Claybar DIY (56K unfriendly) - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

╗ Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-04, 05:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: KA7 Legend sedan, 5 speed manual

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Talking Claybar DIY (56K unfriendly)

Okay I had to hack down this DIY hardcore because this forum limits the number of pictures to ten. BOO. Anyways ~

How to clay bar your car (make it really really nice looking and impress all your friends/boss/dog/etc.) ~

First, you've gotta have the right materials. That means buying a claybar kit such as the Mother's "California Gold" kit I bought at AutoZone for about $20. It'll have the claybar (duh), a bottle of "lubricant," and usually a little car wax too. You can use whatever kit you want, but I use the Mother's kit because it smells really really good also have a clean rag handy, preferably something that won't scratch up your car.

It also helps if you've got a clean car. I just finished washing my car thoroughly, so it's nice and clean. Please don't try claying a dirty car ~ it will look like crap and people all over the world will make fun of you. This do-it-yourself article is about claying your car; not washing it, so if you need help washing you car I'll make a DIY article about that some other time. So make sure your car is clean before going on to the next step.

The directions on the instant detailer/lubricant will tell you to spray a 2ft x 2ft area with lubricant. This kinda works, but I recommend you spray a slightly smaller area. Hold the lubricant/instant detailer about 1.5ft away from the surface of the car ~

And spray. A fine mist over a 1.5ft x 1.5ft area is perfect. This doesn't have to be exact, and the point is just to get some wetness on your car (hell, even water works) but I'm a perfectionist and this is how I do it.

Now you take that little slab of clay and rub it lightly across the wet area. Back and forth/left and right, hey, whatever works for you. You don't need to press really hard, so save your energy for waxing afterward . You'll feel a "grainy" feeling as you rub your car with the clay. Depending on how crappy your car's condition is, this feeling can vary from "sandpaper and steel wool" to "smooth as a baby's ass." If your car feels really rough; fret not ~ that's the clay bar picking all the pollutants and dust and crap that is stuck in your car's finish. You're exfoliating your car.

Keep rubbing the clay over the area until it feels as smooth as a mirror (it'll look like one too). You can spray more lubricant over the area if it starts getting dry. I spray a ton of lubricant when I clay my car 'cuz a) it smells really good *Mother's Instant Detailer*, b) it makes it easier, and c) it smells really good. Oh I already said that huh? I've gotta stop sniffing this stuff.

After the area feels smooth, wipe the excess lubricant off with a cloth.

Yeah, I really used a lot of lubricant. Anyways, move on to the next area and repeat the process. You'll find that horizontal surfaces take a lot longer to do than vertical surfaces since more dust collects on horizontal panels of your car. Pay special attention to the hood, the roof, and the rear bumper of your car (especially if that bumper sticks way out, like the Legend's).

And when your clay bar looks noticeably dirty, just fold it in half and flatten it out again, so you always have fresh clay to work with. If at any point, you drop your clay on anything dirty (ie ground, little brother's hair, etc.), you're supposed to throw it away and get another clay bar. That's slightly expensive, so I just cut the dirty part off with scissors. That kind of money could be put to better use buying condoms or something.

If your car has any sculpted body panels, like the Legend's hood, make sure to push the claybar into those angled surfaces. Hey it's clay after all, so you can squeeze it into whatever shapes you need to match the surfaces of your car.

For gaps between body panels (like between doors, your bumpers, or for the area around your headlights or something) shape a little wedge with your clay...

And jam it into that gap. Make sure not to flatten it too much or stuff it in too deep. You don't wanna get loose clay stuck in there. Picking it out with toothpicks is a real pain.

Oh by the way, a clay bar should last two ~ three claying sessions, depending on the size of your car and how dirty it was. My old G20 dirtied a whole clay bar on its very first time, but my Legend (which is considerably cleaner) can go through three clay sessions on just one bar. If you've never done this to your car before, count on using up a whole clay bar the first time around.

To store the clay, spray a piece of plastic wrap with the lubricant, then wrap the clay in it. You don't have to put it in the fridge or anything, but keep it out of reach of people who might eat it. It doesn't taste very good; don't ask how I know.

Once you get your car clayed all over, make absolute sure that you wax your car. Not waxing your car after a clay bar treatment is like using the toilet and forgetting to pull up your pants. You've gotta finish the job. Wax your car.

Finished product and I washed my neighbor's Lexus too ~

Neighbor's Lexus GS300, and those are 20-inch D'Vinci rims with 235/35/20 Falken Azenis.

