Does your Legend crank but does not start? Here's a DIY diagnostic procedure - Page 4 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Ľ Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-29-08, 06:17 AM   #46 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94legendcpe View Post
have you checked the battery? Is your car attempting to start, but doesnt fire, or does it not even sound like the starter is engaging?
I use another car (and its battery).
Stater works fine first seconds then voltage goes down at all.
It seems like poor ground connection but I've checked everything.
Idol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-08, 05:52 PM   #47 (permalink)

Oh My Goodness! I signed up to this site to see if anyone was having the same problems. I have been having this problem for two years more in the summer than the winter. Currently my car is in the shop to see what's going on. Originally to me it sounded like one of my fuel injectors but now I don't know. Also just recently my temperture gauge goes up to H sometimes when but nothing is burning and I don't smell any thing. But I m going to try to make use of this information posted.

My check engine light is not on and I just had a diagnostic test and It didnt reveal anything. The battery is new, a major tune up, oil change, catlyic converter and new fuel filter was all done two weeks ago.

I really want to figure this out because it takes about 20 minutes to get the car started back up when it happens and this is not fun when its cold outside.

Last edited by Jamila; 02-29-08 at 05:58 PM. Reason: add/changes
Jamila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-08, 04:08 AM   #48 (permalink)

Mike-

We have tried to get my 91 coupe to start for a week and cant figure it out. We have checked the main relay, we have changed the spark plugs, we are getting fuel pressure, we changed out the crank/cam sensor and we have checked the ignitors.

I have a 93 Legend Sedan that runs great and we have been trying to switch parts back and forth because it is the same engine in order to determine what the problem is.

We have not tried to check the engine grounds, but the car cranks and sounds like it wants to turn over but never actually turns over and starts. Would the car still crank if the issue is engine grounds?

We have also set the timing belt but we set it based on the Chilton's guide and then we realized we set it to a Vigor because the Chilton's have Vigors, Integras and Legends all in one book. But we think it is only like 2 teeth off. Would that keep it from turning over?

Please let me know or feel free to call me with any help, if you can give me some advice that leads to the car starting then I would be more than willing to send you some money for your time and advice.

Thanks,
Christian Beeler 281-889-9944
cjzerocool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-08, 02:41 AM   #49 (permalink)

Mike-

We found the problem. We did compression tests on the cylinders and they were similar and different in 5 and 6, so we then off and decided to try to start the car and started immediately and sounded loud and like crap.

does that mean it is mixing compression and that the head gasket is bad?

Let me know, thanks.
cjzerocool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-08, 07:30 PM   #50 (permalink)

Car 1: 1995 Acura Legend GS

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Roger
Ok now I am having this problem cranking with no start, I have yet to get indepth with the evaluation but I wanted to explain what happened and maybe someone may have some insight.

I started my car this morning I was in a hurry and usually let it idle for a few seconds but I didn't this time and put it in reverse immediately and started driving upon which it stalled 10 feet later. I cranked and nothing just endless cranking with an occasional hicup like it was gonna start. All I have had a chance to do so far is inspect all the fuses which were fine and remove and visually inspect the main relay the solider joints looked good. Anyone have any insight before I continue down the list of possibilities tomorrow?

1995 Legend GS (sherwood Green)
My ride
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/608014
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-08, 12:22 PM   #51 (permalink)

Car 1: 92 Legend LS

im having this issue with my car. it only dosn't start every now and then.
so, i took it to a mechanic last week to have this looked at as well as get some brake and steering work done.
the mechanic first replaced my main relay because we both thought that was the common problem. turned out to still have issues after, so he then told me it was because my started igniter was bad. he charged me $500 for a new started igniter (is that rape$?) i took the car home and it seemed to be fixed i guess, but then the next day the exact problem happened and it took me about 10 min to get it started. im taking the car back to him Monday.
i want to know what anyone thinks could be the real problem. i dont want to pay this guy $500 for a part that wasn't the problem, but im not sure how to go about getting my money back. i sort of feel like they will find a bad ground or something and fix it and make up something about how i really do need this starter piece.
-any help is greatly appreciated.
92Legend09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-08, 05:33 PM   #52 (permalink)

hi guys,

this is some weird behavior:

- my car start normally every morning.
- also start normally every time if i leave the car for more than 15 mins aprox.

