a/c squeeling on start-up - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-18-06, 05:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
a/c squeeling on start-up

My 92 has a very high pitched squeeling noise when I turn the a/c on. It will go away immediately when I turn the switch off. The noise will go away after about 1- 1/2 minutes after turning the a/c on and the car cools off nicely so I know it is working.

I have a two year belt on there and the belt tension is fine (I just checked it). This leads me to believe that the compressor is starting to go bad. Has anyone had issues with theirs? How difficult and expensive are they to replace?

I am familiar with the old style GM Delco compressors (big mommas) but not the ones in Honda/Acura cars so any hints, tips, or advice is appreciated.

Gary
GaryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-06, 05:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ace Blackjack Champion, Crazy Cars Champion

dam that sucks.... try putting a little bit of silicone on the belt.... The stuff that u use to lubricate the slide pins in the brake caliper.... works 4 a temp fix... i think ac compressors are a nice hunk of change... could be wrong...
5speed4door is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-06, 05:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
***ned

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Actually sounds more like either your tensioner pulley or the A/C clutch.
1_Hot_Legend_LS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-06, 05:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 13 reviews
I'm with 1hotlegendL on this one. Pull your belt off, and check both the tensioner pully and the AC clutch. Check for any wobble, sounds, squeaks, squeals, etc... You could lube it up if you want to to eliminate the squeal, but thats just a temporary fix for a sound, not a temporary fix for a problem.
slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-06, 09:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Bugs Bunny:The Island Of Dr. Moron Champion

Car 1: 1991 Vineyard Gray LS KA7 (Sold)
Car 2: 1997 Chevy 1500 WT
Car 3: Sold the 92 type II

iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Mine was doing the same thing. I just had my mechanic adjust the tension and it's fine now.

Check me out at:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/833911
C-Dog 91LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-06, 02:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car 1: 91L KA8 auto Frost White
Car 2: 93LS KA8 6spd Gold

when my brother had the car, it did that everytime. He never fixed it and now when he gave me the car, do ac doesnt work (it doesnt squeak anymore either). I want to know what the problem is so i can get it fixed without getting ripped off.
LA Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-06, 09:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Hot_Legend_L
Actually sounds more like either your tensioner pulley or the A/C clutch.
Hmm, as much as I know about this car, and I do all of my own work, I wasn't aware that it had a belt tensioner. I thought these were mostly for serpentine belts and, of course, my car has separate belts. I will check it out.

Does anyone have photos of the compressor and clutch? Too much garbage under the hood to see things clearly.

Gary
Old 06-20-06, 09:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

I just did a search for a/c clutches and they are $180 for a reman unit. Holy cow!
Old 06-20-06, 10:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

hey i have clutch somewear if you need it its yours FREE
bebka_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-06, 11:54 AM   #10 (permalink)

Back to basics for me! Found a loose belt. The belt tensioner bolt had somehow backed off a bit.

Based on the comments, I decided to start from square one. I looked, found a belt tensioner, and the adjuster bolt had worked loose. The belt that I THOUGHT was the a/c belt was the PS belt.

Duh!

Gary
Old 06-20-06, 09:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
***ned

Well, if your A/C is not working now then it sounds like the bearings in the compressor finally said . Probably going to need a compressor. But I would do some tests to see if the clutch is still good. All you do is unplug the lead to the clutch and give it some power. If it don't kick it then the clutch is bad. If it does kick in and makes a load of noise, then the compressor is no good.
Old 06-20-06, 10:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ace Blackjack Champion, Crazy Cars Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Hot_Legend_L
Well, if your A/C is not working now then it sounds like the bearings in the compressor finally said . Probably going to need a compressor. But I would do some tests to see if the clutch is still good. All you do is unplug the lead to the clutch and give it some power. If it don't kick it then the clutch is bad. If it does kick in and makes a load of noise, then the compressor is no good.

off topic sorry but Bebka 8 got u beat on the spedo...
5speed4door is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-06, 11:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
***ned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5speed4door
off topic sorry but Bebka 8 got u beat on the spedo...
Once I replace my inner and outer tierod ends I will get a higher one. I don't want to push it with loose frontend parts. And I won't snap a connecting rod like he did. Cause from the looks of that picture he was holding that camera really steady. Hmmm, at about 150mph and a picture that is not blured to all hell......I say the car was on jackstands. That would be why the rod blew, the engine was freespinning.

Back on topic now.
Old 06-21-06, 10:01 AM   #14 (permalink)

i did go 150mph down the hill dow, and try to put your camra on STEERING WHEEL and youll get porfect pic,trast me on that one coz yea car did vibrat a lil but the camra did too, so yea try that next time
and yea about jackstands, first time i got my car on jackstands when i start rebilding my engine and that was after i snapt piston rod
bebka_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-06, 01:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
***ned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebka_8
i did go 150mph down the hill dow, and try to put your camra on STEERING WHEEL and youll get porfect pic,trast me on that one coz yea car did vibrat a lil but the camra did too, so yea try that next time
and yea about jackstands, first time i got my car on jackstands when i start rebilding my engine and that was after i snapt piston rod

I'll have to try that cause usually when I take a pic when moving it comes out like this:

I got lucky with the profile pic. I actually found a smooth spot on the FL Turnpike. :lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)