cleaning the iac - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-06, 02:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
cleaning the iac

what is the best way to clean the iac and with what. thanks
JASON B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-06, 03:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
MLC
LEGENDARY MEMBER

Car 1: 94 BLK/BLK COUPE
Car 2: 97 Altima GXE 5spd

what is iac?
JDM KA8 Headlights~McCulloch 5300k HID~Fiberglass Eyelids by PJ~JDM KA8 Door Sills~K&N Intake w/OEM CAB~Lightweight Pullies~Bayou Stage II Chip~Stromung B Pipe~Magnaflow Cat~Remus Spec Exhaust~Koni Kontrols~CL-S Type/Ventus 215/50/17~SS Brake Lines~Brembo/Bradi Rotors~DC Tie Bar~KMS Strut Bar~Addco Rear Sway Bar~S2000 Antenna~Shaved Trunk~Optima Redtop
MLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-06, 04:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car 1: 1995 GS Sedan

Is this the same thing as EACV - electronic air control valve?

http://www.arnach.net/service/index....&z=1371&r=0143
pasha95GS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-06, 04:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car 1: 1995 GS Sedan

It was funny the first time we heard it but I think you've about beat the cloaking topic to death..... let's move on.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkonblkcpe
Inertia after cloaking!
pasha95GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-06, 05:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Not a chance newb....cloaking device innitiated!!!!
ssilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-06, 10:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car 1: 1992 Acura Legend LS Coupe

Don't clean it with Carb cleaner. That's the best advice I can give you.
Mikey851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-06, 12:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

so whats the best way to clean it out
Old 04-06-06, 08:14 AM   #8 (permalink)

Car 1: I have no Legends Left - End of an era!

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
There are things to clean....

The best stuff that I have found is the AMSOIL Power Foam engine clean. I have used this material with phenomenal results. An Integra GSR went from an idle of 600 RPMs to 1400 RPMS with one cleaning and then I could turn the idle screw back in. Awesome stuff. You can use carb cleaner, but it is more aggressive to plastics and the control module.

Pull the intake and TracCont throttle off, pull the throttle body cover off the side (so you can get to the cables), start the car, commence to spraying the Power Foam into the throttlebody while you rev the engine to keep it from dying, aim the stream mainly at the plate and the bypass hole in the throttle body, wipe the interior of the throttle body out, put everything back together.

For an overall intake cleaning, try Seafoam. Follow the directions on the side of the bottle, just don't put any in the oil. Use it all in the gas tank and intake.

95 Legend-Less, I don't know what to do with myself....
86 CRX w/D16A Turbo
hondaman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-06, 10:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

Actually it doesn't work off of coolant at all. It's pulse width modulated and controlled by the ECU. The reason why I said don't use carb cleaner is because ^ is right that it is more aggressive to plastics etc. No, you can't use carb cleaner because you'll either ruin your IAC or shorten it's life greatly.

And guess how much a new one is, mmmm bout $300.00, so you take the risk if you want. $300.00 was the price at Autozone and Oreily's who would have to special order it. Dealership has the same price.
Old 04-07-06, 07:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

ok thanks for the replys i found out what it was i whent to a shop up here and they told me that there was something wrong with me iac becase it was jumping up and down when it was cold and that they will charge me 380.00 to get it fix i read some thing on this forum about ideling and found out it was missing antifreez. so i went a got some and put it in now this morning i started the car and it rev good with no jumping.fix it for $8.00.thank god for this site but i will be going back and sound the 5hit out of them for tying to rip me off.one of the mec at my job told me that it could need some antifreez but i didnt go by what he said becase he fixes the pepsi trucks. opps i was wrong im going to tell him he was right.
Old 04-07-06, 09:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Domesticated Redneck
Duck Hunt Champion

Car 1: 2004 TL 6-Speed

Send a message via AIM to Rumnarv
you will notice an idle air control problem when your car won't idle at all. It will run all day long w/ your foot on the gas but as soon as you remove it bam it dies. All that IAC motor does is open a small air passage around the throttle plate to allow the engine to idle. If you want to see what i'm talking about then unplug it and try and get your car to idle. Jumping idle on a honda is usually not an IAC problem. Personally I've never had to replace an IAC on a Honda before, so that being your problem is highly unlikely. Usually only Chrysler and Ford products suffer from this.

No Mods
Rumnarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-06, 10:16 PM   #12 (permalink)

remove IAC/EACV
GM top end cleaner/carb cleaner/CLEENZ, fill both ports.
let sit overnight.
berge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-06, 03:38 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by berge
remove IAC/EACV
GM top end cleaner/carb cleaner/CLEENZ, fill both ports.
let sit overnight.
Funny everyone I've ever heard say anything about the IAC has always said to NEVER use carb cleaner or anything else that is as caustic. Don't take this advice please, it may work, in fact it probably will but at least use Intake manifold/ throttle body cleaner. And yes they are different don't you dare argue with me. Who told you to do that/ who have you seen do that, some old man huh? Damn, it just pisses me off when people give advice that could be bad for your car.
Old 04-08-06, 12:35 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey851
Funny everyone I've ever heard say anything about the IAC has always said to NEVER use carb cleaner or anything else that is as caustic. Don't take this advice please, it may work, in fact it probably will but at least use Intake manifold/ throttle body cleaner. And yes they are different don't you dare argue with me. Who told you to do that/ who have you seen do that, some old man huh? Damn, it just pisses me off when people give advice that could be bad for your car.
please read the MSDS of the products I mentioned AND THEN reply back with your comments.
thanks.
berge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-06, 04:58 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by berge
please read the MSDS of the products I mentioned AND THEN reply back with your comments.
thanks.
So you really believe that carb cleaner is ok to use on an IAC or maybe like an EGR solenoid or whatever? Well you go ahead believing that; I could easily prove you wrong, but there's no point you've been tainted by idiocy. Go ahead and use some carb cleaner on someones IAC and it will gunk up even more than it was before if it doesn't eat up the plastic first.

Last edited by Mikey851; 04-08-06 at 05:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)