- but, when i stop the car for a lapse between 5 - 10 mins my baby crank but wont start.

when this happen, i have to wait like 10 mins and the car start again.

somebody can help me?

i can't get my starbucks without extra waiting!!!!
luixclid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-09, 01:45 PM   #53 (permalink)

Car 1: 1995 Sherwood Green Sedan

Send a message via AIM to GreenL
I have similar problems, my car will turn but not start, the only way it would start is when i put the car in neutral and turn the key while i hit the gas. any suggestions? i feel like its the main relay. if i buy a new relay its just a remove and reinstall correct?
GreenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 02:23 AM   #54 (permalink)
***ned

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
One thing to add:

With the ignition switch in the on position both the Check Engine MIL and the D4 (on Auto models) should come on for 3-5 seconds then go out. If the Check Engine MIL Stays on and the D4 light does not come on at all, the main relay is faulty.
1_Hot_Legend_LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-09, 03:48 PM   #55 (permalink)

Help stranded!! Wont start!

My car stopped on my friend at the gas station. He said the lights come on but it wont start. About two weeks ago after leaving work my car act like it didn't want to start. I tried again right away and it started up. The idle was rough. It felt like the engine was shaking almost. I let it run until the car settled down. No problem until a week later. I drove all day with no issues then I ran into a store and came right back out. It was DEAD! The lights wouldn't come on or anything. The alarm kept making weird noises but it didn't attempt to start. We tried to jump it with no success. So the next morning I purchased a brand new battery. It started up fine! Now today it stopped on my friend! I'm not there to test anything but do you guys have any ideas of what could be wrong?

Thanks
chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-09, 06:38 PM   #56 (permalink)

Car 1: 1992 Acura Legend

Smile Crank but won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Diaz View Post
UPDATE:
added ignition switch as a possible problem.
Added direct links to online service manual pages for the igniter and ignition switch.

I have a 92 Acura Legend, had the same problem, If you hold the key all the way to the right and it starts but when you let it go is stops, on my car it was the Ignition Switch, I purchased a brand new one OEM on ebay for $60.00, had my mechanic install it and no more problem.
arizonagayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-09, 09:58 AM   #57 (permalink)

It's fired up flawlessly up until last night. I haven't made any changes under the hood, and I've checked all the vacuum lines and ground wires mentioned in the thread.
jinshiyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-09, 01:27 PM   #58 (permalink)

Hey Mike,

I am new to this sight and have a new to me legend. 95 GS. having a few problems, wondering if I could talk with you. Phone is 352 551 5717. Thanks J Crouse
j.kansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-09, 05:19 PM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Ok now I am having this problem cranking with no start, I have yet to get indepth with the evaluation but I wanted to explain what happened and maybe someone may have some insight.

I started my car this morning I was in a hurry and usually let it idle for a few seconds but I didn't this time and put it in reverse immediately and started driving upon which it stalled 10 feet later. I cranked and nothing just endless cranking with an occasional hicup like it was gonna start. All I have had a chance to do so far is inspect all the fuses which were fine and remove and visually inspect the main relay the solider joints looked good. Anyone have any insight before I continue down the list of possibilities tomorrow?
I had the same issue, it was the EFI relay. Honda did a horrible thing and put a relay next to the battery and radiator...guess what kills electrical parts more than anything...HEAT!
Now if we can just get a law passed to make all relay covers clear I think it would make life easier on the world!
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-09, 05:23 PM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamila View Post
Oh My Goodness! I signed up to this site to see if anyone was having the same problems. I have been having this problem for two years more in the summer than the winter. Currently my car is in the shop to see what's going on. Originally to me it sounded like one of my fuel injectors but now I don't know. Also just recently my temperture gauge goes up to H sometimes when but nothing is burning and I don't smell any thing. But I m going to try to make use of this information posted.

My check engine light is not on and I just had a diagnostic test and It didnt reveal anything. The battery is new, a major tune up, oil change, catlyic converter and new fuel filter was all done two weeks ago.

I really want to figure this out because it takes about 20 minutes to get the car started back up when it happens and this is not fun when its cold outside.
Please read the threads about blown headgaskets...BHG
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)