Okay, enough of that. Hope you learned something from this DIY. Now go out and love your car! :p

*note: this pics were taken with my phone so they may not be the best quality. If however, you think they're really good quality considering it was taken by a phone, then credit goes to Audiovox for making the CDM-8900 so awesome*

-8000K HID low-beams/PIAA Spark 8000 high-beams/PIAA Plasma GT-X corners
-Type II brakes/some weight reduction/new tires every 4-6 months
-NA1 NSX wheels: Kumho Ecsta SPT 225/50V-16R in front, Kumho Ecsta ASX 205/60V-15R in rear
-Custom built six-puck kevlar clutch/Lightened (aluminum) pulleys
-[Mugen/Showa] suspension with remote-adjustable dampers
-C35A1/C32A1 hybrid swap; smog legal (by GreenLight Auto)
FF Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-04, 05:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
nice work. You should try meguiars NXT wax instead of that mothers. It'll give u an ultimate shine like u never seen b4.
imaginasian vboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-04, 01:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Good lord thats a beautiful shine. How long did that take?
HiTek21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-04, 05:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

Now that its clean, your ready for some Finish First. This stuff makes your paint explode with gloss after just one coat. I've got about 9 coats on mine and it looks killer.
ZiggyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-04, 05:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Chopper Challenge Champion

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
great job man!
STICKY THIS!!
Banana! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-04, 08:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Pendíng

Car 1: 1991 Black LS Sedan

Re: Claybar DIY (56K unfriendly)

Quote:
Originally posted by FF Drifter
Keep rubbing...used a lot of lubricant...dirty...condoms....jam it into that gap...stuff it in...pull up your pants.

Well, other than your blatant perversion, that was a very nice DIY.
Patent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-04, 09:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
B+O
I'van der Rohe
Towers of Hanoi Champion

Car 1: why?

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to B+O
good stuff fred

makes me want to go and do it...

[email protected], im mad you found all of those LOL
B+O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-04, 09:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
legend status

Car 1: 1995 6spd coupe

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to acc-unit
nice dyi, thanks , car looks sweet
acc-unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-04, 09:43 AM   #9 (permalink)

Car 1: KA7 Legend sedan, 5 speed manual

Re: Re: Claybar DIY (56K unfriendly)

Quote:
Originally posted by Patent

Well, other than your blatant perversion, that was a very nice DIY.
Hey I only mentioned the condoms. I will admit I'm far from innocent, but give me points for being extremely subtle about it

-8000K HID low-beams/PIAA Spark 8000 high-beams/PIAA Plasma GT-X corners
-Type II brakes/some weight reduction/new tires every 4-6 months
-NA1 NSX wheels: Kumho Ecsta SPT 225/50V-16R in front, Kumho Ecsta ASX 205/60V-15R in rear
-Custom built six-puck kevlar clutch/Lightened (aluminum) pulleys
-[Mugen/Showa] suspension with remote-adjustable dampers
-C35A1/C32A1 hybrid swap; smog legal (by GreenLight Auto)
FF Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-04, 12:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
I like shiny
Breakout Champion

Car 1: 91 LS Coupe (GONE)
Car 2: Current-02 Corvette
Car 3: 94 LS Coupe (Bro's)

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Good Job!!!

91LSMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-04, 12:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

Car 1: 2002 Lexus IS 300 5 speed SOLD, 2003 Infiniti M45 SOLD
Car 2: Acura Legend L 1993

Send a message via AIM to Chauffeur First
NICE DIY... Good work, it looks great

Jason
Chauffeur First is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-04, 01:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Stock Is Best
7up Pinball Champion, Grid Game Champion

Car 1: Bastard People

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Mastervtec
Nice work...and nice camera phone!!

About the clay lasting through only 2-3 times....I guess so, just to be safe. But at the dealership, we use the same clay through about 30 cars....but only the light colored cars, it puts fine scratches in the darker ones.

"I like your cane." <<< >>> LMAO. You had to be there.
CLICK!!>>> Newbie FAQ...Read It!! <<< CLICK!!
My Coupe - Sold
My New Coupe
Mastervtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-04, 02:28 PM   #13 (permalink)

Car 1: 1993 BLACK SEDAN

Send a message via AIM to LEGENDARY 93
the clay bar is great!!

and the MOTHERs does smell good!! heres a few pics i took a few days ago of my 93 LS w/ original paint. i think its sandalwood or something like that. its black with a very subtle hint of brown speckles.... its cool. I clay bar-ed then used the 3M swirl remover, then turtle wax's black wax- it aint the most expensive wax, but it covers up all the little rock chips, etc...

a pic of me on my hood's reflection

heres a pic of my hood in my garage- thats my shelf in the reflection

Old 04-03-04, 02:39 PM   #14 (permalink)

^How did you like the swirl remover and the colored turtle wax...i thought about buying some but was a little wary
88Legend_SedanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-04, 03:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Sexy Member

Car 1: 91 l sedan
Car 2: 94 gs sedan--sold
Car 3: 97 sc300

Send a message via AIM to mYbabYLeGend
wow dude, the car looks like a mirror
thumbs up
-hass

No longer carrying Darriths baby!
mYbabYLeGend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)