Bad Gas Mileage.... - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-28-06, 10:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Exclamation Bad Gas Mileage....

I have always had poor gas mileage...however i had the car checked over at the dealer for a BHG....not the culprit...was thinking it might be an ECU issue....i seafoamed the car....it should be a bit better....but i mean 15 mpg jus isn't right for this car...especially when you all are getting 20+.

Thanks

Matt

**edit** not to mention i drive like an 80 year old.....
TND-KA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-06, 11:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
i get just over 15 in the city... i drive my baby good usually but sumtimes i push her. idk i wish she got like 20 or so but w/e

good luck ima stay active in this thread
eddie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-06, 12:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

Unhappy thats about right.....

I usually let the car shift at about 2500 rpm on every gear....i thought that was around the optimum operating rang for maxmized mileage....plus...everytime i talk to Shaar he tells me how great his mileage is in his type 2 coupe....it is just getting annoying...

Matt

Old 10-29-06, 04:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

Check the following:

Air filter (clean and proper type/flow rate if aftermarket).

Air Intake Box (make sure nothing's stuck in it).

Tires (wear and inflation pressure).

Plugs.

EGR (I'm pretty sure a plugged EGR can reduce mileage, and a little oomph).

Use of proper grade of gasoline.

Use of proper motor oil.

Transmision and fluid (should be pink and drain/filled occasionally, see Mr.Keith's posts)

Belts: Make sure they are good and of your accessories are putting excessive drag on your belts. (i.e. AC stuck on, Waterpump, tensioner, etc...)

Make sure your not hauling 200lbs of crap in your trunk.

Let off the lead foot.

That's all I can think of right now. Point being, make sure the car is in optimum running condition, your shift point is not going to make as big a difference as the fact that the vehicle is in good shape mechanically: Engine is getting enough oxygen, drivetrain is healthy and lubricated properly, tires are straight and inflated properly, your not dragging a sack of dead puppies behind you car, etc...
TLReaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-06, 10:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thumbs up Operating Condition.......

Yeah...everything as far as operating condition is fine....i have got to check the EGR though. The car had its 180k service about 7k ago....by a highly trusted shop (been working on our hondas/acuras for 15 years)......all the belts/hoses were changed, i just can't imagine why my milage sucks soooo bad...but i'll check the EGR...

Thanks

Matt
Old 10-29-06, 12:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

lol....racer

I have tried driving like that before and i get more like 13 MPG....OUCH!!! thats not fair!!
Old 10-29-06, 12:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

lol....now that everything is out there....I'm kinda thinking it is the EGR...isn't there a DIY somewhere for the cleaning?

Matt
Old 11-01-06, 07:59 AM   #8 (permalink)

from the looks of it the culprit might be your wheels! and could be your mods as well, alot of that is to yield high end power, but you sacrifice alot of low end causing you to step on your gas a little more just to regain a bit of the low end.

are those 18's? check yahoo for "tire calculator" punch in the size of oems compared to your setting...

if you are even .3% over... your odometer/speedo/trip would read slower meanig if its 15mpg you might really be getting the 20, just your wheels are oversized and the readings on the trip/odo are off.

kind of like O and o the bigger O would complete a full turn in 1 sec while a little o would complete it in .6 of a sec? does that help or am i just nuts.

try to slap on some oems and see if you get the difference back.
Mike813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-06, 10:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
AKA Carlton I3anks

Car 1: "92 Acura Legend L Grey/Black
Car 2: 91LS Sedan 3.5'd!

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 91LS 3.5 Send a message via Yahoo to 91LS 3.5
I myself was getting HORRIBLE gas mileage, threw a bottle of Techron in there and BOOM! mileage is up, try it cant hurt.....
Old 11-01-06, 02:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

Clean your TB and pour some fuel injection cleaner into the gas tank. It should help.

I did it and made great improvments.

