it popped loose. I drove one in a little and then the other in a little until it came loose. To get the axle out, push down on the lower control arm and pull up on the strut fork then sle the axle shaft between them.
8. I lubed the axle splines with axle grease and inserted the spline into the differential. It should go in until it clicks."Do not drive it in like a nail". Insert the outer spline into the hub and work it in as ar as it will go.
9. Insert the lower ball joint into the lower control arm and put the nut on loose. Put the strut fork bolt and nut on loose.
10. Put the axle nut on. If it's not sticking out far enough you can tap it in by using a screwdriver behind the ABS serrations on the oute spline. Thp lightly, do not hit the boot ot damage the ABS serrations. Tap evenly on both sides until you can get the nut started. Pull it in using the nut.
11. Tighten everything up and put in the cotter pin. Install the wheels and lower the vehicle. Tighten the lug nuts and the axle nut. Stake the axle nut to the axle shaft.

I used Autozone axles because I already had Autozone axles that I had installed about 4 years ago. They were lifetime warrany. I got 2 more axles for free. I put 90K miles on them, not bad for reman. I replaced them because the were slinging grease out of the boots. The boots were not even torn, grease was just leaking out the ends of them.

UPDATE: After having problem after problem with cheap remanufactured axles I now reccomend buying NEW axles or quality remans from Raxels.com. NAPA sells new for $100. The Legend seems to be sensitive to cheap rebuilt axles.

Last edited by Jetdoc; 11-24-05 at 03:22 AM.
Jetdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-05, 04:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Great Post.
I just did mine as well. I also used a two jaw gear puller because that is what I had in the garage. I've since ordered a puller Ball joint puller
Did your left side axle slide on easily and "click" in place. I'm still not sure mine is all the way on. It looks like it is but I never heard a click when the spring clip seated. It took a lot of effort to get mine on.
Chris_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-05, 12:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
FIXER

Car 1: 1992 Legend L 265k Black(sold) 1994 Legend LS 175K Green 1967 NOVA SS Bolero Red

They were both a little stubborn to get inserted. I've driven it a couple of days and I have notice some problems. I now have a rumble/vibration at idle and a slight shimmy at 60 mph that I didn't have before the axle replacement. This has happened before when I had the driver side axle replaced. I put another one in myself and corrected it. Thursday I will jack it up and pop the inner splines out to try and isolate which one is causing the rumble. This is something I knew I might have to deal with using remanufactured axles. Since I am doing the work myself it is worth it.

Old 03-04-05, 01:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
FIXER

update is here
Old 03-10-05, 05:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

I just bought my 93 legend and I have a vibrating what I can't figure. At Park and N the car doesn't vibrate, but when I have it in drive with the pedal brakes applied i feel the vibration. A couple of times driving and i push on the gas to speed up I hear a rumbling. Can this be the axle?
anthony415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-05, 08:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

I changed the axle and the vibration is gone!
Old 04-09-05, 04:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

I ended up changing both, but you can check which one is bad if you take it apart and see if the inner cv gives some play then you need to change it
Old 02-04-06, 02:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car 1: 1994 Acura Legend LS

Hey guys got a question about the CV axle installment. I was able to remove the driver's side axle relatively easily, but when I tried to install the new axle it wouldn't go on all the way. I can't get the side that goes on the intermediate shaft to go on past a couple of cm or so. I replaced the spring clip but it seems to be fighting me to put it back on. As for the hub side, I can get it almost flush but not all the way either. Should I remove the intermediate shaft and put the axle and intermediate shaft together and then install the whole thing? Any ideas???

As for the passenger side, I'm having a lot of trouble getting out the old shaft. Should I try heating it up and then try to hit it out?

Sorry for the long post, but I'm dead in the water right now and I want to get this done. Oh btw I got my axles from Midwest Auto and it cost $180 shipped to me all the way in Hawaii. Thanks for any help
kamaka808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)