Battery blew up. No damage - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-06, 11:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
FIXER

Car 1: 1992 Legend L 265k Black(sold) 1994 Legend LS 175K Green 1967 NOVA SS Bolero Red

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Battery blew up. No damage

I drove home from work this morning(Night shifter) and stopped by my wifes coffee shop www.thecommongroundcoffee.com I went inside for about 10 minutes, came out and tried to start my 94Ls. When I turned the key to start I heard a loud "pop" and noticed smoke start to boil out from under the hood. I stared in disbelief and wondered where the closest fire extiguisher was. The smoke stopped after about 10 seconds and I got out and popped the hood. The only thing I noticed wrong was one of the battery caps was off and a little battery acid on top of the battery. I put the cap back on and got in and turned the key to "on", nothing, completly dead.
I drove the wifes car home, got some tools and a multimeter and drove back to the shop. I removed the battery and checked the voltage of it out of the car. 12.85 volts. hmmmmm. Was it the battery or something else? I had seen this before when I worked at Sears auto center battery department way back in 1985.
A battery can short out internally,. It will read good voltage with no load but die when loaded down. I took it to Autozone. It was a Duralast, 2yrs old with a 7 yr warranty. They put the tester on it and after about 5 secons of being under a load it dropped to 1 volt. I paid the $16 pro rate for the new battery and installed it in my car. With the new battery installed I started it up and checke the voltage. Alternator was charging perfect at 14.35 volts. I was concerned that the alternator was overcharging causing it to produce hydrogen gas thus causing the explosion. Everything checks good so I guess it was just a bad battery.
Advertisement

Old 09-08-06, 01:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Textbook example of how to deal with and diagnose a problem. Well done, and hey! it coulda been a lot worse if battery acid had been dispersed to other areas of the engine bay.
Tinkindling is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)