I always used 87oct fuel and get about 18.5 in city. Cruising speed about 75mph on highways. I am not a speedster like I used to be. So I don't drive my "L" hard.

However, I do run into some idiots at a stop light that are attepting to get around me before the next light, and you know.... I don't allow that. So I punch the pedal at stop lights once in a while.
Shift_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-06, 02:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Dont Catch
100m Running Champion, Alpine Escape Champion, Emergency Champion, Flash Back Champion, Home Run Champion, Kill The Pop ups Champion

Car 1: 92 Integra

iTrader Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bl420
hmmm another suggestion... clean your o2 sensors... either buy new ones or torch your current ones..

**Anti Alpine Type-R Thread**
bl420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-06, 02:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Premium Well Wisher

Car 1: '94 GS KA7 6MT
Car 2: '91 L KA7 4AT

iTrader Score: 20 reviews
look for the skinny bottle of Lucas fuel additive...says "burns hot" or something at the top. That stuff has always worked wonders for me and my VERY trusted mechanic recommended it. Their shop is named "Legendary Automotive"....and they just absolutely love Legends. I feel like when I put that in and fill up....that tank and about the next 2-3 tanks get much better mileage

oh and I was talking with the mechanic the other day....my gas mileage on my GS seems kinda low too. He said that the next time I was in...he'd check the TW sensor and that it was a possible culprit...what's that? I didnt have time for the explanation...

'94 GS 6MT - Apexi SAFCII, sr5guy Stage 3, Blackend engine damper, MLS Copy strut tower bar, sr79labrat pulleys, OBX headers, custom Y-pipe, Magnaflow Cat & Resonator, Stromung catback, TB Bypass, RJ CAI w/ AEM bypass, XD/S rotors, KYB/Eibach's, RJ short shifter, ground wires

Kenwood DDX6019 w/ NAV + Ipod, Alpine Type-S speakers, 2-tone leather, JDM headlights & rain visors, Alpha Touring grill, Mugen pedals, paint job, '91-'93 OEM fogs + bumper, new OEM floor mats, 17" Konigs
GrtOutdoorsAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-06, 02:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Dont Catch
100m Running Champion, Alpine Escape Champion, Emergency Champion, Flash Back Champion, Home Run Champion, Kill The Pop ups Champion

Car 1: 92 Integra

iTrader Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bl420
the TW sensor is the temperate water sensor... or ECT engine coolant temp sensor

same thing...

**Anti Alpine Type-R Thread**
bl420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-06, 02:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
Premium Well Wisher

Car 1: '94 GS KA7 6MT
Car 2: '91 L KA7 4AT

iTrader Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bl420 View Post
the TW sensor is the temperate water sensor... or ECT engine coolant temp sensor

same thing...
Thanks 420...I'll speak with him more and see what he meant. I want 400 miles per tank dammit!

'94 GS 6MT - Apexi SAFCII, sr5guy Stage 3, Blackend engine damper, MLS Copy strut tower bar, sr79labrat pulleys, OBX headers, custom Y-pipe, Magnaflow Cat & Resonator, Stromung catback, TB Bypass, RJ CAI w/ AEM bypass, XD/S rotors, KYB/Eibach's, RJ short shifter, ground wires

Kenwood DDX6019 w/ NAV + Ipod, Alpine Type-S speakers, 2-tone leather, JDM headlights & rain visors, Alpha Touring grill, Mugen pedals, paint job, '91-'93 OEM fogs + bumper, new OEM floor mats, 17" Konigs
GrtOutdoorsAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-06, 09:45 PM   #15 (permalink)

Exclamation O2 Sensor Cleaning!

Would someone please direct me in the direction of my 02 sensors...I haven't torn into the engine on the legend so i don't really know. Also...its not my foot because i drive like an old person...shifts at 2500 rpm consistantly. Also...even before i got the 17" wheels (is300) wheels put on i got about the same milage. I'm so confused....help if you can please!

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)